Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi not working

[ New ]

I've been in contact with Gopro support a couple of weeks ago regarding this and got very stubborn replies, as I've indicated previously.

Today I experimented with changing my location with the gopro.com website from Sweden to US, and then going to the support chat. Opening hours are now different, making me think that perhaps there are different support centers.

The support center (pacific time) just opened and I politely asked to file a bug report. The response I got was very polite and understanding, the operator asked me for relevant troubleshooting details.

Daisy Mae (2017-10-25 15:58:50): Thank you for all the information you shared to us.
Daisy Mae (2017-10-25 15:59:56): We recently receive an issue with the 5 GHz for the HERO6 Black especially in EMEA countries and I would like to inform you that we are still waiting for further information and troubleshooting steps.
Daisy Mae (2017-10-25 16:00:13): I'll keep you posted once we have the resolution for this one.
Me (2017-10-25 16:01:00): Ok that's good news. It helps greatly to know that you are working on a solution. Can you send me updates to my email adress?  
Daisy Mae (2017-10-25 16:01:27): Thank you so much for your understanding. We are currently investigating this issue and I'll send you an update via email.

This does make me feel much better about the situation.

Hiker

[ New ]

Looking at my chat transcripts, my recent conversation says San Mateo (which I guess is in California) and the previous (unpleasant) conversation says Lison (which I guess is in France).

I'm keeping my gopro.com website set to US from now on...

Tourist

[ New ]
bluejump5503: Great update! Thank you!
Hiker

[ New ]

I should stress that the treatment I got from Gopro's French support center was absolutely apalling. Very rude and incompetent. If anyone at Gopro US is interested in looking into the situation at Lison, I'll share my transcript with them.

I'm trusting that a solution to the 5 GHz debacle does surface from Gopro US in the near future.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I went over to states two weeks ago and didnt get my Gopro 3black with me.

Well i was at Target and found the 6 black (by this i didnt even know they released a new one)  so i checked it out on the web.  commercial and all . 

Super great.  5ghz band makes everything better was my thought so i bought two of them . one for my girlfriend and one for me. 

back at the hotel i tried to connect it with the 5ghz network to my Oneplus 5  (witch i always connect to 5ghz network at home) 

didnt get it to work. well. a few days later i was on the plane trying and trying but no luck. 

now back home in sweden i am a bit annoyed as i was hoping for faster transfers as promised. 
And ill know what my girl will say,  she is even more demanding then me. 

So here i am.  two gopro 6 with none working 5ghz as promised in commercial.  and it sucks. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the Samsung Note 8 and it has the same Snapdragon chipset and OS as your phone, and it connects to mine. Do you have your bluetooth on as well ?

Anonymous

[ New ]
Anonymous

[ New ]

yes

Anonymous

[ New ]

yep i could connect it but cant access it in the app .  it sucks. 

Hiker

[ New ]

geekslayer thanks but it has been confirmed in this thread that the Hero6 is transmitting on an illegal frequency. This thread is about that issue. Trying to connect at the illegal frequency isn't going to change that. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

What is illegal about trying to use it in an hotel in the US?, If I'm not mistaken he tried there after he bought it at Target. It's US phone and the same chipset that my phone has.

Hiker

[ New ]

geekslayer from what I can tell the phone was likely bought in Sweden. Most (if not all) phones bought in Europe will have the illegal frequencies disabled. Thus making it impossible to use the Hero6 on 5 GHz. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

@bluejump5503, have you got any further response on that topic yet?

Anonymous

[ New ]
Nothing.
Hiker

[ New ]
Wasn't there mention of a November firmware update? Hopefully a fix will show up then otherwise probably a lost cause.

Still waiting for my refund, they received my gopro 9 days ago, literally worst customer service I've encountered in a long time.
Anonymous

[ New ]

NO WI FI Connection ...

Again a NOGAF Award goes to 

The Wi Fi connection from GO PRO is faulty and is still in developement and field testing LOLOS ...  

