Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero5 Session Telemetry

@maplepanda I did that months ago. Thanks
Highlighted
Nomad

Nope.

It seems like we have to wait for a software update.

I'll see if any of the mods can help.

@danielr15 @jefft @mattb 

Highlighted
Explorer

Thanks for the mention but I'm not a moderator, just a GoPro user.

If you aren't getting answers through the support team you might want to try and get ahold of someone in the developer program https://developer.gopro.com/info

What answer did you get from the support team? If you emailed them a ticket number was generated. If the answer was, "I don't have that information" ask them who does.
Highlighted
Nomad

@danielr15 I don't think they ever replied, or nothing more than a copypasted, irrelevant, answer. I can't find their email now. Trying through the developer program might be a good idea. Thanks!

@maplepanda No, according to all the info I gathered (see my two longer posts) telemetry data is CURRENTLY being saved in the mp4 files. We just need a means of extracting that data from the GPMF (GoPro Metadata Format).

Highlighted
Anonymous

Would love to hear any feedback if and when you receive a response from the developers.

Highlighted
Nomad

We've got news in the right direction; a developer called Styilldavid has put toghether some tools that allow us to extract the data!

https://github.com/stilldavid/gopro-utils

This requires some technical knowledge and has its quirks, but opens the door to lots of fun experiments.

By default, the code just exports GPS data, but I've been able to tweak it to export gyroscope and accelerometer data. That includes data from the Hero5 Session, even in 4K, which means we can have off-camera image stabilisation in post-production, and probably also in high frame rates such as 120 (H5 Black). The gyro is 400Hz, so speed should not be a problem.

I'll put toghether some instructions on how to do all this when I have some spare time.

Highlighted
Explorer

Very cool.
Highlighted
Nomad

@kajuna wrote:

We've got news in the right direction; a developer called Styilldavid has put toghether some tools that allow us to extract the data!

https://github.com/stilldavid/gopro-utils

This requires some technical knowledge and has its quirks, but opens the door to lots of fun experiments.

By default, the code just exports GPS data, but I've been able to tweak it to export gyroscope and accelerometer data. That includes data from the Hero5 Session, even in 4K, which means we can have off-camera image stabilisation in post-production, and probably also in high frame rates such as 120 (H5 Black). The gyro is 400Hz, so speed should not be a problem.

I'll put toghether some instructions on how to do all this when I have some spare time.

nice finding!