Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Hero5 Black Freezing

Having the same problem, completely freezes on a black screen after taking a picture then nothing works- the battery must be removed to power it back on, only to freeze after a picture is taken again. $400 piece of garbage.
Tourist

Faced the same issue several times. Unfortunately it was underwater and I could not remove battery...

Anonymous

Hello! I have the same issue, my camera frozes when watching video playback. The screen turns black/bluish, I'm currently using the Sandisk extreme micro sd card.
Gopro support was of no help, they just keep telling you to manually update, change micro sd card (even though the camera came with it), and then try different battery. Does anyone know if changing the micro sd will solve the problem? Like maybe using a lexar. Thanks in advance.
Anonymous

Gunslinger0x, my experience with GP customer service was a nightmare- I'll spare you the details, pretty much the same thing.. but YES get a different SD card. I found one forum that suggested sandisk and GP are working out issues.. I was desperate and couldn't find a lexar card, but Best Buy did have a Samsung card, so I tried that and my camera works perfectly now. Good luck!
Anonymous

Absolutly the same here. Going to give it one more attempt, otherwise Amazon here we come!

Really disappointed with the kit at the moment

@Anonymous wrote:

Received the camera yesterday,

Charged it fully,

updated the firmware with the software on pc

started recording videos and taking pictures to try it out today

I noticed the camera froze very randomly, making it impossible to do anything for several minutes. The lcd goes black, and the front remains frozen. Pressing the power button does nothing.

The SD card is a high standart Lexar pro 32go.

Since this issue appears randomly, it's hard to find a pattern!

Anybody experiencing the same thing?

Any solution?

I still have 14days to return from amazon which i may sadly use...

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue too. Using the right card. First time this week @home and ahd to remove te battery. Today when I was diving. It froze completely.  I was so happy that I took my 3+ too. My beleve is the GP5 was not ready to market. I have issues withe wireless connecting to my phone and now the freezing, The hard way to get the battery out and replace it, change memory card is hard and I hate the USB-C connector another usb standard that I did not have. I't is also an tight fit in the super suit housing and hard to get out.

Please gopro come with some good upates and an 5.1 with the desgin issues fixed.

Sightseer

I was charging my GoPro Hero 5 and then installed some software on my computer and the camera just froze. The solid red light of death and no response from the camera.  To solve it I simply pressed both the red circle at the top of the camera and power button simultaneously for about 10 seconds.  The camera beeped a few times and came back to life. Seems to do a hard boot.

Now going to upgrade the firmware and see if that prevents it. But this should bring your camera back to life.

Sightseer

Just purchased a GoPro5 two weeks ago. Took it on a trip and been experiencing the same exact issues (here in 2017) as above. It randomly & continuously freezes in the middle of recordings and nothing can be done (besides removing the battery). This caused me to miss out on awesome footage of great white sharks (only capturing a 1min video, on a 2hr excursion). One time is ok, but multiple times during the same session is unacceptable. I've just returned to the States, & plan on returning my camera unless this issue can be fixed. Highly disappointed in gp5!!!