Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Hero4 Silver freezing issue

[ New ]

Hi,

Like you I think it's software issue.

With all the post I have seen regarding this problem and with a camera that was the latest version not so long ago, I don't uderstand why there is not a fix yet!!

I had the problem with my goPro right out the box. I have tried many thing to workaround the problem but without any success.

I returned back the camera 2-3 days after and get fully refund.

Was my first goPro and my last!

Tourist

[ New ]

Thi is CCD sensor issue in 90%. Other 10% is motherboard (probably memory). But since it is under compound no way to check it easy.

If you google about Sony CCD used in GoPro you will find that there is a big problem with the compound used in that CCD that causes gold wires inside CCD disconnection. If you took your CCD from camera and use microscope you will see that.

Replacing CCD fixes that (no guarantee how long new one will work if this new one from the same group).

The same problem appeared with lot of devices based on the same CCD. However any other vendors simple replaced the devices with the issue for free (and that was not matter if warranty period ended).

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi, thanks for that information.

GoPro should replace device in such case! Me I'm lucky because the problem appears right out the box but it's look like it's not the case for many others!

Is it specific to the Silver 4? What about Black edition? What about new 5 series?

No matter what, GoPro should replace defect device and even if the problem is not anymore un 5 series, I would not buy any GoPro because if a defect is recognize I know now my device will not be replace!

Tourist

[ New ]

I do not know which sensor in GoPro 5, but that is related to all GoPro 4 that uses this sensor: https://www.peauproductions.com/products/gopro-hero-4-sensor-ccd (with Rev A)

There are also some china sensors and sensors with other Rev number (you can google it). Not sure about them but all cameras I saw with such problem had Rev A.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the extra information!

Still waiting for an official Gopro support team member to acknowledge this info!

Anonymous

[ New ]

FYI,

According to the Belgian law, any manufacturing is obliged to give a minimal garanty of 2 years,...!

Explorer

[ New ]
If you want GoPro customer service you should contact them via the Contact Sales and Support link. This is a user support community.

GoPro gives 30 day unconditional return and 1 year warranty on manufacturing defects. If your camera is within either of these times you need to contact GoPro Customer Service. Even if it's beyond this time, they will still work with you but you will be beyond the warranty period and not eligible for a free replacement.
Tourist

[ New ]

I already told GoPro Support that this is great business model. You buy something you use from time to time and that thing simple stop working. As you do not need GoPro every day (in fact it can be used once per year or something) is appears that when you need it it does not work. And warranty gone. Then GoPro says that they can take your camera back and give you some small discount for new one (you should buy new one!). So they get camera back for $100 or something, replace sensor (something about $50) and sell it again. Even as refurbushed it costs about $300. Not bad idea especialy if you also buy new camera from them.

Really great business model.

Why does not GoPro do as any other do? Why they do not replace fault cameras especially if thatis GoPro fault? Then they can ask compensation from Sony for bad CCD (or CMOS, does not matter) sensor? Why GoPro customers must pay for that?

I also wondered why customer must pay for all those shippings? Why lot of customers (google it) get new replacement camera that also does not work right our of the box? That is good if you have local GoPro store closer to your home. But if you need to ship it? Especialy in other country. Pay taxes for each new camera? WHY DO WE, WHO GIVES MONEY TO GOPRO, MUST PAY AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN??? No one can answer....