Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi not working

I have the same problem with my new Hero7 and Android. Wtf?

Highlighted
Hiker

Just tried my new OnePlus6T, bought directly from the OP website.

5ghz seems to be working on the Hero 6 Black!

That's me sorted!

Highlighted
GoPro

We appreciate you posting this @thxtex

Would be a great help for other users with the same phone model.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Hiker

How is that a great help? He posted that 1 android phone out of hundreds work with your broken hardware.

A real great help would be if you actually listened to your customers and fixed it but we all know that won't happen.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi,

where do you life?

What Sim card did you insert into the phone?

And what Language / Region did you select when setting up the phone?

Android normally switch off the high bands in 5GHZ in certain regions like the EU.

Not all firmwares seems to react the same and Iphones seem to not do it, but the most Android phones.

Thanks,

Stefan

Highlighted
Hiker

In order of asking...

The UK.

O2

English/UK?

Like I said, direct from the manuafacture. Not sure what would come from a network.

Highlighted
Tourist

Happy Christmas 2018. Still not fixed.

If you've found this thread looking for answers....

GoPro has chosen to use 5GHz Band C which is the higher power, higher frequency 5GHz band. Everyone in Europe uses Band A. You actually need a license in the UK for Band C. Downloading 4k footage over 2.4GHz wifi is not practical. The Passengers App won't work at all with 2.4GHz. 

Some Android devices have the hardware to do it but it is turned off in software. If you are prepared to root your phone, you can open all the channels your hardware will support.

New Apple devices seem to work out of the box. Some international Samsung models seem to work but not EU region locked ones. 

GoPro advertise 5GHz wifi as a feature in Europe even though no bugger can use it. GoPro first line support have no idea what you're talking about. They will ask you what country you are in. Whatever country you say, they will reply that, "5GHz is not available in Serbia". No-one knows why.

Highlighted
Hiker

My Samsung S8+ bought in Denmark-Europe works perfekt on 5GHz, with my Gopro Black 7.

So i Think you are not right...