I have the Samsung SM-7 -  G955f 

Yes I can now see why the investment industry is sitting back on the GO PRO 6 with NO improverment in the share price...

Go Pro support still sucks as it always has and no improverment this time around ..

There has been no effective response regarding a firmware update or acknowledgement of the Wi Fi problem..

Just again as in the past simply letting the Go Pro users get frusrated and twisted after buying the untested and underdeveloped product again and again...

Hiker

[ New ]

Just installed 1.60 and the 5ghz channel is still set to 161.

Hiker

[ New ]

No mention in the release notes, I'd quit whilst you're ahead. Had to theaten them with filing a charge back to get my refund, only took like a month....

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS 

Improves camera performance when recording in high frame rates of high resolution modes
Fixes split screen defect in 2.7k60 Linear FOV and 4k30 Superview FOV
Reduces image noise in high frame rate and high resolution modes
Improves image quality in low light environments
Adjusts color saturation to prevent  over-saturation in certain conditions
Fixes visual defects in 1080p240 during playback on iOS® and macOS® devices in certain conditions
USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS
Reduces the time required for media to load on the camera and GoPro app
Auto Low Light now works with Quikcapture
Tourist

[ New ]

I can confirm, ver. 1.60, still connect to channel 161 (5805/20-eeeC/ac) and issue not mentioned in changelog.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I can confirm the Go Pro Hero 6 released update today still fails to resolve the Wi Fi connection problem.

Also the Hero 6 still has the audio drop off problem on ramdom video files when being recoded using a mic attached..

Also the Hero 6 camera locks up and freezes when recording in 4k and you try to play back in camera ..

The only work around is the OLD Go Pro handshake trick of frequently removing the battery for a standard Go Pro reboot 

Nuts 

Anonymous

[ New ]
How is this ridiculous issue A: Even here in the first place and B: Not sorted yet!

Why do such companies believe there is no country outside the USA and not test their products accordingly!

Got my 6 Yesterday and this issue cost me more time than any other, scandalous!

Sort it GoPro although i suspect you won't!
Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi guys. Received my new Gopro Hero6 yesterday from Amazon.de and got exactly the same connection with my Oneplus 3. Also updated to 1.60. I would be really interested to see how a bunch of gopros would stream video if all of them are transmitting with channel 161 at the same time, without the possibility to automatically shift to another channel.
I also question myself regarding the transmitting power. Not only the channels can be illegal (or needing a license to operate) but you also have limitations within the transmitting power. One said before that the power was around 1000 mW? Anyone can confirm? If thats the case for 5ghz, it should be the same for 2.4ghz, which makes it illegal in most EU.
Cheers
Anonymous

[ New ]

Dont expect to get any answers or solutions.  

Gopro is on downgoing spiral.  

and up for sale. 

They even dropped the price of the 6 after i bought it with 100 dollars . and it sucks. bigtime. 

for the next camera i will be looking at something more stable.  both technology and support wise. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hey,
Yes, I know and its a pitty. The problem is that if you take a look for the entire package, this is one of the best action cams in the market and with the quality and specs that they have, it's really hard to find a better alternative. (Ex: 4k 60fps is not for everyone)
Cheers
Anonymous

[ New ]

I know.   But atleast you can get a brand that answers your Support messages. 

and also not brag about functions that aint working irl  like the 5ghz problem. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Hello Guys, I am from Greece and i have purchased 2 Gopro 6.

When i Bought my first one i had a Samsung Note 8 (european version) and wifi @ 5ghz was working perfectly. I could transfer videos of many MB in a couple of Seconds!!

I tried to connect it with a LG G6, LG V30, Huawei Mate 10 Pro and HTC u11. 

None of them could work @ 5GHz!!! 

My conclusion is that most cellphones work at a small range of frequencies whereas the top of samsung and apple can work at better range!

I am really sorry about gopro because these days they gave a new update and they didnt fix it!! It is so easy to give a wide range of frequencies and let all phones work that i am really mad with the brand!!

