Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero5 black get moist and wet inside.

I'm not saying that there are not GoPro Hero5 Black cameras that do not have water seal issues, but I can attest to then being waterproof by design and I believe most must hold up just fine. While complaints posted on forums and social media sites can make it appear that all of the cameras have issues, this is still a small number considering the hundreds of thousands sold. Granted, not everyone takes their camera in the water and not everybody post issues, but I think by now there would be a much louder outcry, especially on sites that do tech reviews and would love a catchy tag line like, We tested the GoPro and it failed in water".

I surf, swim and dive with my Hero5 Black and it hasn't failed yet. Obviously there are some cameras that have had issues. Some appear to be user error and some, like the water behind the front LCD are clearly due to structural issues. Whether that is from the camera being dropped, banged, squeezed, or just manufactures defect, I do not know. What I do know is it's not hard to test if it was user error not closing/cleaning the door correctly and GoPro has always been good about exchanging products with a defect.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well, I guess I'm just one of those unlucky users who got a defective unit.  I don't want to get into details but I've been working in an electronics manufacturing company ones in a quality department so I know how the manufacturing process works and there's just times that defective products slips through due to a lot of factors and I guess I was just unlucky to receive a defective one.

I'm not posting here to defame the name of goPro, all I want is I get a better service on my defective unit and get a quality product equivalent to the money I paid for.

Highlighted
Explorer

I totally get where you're coming from.

I think you should tell them to submerge the camera for an hour and see if it leaks. If it does, it's obviously not your fault and should be replaced.

I'm sorry you're going through all of this. I always order through GoPro so I know I'll get trouble free returns/exchanges if need be. Luckily I've only used it twice. Once on a Hero3 that was giving me a "No SD" error and the other for a Quik Key that stopped working. Both times they were super helpful and I had my exchange within a week. I know this doesn't help you personally, I just write it (and about my experience with Hero5 Black being waterproof) for anyone else that might read this post. Please don't think I'm misreading your comments as bashing GoPro. Your"waterproof" camera got damaged and naturally you're upset about the run around you are getting.
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

This happens to me too. Customer support is basically nonexistent. I've been calling daily for over a month, on hold for hours at a time. Try different times of the day and never got through. Chat line is busy EVERY SINGLE TIME! I'm absolutely furious at this time. I'm currently in Puerto Escondido and have missed a big wave surf competition as well as the annual gathering of giant sea turtles solely because GoPro has the absolute worst customer service of any company I've ever encountered! [Edit]. I will NEVER buy another gopro product until they can honor their customers and their warranties basic expectations of communication!

Highlighted
Tourist

hi i bought my hero 5 this year in japan. yesterday, september 28, 2017 i merge the hero 5 just 1 foot in the river, but when i went home, when i open the battery to change it,  i notice water in the batt, and i dnt know how the water get in. all is lock, now my back panel lcd has some watery smudges. what would i do with this one? i am now in the philippines.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi Robby,

The best thing you should do is go to gopro support, the link is on the thread. The only problem is if you are in the Philippines, the best way to contact them is through chat support and they are not open 24/7 for those who don't have additional service plan. Timezone is also another issue, and you have to have a little bit of patience once you are in specially if you are on a long queue.

It is also best to take a photo of your device like the LCD where water is deposited, sidedoor and battery panel. They will ask you bunch of questions so you have to have the actual device with you.

I learned this the hard way where I sent my gopro to the shop where I bought it here in the Philippines, shop shipped it to their repair center which they said is gopro, then received a call from the repair center that they can't fixed it and advise me to contact gopro support instead. They shipped my defective device, took over a month to arrive and until now I'm still coordinating with the shop or repair center to replace it since my case with gopro was already closed.

Its been almost 6 months now and my issue isn't resolved. That will be the first and last I will buy a gopro device.

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi there! Just today my hero5 had moister inside even if the the lockes were fully closed, i’ve sumbmerged this many times already, i was wondering why my unit was very hot after submersion, an i noticed that my battery was also hot and curroded, i didnt try to turn the unit on as i am afraid that the problem will get worse, what to so? Please help!! 😢
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi there! Just today my hero5 had moister inside even if the the locked were fully closed, i’ve sumbmerged this many times already, i was wondering why my unit was very hot after submersion, an i noticed that my battery was also hot and curroded, i didnt try to turn the unit on as i am afraid that the problem will get worse, what to do? Please help!! 😢
Add Comment