Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero5 black get moist and wet inside.

Hi, I bought my Hero 5 couple of weeks ago and just tested it yesterday when I went to the falls and dip it in water. The depth is not even beyond 2 meters and not that long but after that I noticed the water leaked in the front LCD. Turned the device off and didn't use it and later noticed the device became hot and so I opened the battery storage bank and found water inside it. I quickly removed the battery and the memory card from it.

And so I looked in the forum and saw this thread, it seems that this is a known issue with Hero 5 and I believe its a design issue if not a defect in manufacturing. I will return the device from which I bought it and claim the warrantly and have it replaced or get my money refunded.

18745176_10210956947711393_1909295525_o.jpg
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@Anonymous - If you are seeing a leak into the front LCD, please contact our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus. We'll take a look at your issue and see what can be done to help.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Anonymous

@jefft- thank you for your advise, will be in touch with the support team as you suggested and see how it goes. Hope I get a positive feedback from them. This was my first unit from GoPro and the impression I have after the incident is not good.

Highlighted
Anonymous

@jefft - I've been trying to connect through live chat support since yesterday but no luck. Phone call is not an option for me because its expensive calling outside the Philippines where I reside. Also, its says that chat support is 24/7 but the business hours is just 8am to 5pm European time? Its an issue as we have different timezones.

Since there is a 30 day money back guarantee, will I be able to claim this at the retail store where I bought the unit?

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Chat support is available 24/7 for GoPro Care customers. If you're a GoPro Care customer, be sure to log into your account at GoPro.com first.

The 30 day return policy only applies to cameras bought at GoPro.com. If you bought the camera at another store, you'll want to check on their specific return policies.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Just an update on the issue I have with my unit. I took my defective unit at the store where I bought it, they took the unit but instead of replacing it, sent it to their official repair shop for checking and hope to repair it. Not sure though if gopro accredit those repair shop and then yesterday I received a call from the store for an update on my defective unit. They stated that, my warranty got void due to the unit that got wet inside and the warranty only covers manufacturing defect.

Its that most ridiculuous and irrational statement I have ever heard. Its seems like they are pointing that its a user issue? In the first place, how will you test the device if its really waterproof as advertised if you don't dip it in the water which by the way is the main reason why most user buy gopro Hero5 since they claim that its waterproof without the need of an external case. I'm not a novice when it comes to these devices, I made sure that everything is sealed before I dip it in the water. I'm pretty sure that my case is a sample of a manufacturing defect. Why would I spend quite an expensive amount of money just to intentionally destroy the product after first use?

Told the store sales person that I will not accept their reasoning and demanded that they have it fixed or have my money refunded.

I am extremely disappointed by my experience. I'm hoping that someone from gopro will help me resolve my case.

Highlighted
Explorer

I don't believe GoPro has repair centers. It seems simple enough to me for them to test if it was user error or manufacture defect. Tell them to dunk the camera after THEY have closed all the doors. If water gets inside the camera, obviously it's a manufacture defect. If not, then I guess it's possible you didn't have something closed correctly. Being that you said you did, I suspect even they won't be able to keep the water out. In which case, they should repair/replace the camera.

I'm wondering if they really do repair and if it's legitimate GoPro service. Maybe all they do is take the camera, notify GoPro and try to get an exchange and then charge you for the "repair". Since they couldn't get an exchange suddenly it can't be repaired?
Highlighted
Anonymous

I also doubt goPro has a legitimate service center. In my opinion, if they will repair the unit which is not a legitimate goPro service center, chances are that the unit will get damaged again once its dipped in the water if the rubber seals are not properly placed.

There's been quite a number of users complaining about the same issue for Hero5 which I don't think are all users error. I can even provide the video as proof that the depth is not even beyond 1 meter which goPro guaranteed to be safe as long as it doesn't go beyond 10 meters