Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero5 Session: Wifi vs. Bluetooth

The wifi connection between the phone is reading a signal coming from the camera, not from the Internet or a modem. Your phone can only connect to one wifi signal at a time, so if it connects to the camera's wifi signal, it will not be connected to your home networks at that time. 

Since the wifi signal is coming from the camera itself, it doesn't really matter where you are. You can be camping or hiking or on a boat, etc. There's no connection to the larger world's Internet when you're connecting the camera and the phone.

If you are having trouble connecting your camera to the app, our team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus can help troubleshoot that with you.

Jeff

Highlighted
Anonymous

I have been having issue with the App actually connecting to the camera. Keeps telling me I have to "Try Again" or turn off the camera and turn it back on and try reconnecting the wifi and bluetooth. And that fails... Bluetooth won't connect automactically I have to manual do it, and often it drops. I have an iPhone 7Plus and Hero 5 Black.. and all updates are current

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @Anonymous, 

Give the steps in this article a try. If you are still having issues go ahead and reach out to support directly: https://goo.gl/uQSYSN

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Sightseer

i have the hero 5 black and it wont stay connected either. 

how can I get the app to connect to the GoPro automatically every time i open the capture app?

Highlighted
Tourist

I have same issue.  The GoPro app (Capture), tries to wake up the Gopro (I can see the BT icon on my iphone status bar pulse, and stays on for a few seconds, and goes dim again).  Then I go to my phones Wifi setting, buyt my GoPro 5 ssid never appears in the wifi list.  The camer and phone paired initially, and worked fine to start recording.  But after the camera has been recording for a few minutes, I'm never able to reconnect my phone to the camera.  If I Stop recording manually (pressing the gopro shutter button), then I'm able to reconnect the camera to my phone.  The (repeatable) problem seems to be the phone cannot connect to a recording camera after record has been going on for several minutes.  Hugely Annoying to say the least.  Is the is the intended behavior or a bug??

Highlighted
Tourist

My concern is wifi interfering with Traxxas quad copter control signal. Does wifi disable when out of range? Can session communicate exclusively via bt. Smartphone indicates connected but gp refuses pairing. Thanks!
Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi,

I'm trying to maintain a wifi connection to a HERO5 black from a PC. We are using it for a dedicated note-taking application when doing interviews. The camera is on constant power, so we don't need to worry about battery drain.

Now - our application worked perfect on HERO3+, but on HERO5, the wifi times out after 10 minutes.

When this happens, I have no way of reconnecting, unless I implement a Bluetooth protocol (which is really not that easy - partly due to lack of documentation).

Instead I will use the stretagy of keeping the wifi connection alive, but I have tried a number of UN-successful methods:

- sending a wake-on-lan every minute

- sending an HTTP status request every minute

- start/stopping a recording every minute

- every minute to disconnect the wifi (from the PC) and immediately after reconnecting (it reconnects in the 10-.minute wondow, but hereafter it doesn't)

- start a recording and letting it continue (recording continues, but wifi is dropped).

So I am now out of ideas. Any suggestion? Is there a setting for the time-out that could be set to "indefinite"?

If forced to use Bluetooth, is there any documentation?

...since these recordings is an integral part of our work, we need cameras we can use for this.

best regards,

Nikolaj Nøhr-Rasmussen

Volvo Cars

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

After 10 minutes, the camera is likely going into the standby mode. Using the bluetooth connection is going to be the best option. The bluetooth runs in the background while the wifi signal is on. If the wifi connection isn't used for a while (10 minutes), the camera drops that wifi signal to save battery power. It keeps the low-powered bluetooth signal on though so the camera and the app can still have a link. Then, if you want to reactivate the wifi connection, you use the app and the app via bluetooth tells the camera to turn its wifi signal back on so you can reconnect.

There's not a lot of documentation on this, but you can find some information at https://gopro.com/help/articles/Question_Answer/What-is-Bluetooth-Connectivity-How-Does-it-Differ-Fr....