Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Hero4 Silver freezing issue

[ New ]
I have no argument against anything you're saying except about Nikon. It's hard to say why you might here less complaints but the only comparable camera by Nikon is the Nikon Mission. The Mission barely compares to the Hero4/5 Black and has far less features or capabilities and cost about the same. I seriously doubt they have sold even a modest fraction of the amount of GoPro cameras with their Nikon Mission, even with the brand name.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm not comparing their products based on functionality, I'm just saying that other companies have better QA and would have caught a factory defect like this.

I had an LG phone, that had a factory defect, where something was worng with the motherboard, and it just shorted out one day.  I brought it to Sprint, and even though it was out of warranty, LG replaced the phone since it was a factory issue and not something that I did.

That's the same here with the H4S.  This is a chip problem that happened in the factory, they should stand by their product and own it when they make a mistake.

I'm not saying that Nikon or LG make action cameras.  I'm saying that they also make complicated electronic gadgets, but stand by their quality, and own up to their mistakes.

Anonymous

[ New ]
My camera has been frozen up for 2 months now and still within warranty. The bigger problem seems to be the fact that Gopro customer services are also frozen in the 18th century. Beyond promises to replace the camera, call me back, promises that were never fullfilled, I have received nothing.

I am going on my 4th trip now in the last year without a working camera.

Gopro has also refused to refund me for the camera stating they 'don't do that kind of stuff' even though EU regulations require them to.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Agreed there!  When I was working with GoPro, it would take days to elicit a response from them.  Sometimes when following up with the support person, I would get an email that the person no longer worked there and I'd have to start over.  That happened 4 TIMES!  I had to restart the whole process 4 times!

Eventually I got to someone who was a manager, and they caved and were able to give me a 40% off voucher for a new camera.  It still sucks.  Like I said, when my LG phone had a factory defect that caused it to freeze out of warranty, they replaced it.  I just gave up trying to navigate the awful customer service, and took the 40% coupon.

I don't really have any faith that the next camera will be any better though.  They never apologized, or said that they were working on improving QA.... just that I should be thankful for getting a coupon, since I'm out of warranty.

Anonymous

[ New ]
The %40 discount is a bit of a scam. If you send back the camera in return for a refund and pay it towards a new one (if you wanted) you might actuality pay less.

At the same time, better camera does not mean better service and gopro has been a champion of being a bully and that's something to consider, especially when we know the cameras and the drones don't go though proper QA.
Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry my bad explaining the 2 month thing, I used the camera for 2 months then I'll put it in the box, then like 7 months later I went on a trip and the camera starts freezing first for an hour and I thought that time that was an out of battery problem, then 3 months pass by using some times after one day the freezing started to be in seconds. After reading that this was a manufacturing problem I called GoPro and tell them to help me with the camera. And the answer was no because I'm out of warranty and they only can offer a 20% off to buy a new, are they kidding me? I don't want to pay 300 something dollars when I've already got a 500 hundred dollar camera they can fix, the solution is simple, change the chip that costs 50 bucks for the public in China for them it would be a lot less, but they don't care about their costumers, I'll never buy again from this trash brand.

Tourist

[ New ]

I have the same problem with my Hero4 Silver which I purchased in July 2015. It used to work fine until recently. I've updated the firmware multiple times and I'm currently on version 5.0. I'm using a Lexar 633x 32gb sd card. The camera is essentially unusable because it freezes. When it doesn't freeze the lcd screen has static or other noise. If it takes a photo it may be all purple or half purple and half black or grey bars. I've uploaded an example photo.

I'm curious if it's even worthwhile to buy a new card or battery to try to get this thing to work. I'd hate to invest more money only to find out it cannot be repaired.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mick

GOPR0330.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]

It's CCD problem. Buy new CCD (about $50) or new camera (about $500). What's better for you.