Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero4 Session wifi not turning on

[ Edited ]

Had the Hero4 Session for about a week and it's all been fine. But now the wifi isn't turning on. When I go to Select control (App) and press the shutter, I get a beep but nothing else. There's no blue light and the wifi isn't on. Choosing RC instead of App has a similar effect. I've tried resetting the wifi with no luck. There is also no menu option for adding a new device. Now, when I press the menu button it cycles through:

Current settings//Video&Timelapse Settings//Select Control App//Select Control RC//v01.50 EXIT

Extremely annoying, especially given that the response from GoPro support was just to send me the link for how to connect via the app.

I hope I'm not missing something obvious, but it seems to be behaving completely differently from the last week of use.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero4 Session wifi not turning on

Hi @alexw32087

Are you using an iPhone with your session or an Android phone? You've got the most recent firmware on the camera (v.01.50) so these are the options you SHOULD see depending on the circumstances.

Most recently paired with an Apple Device: SETTINGS/ APP&RC/ ADD NEW/ EXIT.

Most recently paired with an Android Device: SETTINGS/ APP/ RC/ ADD NEW/ EXIT

When the camera hasn't been paired or has somehow lost remembrance of having been connected in the past the options should be SETTINGS/ APP/ RC/ EXIT. These look to be what you are seeing on your camera.

I know you mentioned resetting the Wi-Fi, but did you mean that you had no luck in resetting it or despite resetting it you had no luck getting it connected to an App or RC after having successfully reset the Wi-Fi?

If you haven't been able to reset the Wi-Fi, hold down the Info/Settings button for about 10 seconds until it gives you that option. It takes a while so that you don't do this accidentally; I almost always think it is not going to happen and then the screen pops up asking me if I want to reset. Then try going to App again to see if the camera will give you a PIN number and allow you to pair again. Also be sure to delete the camera from the list of previously connected devices in the App since you've reset the Wi-Fi on it now. You'll have to pair up like it's the first time.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest manually updating the firmware of the camera using the link below

CAMERA UPDATE (The Session camera's serial number is on the inside of the side door)

Follow these instructions carefully and once the SD card carrying the update has been inserted into the camera it will take several seconds and then begin to update. DO NOT REMOVE it until you see the UPDATING screen pop up and the camera say UPDATE COMPLETE. Even if you see nothing on the screen, don't remove the SD card unless you see the update go through. 

Hopefully this way you'll be able to pair up to the App or the RC again! 

Please let us know how it goes. 

Best, 

Matt B.
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hi @alexw32087

Are you using an iPhone with your session or an Android phone? You've got the most recent firmware on the camera (v.01.50) so these are the options you SHOULD see depending on the circumstances.

Most recently paired with an Apple Device: SETTINGS/ APP&RC/ ADD NEW/ EXIT.

Most recently paired with an Android Device: SETTINGS/ APP/ RC/ ADD NEW/ EXIT

When the camera hasn't been paired or has somehow lost remembrance of having been connected in the past the options should be SETTINGS/ APP/ RC/ EXIT. These look to be what you are seeing on your camera.

I know you mentioned resetting the Wi-Fi, but did you mean that you had no luck in resetting it or despite resetting it you had no luck getting it connected to an App or RC after having successfully reset the Wi-Fi?

If you haven't been able to reset the Wi-Fi, hold down the Info/Settings button for about 10 seconds until it gives you that option. It takes a while so that you don't do this accidentally; I almost always think it is not going to happen and then the screen pops up asking me if I want to reset. Then try going to App again to see if the camera will give you a PIN number and allow you to pair again. Also be sure to delete the camera from the list of previously connected devices in the App since you've reset the Wi-Fi on it now. You'll have to pair up like it's the first time.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest manually updating the firmware of the camera using the link below

CAMERA UPDATE (The Session camera's serial number is on the inside of the side door)

Follow these instructions carefully and once the SD card carrying the update has been inserted into the camera it will take several seconds and then begin to update. DO NOT REMOVE it until you see the UPDATING screen pop up and the camera say UPDATE COMPLETE. Even if you see nothing on the screen, don't remove the SD card unless you see the update go through. 

Hopefully this way you'll be able to pair up to the App or the RC again! 

Please let us know how it goes. 

Best, 

Matt B.
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I have that problem, i reset the wifi and re-update the firmware of the camera and i can't fix it... 

¿Anyone can help me?

@mattb

Anonymous

Hello

I have exactly the same problem.

Frist thing I did after unboxing was to update firmware (to v01.50) and install GoPro App on android phone.

I could connect and play with the settings from the app for some time. Somwhere there the WiFi turned itself off and

now I can't start it again.

I have reapplied the firmware update 10+ times now (it updates OK) and also did a WiFi Reset (also OK) after each

update of the firmware but I still can't enable the WiFi.

Any ideas what to try next?

Regards

Niclas

GoPro

@Anonymous, 

After resetting the Wi-Fi, go to the option APP in the camera menu. It should make a new PIN number and give you a timer to pair. In the GoPro App, delete the old camera from the list of previously connected devices. Choose ADD NEW DEVICE again and pair the camera up again like it's the first time, creating a new name and password and all. 

Hopefully you can use the Wi-Fi after that!

Anonymous

I'm also having the same problem with my Session Wifi.  Unfortunately resetting the wifi does not help.  Once I cycle through to "app", I press the shutter button and still nothing happens but a beep.  I do not get a new pin, and I do not see the camera within my wifi settings on my phone. Same thing happens when I press the shutter button on "RC". Any suggestions?

GoPro

Hey @Anonymous, 

That's a bit odd. Try (re)installing the latest firmware version to the camera to see if that helps. You can use the link HERE

After doing this, try resetting Wi-Fi once more and then try going to App to pair up that way. 

I hope that helps!

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Same problem, pressing the button sometimes does not work, If I could get my money back I would return this piec of junk in a minute. The video is fine but the control buttons system used is junk and there is such a lag between pressing the button on the back of the camera and actually seeing something appear on the status window. If anyone is thinking about buying one of these steer clear and just get a regular GoPro Hero.