Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Hero4 Silver freezing issue

[ New ]
If your having these issues filming at 1080/30 and have recently formatted the card, then it most likely isn't the SD card. If it's happening at higher resolutions/fps then trying a faster card might help. The 633x is good for lower resolution/fps but to get reliable performance at higher resolutions/fps Samsung Pro/Pro+ is what I use. Perhaps just get a 16GB as they are much cheaper. If it works, consider a bigger card. Also, even if you are in the latest firmware, it's always good to try a manual update and see if it resolves your issue. I have two Lexar 633X cards. One lasted about a year before it gave me issues. The other one is two years old and performing fine.
Tourist

[ New ]

I'd much prefer to repair this one. How difficult is it to repair?

Tourist

[ New ]
I would like to fix the camera also.
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks for the input. I typically use the camera for photos and videos while cycling and normally use lower resolution settings. It seems strange that the lexar 633x card has worked fine for 20 months and now it is somehow corrupted. I've done everything that has been suggested here multiple times (reupdating firmware, manually formatting the card, holding various combination of buttons, etc.) except buying a new card. I've also contacted gopro support as well and while they haven't suggested buying a new card they have recommended trying a different card from a friend or from a store that sells gopros. 

I'm going to investigate replacing the CCD as has been suggested here.

Anonymous

[ New ]

The problem I have is everyone keeps saying to buy this, then when it doesn't work, but that ... yes, only $50 vs. $500.  But, I will never buy another GoPro.  Considering they know something isn't working and doesn't step up and provide a new one or a better resolution than buy stuff and pray it works is pathetic.

I have done new cards, updated firmware, and nothing works.  If I keep buying things hoping to get it to work, I will be close to a new Hero5, $399 on Amazon - and even that is too expensive after the experience I have had with them.

Tourist

[ New ]
I think the same, I feel like GoPro laughed at me in not trying to help with a problem, they know it's from them.
Tourist

[ New ]

I did find instructions for replacing the image sensor and it looks doable. However, the replacement sensor is not in stock. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/GoPro+Hero4+Silver+Image+Sensor+Replacement/50323

Tourist

[ New ]

Lot of in stock: https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/100-NEW-Original-Gopro-Hero4-Camera-CCD-Image-Sensor-COMS-Assembly-Pa...

)or simple search for other seller).

You may need ajust focus after sensor replacement.