Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Hero4 Silver freezing issue

[ New ]

Hey @bwillisicecold,

Have you seen the solution which worked out for me (The post before yours)?

Tourist

[ New ]

thanks for the reply i guess ill have to try that seeings that nothing else works.... what a piece of crap and gopro does nothing to help!

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having the same issue; 2 1/2 year old Hero 4 Silver, used very occasionally, freezes without SD card.  Given the apparent solution is to buy a $50 part (which may or may not solve the issue) and do the repair myself (which may or may not damage the unit) I think the best way forward is to purchase a $99 Yi Lite action cam, which appears to do the same job as the older GoPro.

I'm extremely disappointed that GoPro don't stand behind their product.  Even out of warranty, this is a known issue with a large number of cameras.  Based on this expereince I'd never buy from GoPro again.

Tourist

[ New ]

As I wrote here early I replaced the CCD sensor in my cameras that had same issue and since that I do not see any problem with that. The procedure was really easy.

And yes, I agree that cheap china camera gives if not better than at least the same video quality. One of my friend have one (he bought it at the same time I bough my first GoPro Hero 4 Black). He had no one issue with his china camera. And it is 5 times cheaper than GoPro.

Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks, btframework.  It's not so much replacing the sensor that I have a problem with - it's not actually knowing if this is the root problem.  And if it's the same sensor GoPro used in the first place, I can only assume there will be a future reliability issue!  I'll probably end up with a Yi Lite and also do the repair, so I can have cams on the front & back of my bike!  Cheers.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I had the SAME issue.  I called GoPro and they were not only unhelpful, but dismissive and rude.  I have already committed to never buying another GoPro and recommend to all my friends the same.  That said, I've tried all the above solutions and still have the issue. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

@Anonymous I find it profoundly frustrating that your products do not work for very long, and that you don't offer repair services nor have fixed a problem that is 2 years old and affects such a large portion of your customers.  I will not be purchasing another GoPro.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have the same problem with the camera (hero 4).

I followed this topic with great interest and I try to help other people who have the same room model even though I have not found a definitive solution for this.
I put the camera in the freezer and then noticed that after thawing it works smoothly.
This makes me think that it is actually a matter of internal connectivity.
The video camera heats up very hard during operation. This means that during operation many connectors expand.
After it is switched off and is not used for a long period of time, there is a contraction process that leads to a weakening of the contacts in the connectors.
By placing it in the freezer and putting it back into operation one hour after it, it is most likely that the moisture will cause the contacts to recover and the camera to function again for a good time until the same situation occurs.
In fact, I believe with conviction that it is just a problem of connectivity, obviously due to the exaggerated warming of internal electronic components.

Also before putting the video camera into the refrigerator, I removed the components and put them back, after this surgery everything worked well for about two months. After a period of non-use, the video camera began to freeze again.
I put the video camera in the freezer and after thawing, about an hour when I started it, it also worked very well.
All of these tests have led me to the conclusion that the excessive warming of the camera during operation then damages the internal electrical connectors.
I expect opinions from others about this idea.