Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero5 Black won't pair with my Android... and I think I know why!

Hero5 Black, running 02.60 firmware

Nexus Galaxy 5X, running Android 8.1.0

GoPro App 5.0 (7533)

Symptom: After resetting connections on the camera, then running through the add camera procedure in the app - the app finds the camera, and then asks for the password .... I enter it... and it shows the spinning circles... but never connects and both sides timeout eventually.

After reading many things - I tried deleting the WIFI entry for my camera in my phone... and noticed something odd: There were two entries:  "GP27101234" and "GoPro 1234". The later has the annotation "Saved by GoPro". Now, the thing is - the WIFI network created by the camera is named "GP27101234".... (it shows up in my computers WIFI list). AND I noticed that when trying to connect to this GoPro, the app never successfully changes my WIFI setting on the phone to the camera's WIFI. It does this WIFI dance just fine with my GoPro4 Session.

The app is confused about the name of the WIFI network it should use.

Looks like a bug in the GoPro app, to me.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero5 Black won't pair with my Android... and I think I know why!

Hi @mtnviewmark

We do our best to ensure that the GoPro App works on every device but this is nearly impossible due to the nature of the OS. Android is a fragmented operating system with a myriad of devices running different hardware and software specs. These inconsistencies make it extremely challenging to ensure that the app will work flawlessly on every device.

Android Devices:
We are always trying to improve Quik for mobile. If you want to help, please become a beta tester! 

Share your feedback, ideas, feature requests, bug reports, screenshots on the Facebook Groups, be as precise as possible, give step-by-step information as well as phone specs. WE RESPOND TO EVERYONE!

• Ask to join our super users group on Facebook
  • On your device, go to the Play Store, search for Quik, scroll down and tap on "Join the beta"
  • Updates of the beta are sent regularly by the dev team, do update!
  • You can leave the beta program anytime

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Tourist

Support wanted to replace my GoPro... but I found an old Android device, and had no problem pairing with that.

Moto X (1st gen), running Android 5.1

GoPro App 5.0 (7533) -- same as on other device.

So - this is pointing to some problem with the GoPro app, between different versions of Android.

BTW: I'd happily submit this is a bug report with details --- only I couldn't find any way to submit a bug to GoPro.  Is there one?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @mtnviewmark

We do our best to ensure that the GoPro App works on every device but this is nearly impossible due to the nature of the OS. Android is a fragmented operating system with a myriad of devices running different hardware and software specs. These inconsistencies make it extremely challenging to ensure that the app will work flawlessly on every device.

Android Devices:
We are always trying to improve Quik for mobile. If you want to help, please become a beta tester! 

Share your feedback, ideas, feature requests, bug reports, screenshots on the Facebook Groups, be as precise as possible, give step-by-step information as well as phone specs. WE RESPOND TO EVERYONE!

• Ask to join our super users group on Facebook
  • On your device, go to the Play Store, search for Quik, scroll down and tap on "Join the beta"
  • Updates of the beta are sent regularly by the dev team, do update!
  • You can leave the beta program anytime

Regards,

Ej