Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero5 Rarely working

Hi,
So after years of being unable to justify the cost of a GoPro, I decided to buy a Hero5 after seeing so many of my favourite athletes using them.

At first I was pretty excited, the camera is so small and versatile, the video quality is great, all the different settings make for so many options.

Then I went to use it in a silent room, and the microphone on the camera creates an annoying amount of white noise from total silence. While walking down the street and talking into the camera a slight breeze rolled through and on playback almost completely covered my speech. Yes, the wind setting is checked. This is an issue I can deal with or work around.

The probem I am now having is that the GoPro seems to work less often than when it doesn't. I turn the camera on, start recording and "SD Error". At first it was a matter of just restarting the camera and trying again. Then it became restarting the camera multiple times to get it to work. Again not a huge issue, standing around trying to get it to perform it's main purpose is pretty frustrating but I can deal with that.

The real issue comes after messing about with the camera to get it to record, managing to get it to work and capturing the footage I want, then after half a day/full day of riding, it crashes one more time and decides to wipe all of the footage from that day.

This has now happened a second time, a full day of footage completely gone. This is my second memory card. I have formatted them with the GoPro before use.

What can I do here? I can't afford to spend any more money to get this thing to work, the initial cost, plus memory card and accessories was quite enough as it is.

I apologise for the rant but I'm sure you can imagine that after being sceptical about the cost and then finally coughing up the money for one, I'm basically met with an expensive problem.

I would appreciate a response from the GoPro team to figure out how to sort this out.

Regards,
Patric
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero5 Rarely working

@patricgrossmith - It sounds like the issue is with the SD card you're using. What maker and model is it?

Also, if you haven't already, please try the steps outlined at https://gopro.com/help/articles/Solutions_Troubleshooting/NO-SD-or-SD-ERR-on-Camera-s-LCD.

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for your reply,

I have tried the steps on that page after I had the issue the first time.

The first SD card I was using is a Sandisk Ultra 32GB, don't know the model number.

The SD card I'm currently using is a Samsung Evo Plus 128GB Class10 model number: MB-MC128GA/CA

Thanks,
Patric

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Thanks. Neither of those cards are ones we list as being compatible with our cameras. If you have access to one of the cards we recommend at https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations, please try that and see if it helps with your issues.

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

Update.

So went and bought one of the supported cards.

Worked great for a few days.

Now I'm having the same issue again, SD card error and footage deleted.

Any other suggestions, because I don't want to keep throwing money at this.

Patric