Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Explorer

Re: Hero4 Silver freezing issue

[ New ]
GoPro pays the return shipping for cameras under warranty. I'm sorry that you have issues, but unlike what has been stated, this is not a universal problem effecting all GoPro cameras.

>90% of the time the issue comes from the SD card or battery ( both will cause the freezing issue). Occasionally it is the unit, but often times if it's not the SD card or battery, it's a bad firmware update (which can also be the result from the SD card). I suggest getting a Lexar 633x or Samsung Pro microSD. Before putting it in the camera download the latest firmware update. Unzip the update and place the entire UPDATE (not the original Update.zip) on the SD card. Put the SD card in the camera and turn it on. (Make sure your camera if fully charged first). If this doesn't fix your problem it might be the battery (even if it's brand new).

I have almost all of the GoPro cameras. I use mine almost daily as do my kids. The HERO4 silver has gotten the most use and I've never had an issue. If this problem were universal, surely I would have had a problem by now.
Tourist

[ New ]

I was wrong thinking that in year 2016 people can use google. Now I see, they can not. But fi you can (I belive in people) try to search "GoPro Freeze" or similar. If you have never used any search engine this is the time to try.

When you analize result (take a look on modellers forum) you then can change your thgoughts about that problem.

Now I own 3 GoPro cameras. I had 4 but one I put to trash. 2 Hero 4 Black and 1 Hero. 2 Hero 4 Black (one in trash, remember?) has CCD problem. The 4th one was bought not so long time ago and looks working. Both Hero 4 Black stopped wortking in about 6 months after purchasing.

I repaired a lot of Hero 4 cameras, more than 2 hundreds (Black and Silver): only 2 of them had mother board problem, all others had CCD sensor problem.

All those cameras had Rev A sensor. I know one guy who needs his GoPro every day (and he has 20 Hero 4 Black). 18 of them had CCD sensor issue. As he needs them for work every day he simple buy new instead of shippin it to warranty and lost his working day. I am sure lot of other GoPro users do the same.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I had the same problem. The touch screen and button on my Hero4 Silver would freeze after I scan through the menu. I was able to fix it by putting my camera, with the battery and WITHOUT the SD card in the freezer for about an hour. Take out the camera after an hour, wipe it clean and it should work. 

Hope this helps everyone like it help me!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Danielr15:  I agree that most of the issues people have are not the CCD sensor, but it is a large issue, and for those of us affected it's pretty painful.

That being said, it is a known issue at GoPro, effecting a large amount of Hero4 Silver and a smaller number of black cameras.  Often the symptoms don't really show themselves until after a full year of use.  By that time the warranty is up and GoPro isn't obliged to do anything.

I worked with their support for months and months, and finally got them to offer 40% the purchase of a new GoPro.  I took it because I'm tired of fighting with them, but honestly, it sucks.

It's not a cheap camera.  I could buy one of the Chinese cameras for at least half the price.  We buy GoPro because of the quality.  When something like this happens, by no fault of ours, and they don't admit there was a mistake, it leavesme skeptical of buying  a new camera from them.

I was on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Amazon when my Hero4 really started freezing and not working.  How do I know that I won't get a Hero5 that has the same issues in a year?  I still trust GoPro more than the Chinese brands, but they need to admit they had some QA problems and do their best to repair their reputation, and help out those of us that are left with $400 paperweights.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Putting the camera in freezer suggest that the GoPro battery is faulty and is heating up. Did you notice that the back of the camera was hot, after some use? Otherwise, I don't see how putting GoPro in freezer fix anything.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi,

I have the exact same problem since December, with my GoPro 4 Silver, of course it was in December that the camera turned 2 years and the warranty expired.

When if freezes up the backscreen turns black doesn't even transmit what the camera is suposedly watching, and when it works sometimes it seems to be adjusting the colors wrong (images more purple).

I've read that this happened with v02 of the firmaware but not with the third version v03. And with me it is happening with v05. Was anyone abble to reset to firmware version 03?

Best regards,

Rita

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, i had this same issue and all go pro will do is offer you 20% of a purchase of a new camera. Absolute crap. it only lasted 13 months before i had exactly the same issues. Come on GOPRO what are you really going to do about this?

Tourist

[ New ]

Buy CCD sensor on AliExpress or eBay (it costs only $50 with shipping) and spend 10 minutes to replace one. And the camera back to work.

Before doing that check that the camera freezes without SD card too.