If someone could talk with support department, just tell them what i told you. I really wonder, all these people who work for gopro, have only new samsung or apple phones??

nobody uses another brand? or nobody uses their products?

Hiker

[ New ]

Just came back to see if this was resolved yet (Low expectations), anyone know if this changed with the 2.0 update? 

Hiker

[ New ]

Still doesn't work with firmware HD6.01.02.01.00

Remember the problem with external microphone not working with QuikCapture on the Hero5 Black? This was a known flaw within a month of release (as documented in this forum). But Gopro couldn't be bothered to resolve it, despite promises. 

I asked support, and was promised that this specific problem was in fact resolved with the Hero6. Was it? No. On my Hero6 sometimes it works, it often doesn't. If I manually boot the camera and then press record, it works every time. Which means the problem is 100% in the camera software.  

Will we ever have working 5 GHz wifi with a future Gopro camera? Honestly, it seems that we never will. 

Frankly, and this may be harsh to say, but I feel the situation seems to be that Gopro management failed to retain its skilled developers. Now all that's left is the marketing department. It's a hollow shell. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone, 

Are you all still having issues even with the latest firmware version for the HERO6 Black camera? If you do, it would be best to connect with our Support team for a more personalized support. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Moreover, If it would help, here is an article about external microphone adapter: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/HERO5-Black-External-Microphone-Information 

Thank you all for your feedback. We're always looking to our customers to help shape the direction of our products and services, so we appreciate your comments as well as your suggestions. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]
Not updated FW, still on 1.6 but it is now working on my new galaxy s9+ unlocked from Samsung in the UK.
Tourist

[ New ]
Does your GoPro Hero6 work with 5ghz wifi on s9+ ?
Anonymous

[ New ]
Working for me yes
Anonymous

[ New ]
good afternoon
Can you write the full model number of your Samsung s9+?
Anonymous

[ New ]
samsung s9+ model sm-g965f is working with Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi
Anonymous

[ New ]
Spoiler
Smiley Happy
Anonymous

[ New ]

Looks like no one in gopro company doesn't Reed community .

In a lot of countries 161 band of 5ghz is illegal .

Android os (started from 7 and 8) have function automatically block illegally bands when you put your sim-card (it blocked all illegally bands for your country). That's mean the same phone will see 5ghz gopro in one country, and will not in other.

Please, gopro, hear us, and change Standart 5ghz band from 161 to something lower. We paying for modern products and want use it fully. Thats not a big deal.

Hiker

[ New ]

I dont think so that this is the problem..

I have purchased many cellphones tha last months and i found out that 5Ghz works only with samsung and apple. This means that most it has nothing to do with illegal frequenses. It is just a problem of cell phone manufactors that do not support this frequency, and gopro should find another one that works with more brands..

Hiker

[ New ]

Read the rest of this thread, it's been proven multiple times that it is illegal to use this frequency in the vast majority of countries outside of the US, chances are even if you can connect using a Samsung or Apple you are breaking the law without holding a valid license. 

As I have also stated in the past the only reason GoPro has ended up using this in the first place is because the GoPro was only actually tested in the US, in Europe you can simply 'self certify' an electronic device without having it checked and approved by a 3rd party testing facility. If they did test it properly it would be deemed an illegal device for retail use for anywhere in Europe. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
My old Sony Z3 compact works properly (android 6)
New Sony XZ2 Compact not see gopro (Android 8).

I read a lot of Android community, and finded that starting from Android 7 it can blocking illegally bands for actual country. All new phones working with 161 band, just not in all countries.

I also finded that in my country 161 band already legally from November 2017, but Sony doesn't want listen me and doesn't want read official statement docs.
As sample Keenetic already updated firmwares for my country, and them routers already works in 161 band.
Hiker

[ New ]

mariustanya

Even after the update, the camera still transmits illegaly on channel 161 (I have confirmed this again). It's still not possible to set it to a different channel on the 5 GHz band. So of course it still doesn't work. It's easy for you to check this yourself with a Hero6 if you have a smartphone allowed to transmit on that channel and an app installed that will show the channels of available access points.

