Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Hero4 Silver freezing issue

[ New ]

Hello,

I bought my Hero4 Silver December 2014 for a family trip to Mexico, and it worked great. Put it away for about 6 months. I used it again for a river float trip and it worked great again. I put it away again for a few months, and got it out for a snowboarding trip, and it worked fine for a few hours. Then my wife was using it on the final run of the night and it froze 2 minutes into her run. I thought maybe it got to cold and froze. I put it way for about 4 months bought a few more accessories, getting ready for another float trip. I took my boat out to the lake to test my new clamp. I powered it on to record a few minutes of video and nothing. It kept freezing 10sec after turning the camera on.

I called GoPro today and of course the warranty is up and the person I talked to was basically no help. Told me it was an SD card issue although it freezes with or without the SD card being installed. I've tried to reset to factory default, and it freezes before I can get it to the reset menu. I'm supper frustrated I leave for a 3 day float trip at the end of June and my $400 camera that I’ve only used 4 times doesn't work, and nobody seems to have a simple fix. I can’t afford to just go out and buy a new camera.

I’ve visited several sites, and there are a lot of people that have had this very same issue. Some of them had the same problem right out of the box. So obviously this is a serious issue. And from what I could find no easy solution besides returning the camera.

I Just ordered a new SanDisk Extreme PRO SDSDXPA-064G-X46 SDXC Flash Memory Card with up to 95MB/s. If I can’t get this figured out with this NEW SD card I’ll never recommend a GoPro to anyone.

Please Help!!

Explorer

Re: Hero4 Silver freezing issue

[ New ]
Once you get your new sd card, format it in the camera, reset your camera and run the update (again).

If you can't reset, do a hard reset. Take out the battery and sd card, hold shutter button and power/mode button for 10 seconds and replace the battery (keep holding down both buttons until the camera starts). Let the camera fully power on, wait a minute and then power off the camera and replace the sd card. Power back on and your camera should be reset. For good measure, reset the camera again using the settings function. Format your card and run the update.

Wait until you get your new card to do the above steps.

Also, it's good practice to delete all/format before you use the camera and after you upload your media to a computer or other storage device.

Hope this helps,

Daniel
Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm having the exact same problem as grandoasis7 and did the steps danielR15 suggested.  When the power comes back on after putting the battery back in, the camera will freeze when I try to do anything.  I have tried doing a reset camera defaults and freezes.  When I connect it to my laptop, it doesn't get recognized.  So frustrating for the amount of money spent.  I know the warrenty is long past.

Any other suggestions other than driving over it with a car?

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hello @Anonymous
Before you get the Car, If you can I would try the same as grandoasis7 said he was doing, that is trying a different SD card,  sometimes SD cards can go wrong and cause all different kinds of problems (and formatting them does not help).

You can check what card you need for your camera here :

Hello @grandoasis7
Did replacing the SD card help ?
Anonymous

[ New ]
Yes I was able to try multiple SD cards. I was able to factory reset my GoPro but took me several tries to format the SD cards with the GoPro. So I installed the new driver on the SD card but before it could install the update it would freeze. So I'm still stuck without my GoPro.

So now when I start my GoPro the backlight comes on but the view screen is still is black. Nothing is fixed, waisted money on SD cards that didn't fix the issue. I'm not happy at all.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey @Anonymous, 

We're sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with your HERO4 Silver. As @Anonymous mentioned, testing another SD card usually helps identify the issue. I can definitely appreciate spending money on something that ultimately didn't resolve your issue. 

I'd recommend contacting our Support Team for further assistance. Make sure to have the serial number and receipt handy as these are necessary to explore all options available with how we can help. 

Lorraine

Community Hub Moderator

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same issue here.  I bought my GoPro Silver months ago, tried it out a couple of time and it functioned fine.  It's been sitting on the shelf so today I charged up the batteries and powered it up and it's freeziing after a push or two of the buttons and the back screen is always black.  I've tried a couple of SD cards and also powered it up without a card with no luck.  I've tried to do a manual update but that doesn't get anywhere either.  

I'm pretty frustrated too.  I'm in for over $500 for the camera and accessories and I haven't even really used the camera.  Hopefully someone can recommend a fix to get us up and running.  I'm really regretting this purchase right now.......

Tourist

[ New ]

Same with 2 Hero 4 Black. First one was crashed with my drone and after that started freezing in a week after crash. I thought that was a crash problem and bought new one. I used it not too often (may be 5 times and it worked great) before I went to a summer trip. And it started freezing. Absolutely unapplicable quality.

You aked for solution. There are few:

1. Try to get replacement (no warranty that the new one will not do the same right out of the box as it appears for a lot of people. Google helps to find it).

2. It looks the freezing caused by a CCD (CMOS) sensor. So you may try to replace one. Also not warranty the new one will be better.

3. The best solution: buy any other camera. Sony looks not bad for now.