Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Hero4 Silver freezing issue

[ New ]

I have also gopro hero 4 silver. keeps freezing every time. Any solution by now?!

I running also the last update.

Explorer

[ New ]

@Anonymous

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.  Usually using a recommended SD card fixes the problem.

This is the official GoPro solution to camera freezing https://gopro.com/support/articles/camera-freezes-up

You can also try taking the SD card and battery out of your camera, Hold down the Shutter button, and while still holding down the shutter button replace the battery and power the camera on. Once the camera powers on release the shutter button, wait one minute and then hold down the Mode/Power button until the camera resets.  Turn the camera off. Run a manual update with a recommended SD card that has been freshly formated https://gopro.com/support/product-update/register-camera *This should be the first time you put the SD card into the camera during the whole process.  Hopefully this resolves your issue.

Although, I've personally lost faith in SanDisk even though they are recommended by GoPro.  Having participated in this forum and also on reddit/r/GoPro for quite some time now, I have come to the conclusion that SanDisk is just not a good match for GoPro cameras.  I personally only use Samsung Pro/Pro+ and occasionally Lexar.  I haven't had an issue with my Samsung cards and only occasionally have an issue with Lexar.  I definitely have different experiences based on what SD card I'm using which is why you will notice in just about all of my replies I ask about what SD card people are using.

If you have tried different cards and updates, I suggest you contact GoPro Customer Service https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus .  They will do there best to help you out.

Regards,

Daniel

Tourist

[ New ]

You always recommend to use recommended SD card. That is very good, but how that can help if camera freezes WITHOUT SD card? Each time someone asks about freezing issue and says that it freezes with card you tell "use recommended SD card". Why gopro still won't accept that this is gopro QA issue and replace all the cameras with that bug? In fact that is hardware issue (CCD sensor in 90%).

Explorer

[ New ]

GoPro cameras are covered under warranty.  If there is a manufacturers defect they will replace the camera within the warranty time period.

This is a user community support. At the bottom of this page is the Customer Service number or you can follow this link https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus

The reason for recommending the appropriate SD card is simple, most of the time it is the issue.  It is so common reddit/r/GoPro has created a BOT that auto responds advising people to use a recommended card anytime SD cards are mentioned.  

I have a Hero4 Silver and have never had an issue with it. neither have any of my friends or family members.  Compared to the million plus cameras sold by GoPro, the number of issues reported is actually quite low.  This is especially true when these issues are usually resolved with the proper SD card and/or a firmware update.

I understand, this is not your experience and I do empathise.  It must be very frustrating for you.  Contact Customer Service.  If it is a hardware issue I'm sure you are noticing it early in your warranty period and will be able to get a replacement.  

Regards,

Daniel

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes, there is warranty. Hpwever if you google it ("gopro freezing") you will find that it usualy appears after waranty period. GoPro camera uses not too often by most users. So when you need it it does not work.

I have 4 GoPro cameras (three HERO4 and one HERO) 2 of them has such issue. One after 6 month of sitting on shelf (bought in December, 2014, first usage at summer 2015). That one was crashed so I thought that's not a camera but my problem. Theother one bought Jabuary 2015. Stopped workin in 3 months. HERO bought in February 2015 works well (as has other CCD i guess). A couple of months ago I bought one more Hero 4. Will see when it stops working.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I forgot to mention earlier. I spend almost 1h30 chatting with GoPro support and we did everything possible reset and also the manual update. The camera was freezing all the time, with or without SD card (more with SD inside). It's strange take this is happening on a such expensive camera and for what my gf pay for it I expect that works at least 3/4years. Not 1year. Anyway...
I tried last night working with the first GoPro version 01.02.00. It didn't freeze. Not even one time. Before it was like every 15sec sometime even turning on.

If you desperate and your camera is not working chat with the support staff, they are very helpful but if it comes the time that they tell you that you a a Brick of 400$ including accessories. Try downgrade to the first GoPro version.
I don't know if my camera is faulty or is the v4.0 that is to much for my GoPro and starts freezing. But I just find a solution for myself.
Tourist

[ New ]

Do not worry. Soon it starts freezing with old firmware as well. Its just a temporary solution. But that is bad news for you. It is probably not CCD but flash as it started working after downgrade.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi, I've had pretty much the same issue with a hero 4 silver.  I've been working with Support for about 1 month now, after I took a trip to the Amazon and wasn't able to capture and pictures or video there, due to freezing.

After going back and forth and answering the same questions over and over.  They came back and said that my camera isn't under warranty any longer, and that I can send them my camera.  In return they will give me 20% off a new camera...

There are tons of posts in here about hero 4 silvers freezing, and it's still one of their most popular cameras, yet they can do nothing for us...

Like you, I tried different SD cards, formatting SD cards, and even tried the camera without an SD card to show that the camera was freezing and it wasn't related to the SD card.