Regarding the external microphone, notice the text in red on that page. That's now a bug officially confirmed by GoPro then, affecting the type of microphone that most people intend to connect I'm sure. And you still haven't solved it after 1 ½ years. When I bought my Hero6 and pro 3.5mm adapter, GoPro certainly didn't admit this. In fact, when I contacted Gopro support as the Hero6 had just been released, I was promised that this specifically DID work. I was lied to.

Marius, I have contacted GoPro support many times regarding the illegal 5 GHz channel issue. I have been polite, yet been met with astonishing arrogance several times. It's as if their only purpose is to pacify users, rather than help them and report/fix actual problems. Trying to put up smoke screens by claiming that things have been fixed when in fact they haven't is very irritating and arrogant. If GoPro actually thinks it has a solution to my problems, they can contact me directly.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I wrote that samsung s9 + model sm-g965f is working with Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi, but after updating the program GoPro to version 4.5.1 it stopped connecting to the camera when installing 5 GHz. I had to change the settings to 2.4 GHz. now my samsung s9 + model sm-g965f is NOT working with Hero6 Black 5 GHz wi-fi. It seems that the developers do it on purpose to irritate their fans. I already threw this camera on the far shelf, I do not use it anymore because Hero6 Black is just rubbish. In vain the money spent.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bluejump5503

Thank you for the feedback. I will pass the information you shared along to the team. I will post back on this thread once I get an update. 

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thank you for sharing. I have noted this information and forwarded it to the team, too. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I appreciate you've finally taken notice of this issue (Even if it has taken 7 months!) but please don't just 'Forward it to the team', THIS NEEDS TO BE RESOLVED.

Can you please give us a real, technical response as to why this hasn't been fixed yet (It's a simple config change that would literally take 2 minutes of a developers time), and when you are actually going to apply a fix. So far you've left your customers high and dry which is doing nothing but dragging your already tarnished company reputation further through the mud. 

Hiker

[ New ]

5Ghz was really a selling point as it changes the experience we have from our gopro 6 when we use it live on our cell phone or when we want to transfer the large files that the camera creates. I really wonder if those who work for gopro use the camera. The only way not to see the problem is to have one of the devices that still work on 5ghz, and they are only samsungs, apples and some others, just few.

Hiker

[ New ]

Read my post at the end of the last page (11), it explains why this has been overlooked for so long. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya A progress report please?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @wisted89, 

Still waiting for an update. 

Thanks, 

Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya Been nearly another 2 weeks, I don't believe you're 'Still waiting for an update', what's going on? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @twisted89

Thank you for regularly checking for updates. Support has identified that there are locations/countries that do not allow devices to emit a 5-GHz Wi-Fi band. There is a need to know from which country the camera is sourced from in order to determine the path forward. Should you need further assistance on this matter, you can get in touch with Support via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya appreciate the reply but I don't really know what you're asking, why would where the camera is sourced from affect any of this? It's where the camera is being used, not where it's from...

Also, it's not a case of 'some countries' - as stated by multiple users in this thread and some even mentioned by your own leadership team (see https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero6-Black-5-GHz-wi-fi-not-working/m-p/67657#) it is not allowed for public use without a license in almost every country outside the US! 

Myself and several others have been down your support line multiple times already just to be fobbed off and told it's not their problem so this is up to you to chase and resolve. I'm not doing all the work again, this is your job! 

You still haven't even answered my original question about why you're not just letting users select their country and adjust the WiFi channel accordingly. Changing a WiFi channel is extremely simple from a development point of view so PLEASE chase one of your technical team and give me a valid response as to why this hadn't been done and when it will be fixed.  And no copy-paste robot response, we've all seen enough of that already.