Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Hero4 Session wifi not turning on

[ New ]

Had the Hero4 Session for about a week and it's all been fine. But now the wifi isn't turning on. When I go to Select control (App) and press the shutter, I get a beep but nothing else. There's no blue light and the wifi isn't on. Choosing RC instead of App has a similar effect. I've tried resetting the wifi with no luck. There is also no menu option for adding a new device. Now, when I press the menu button it cycles through:

Current settings//Video&Timelapse Settings//Select Control App//Select Control RC//v01.50 EXIT

Extremely annoying, especially given that the response from GoPro support was just to send me the link for how to connect via the app.

I hope I'm not missing something obvious, but it seems to be behaving completely differently from the last week of use.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero4 Session wifi not turning on

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

Are you using an iPhone with your session or an Android phone? You've got the most recent firmware on the camera (v.01.50) so these are the options you SHOULD see depending on the circumstances.

Most recently paired with an Apple Device: SETTINGS/ APP&RC/ ADD NEW/ EXIT.

Most recently paired with an Android Device: SETTINGS/ APP/ RC/ ADD NEW/ EXIT

When the camera hasn't been paired or has somehow lost remembrance of having been connected in the past the options should be SETTINGS/ APP/ RC/ EXIT. These look to be what you are seeing on your camera.

I know you mentioned resetting the Wi-Fi, but did you mean that you had no luck in resetting it or despite resetting it you had no luck getting it connected to an App or RC after having successfully reset the Wi-Fi?

If you haven't been able to reset the Wi-Fi, hold down the Info/Settings button for about 10 seconds until it gives you that option. It takes a while so that you don't do this accidentally; I almost always think it is not going to happen and then the screen pops up asking me if I want to reset. Then try going to App again to see if the camera will give you a PIN number and allow you to pair again. Also be sure to delete the camera from the list of previously connected devices in the App since you've reset the Wi-Fi on it now. You'll have to pair up like it's the first time.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest manually updating the firmware of the camera using the link below

CAMERA UPDATE (The Session camera's serial number is on the inside of the side door)

Follow these instructions carefully and once the SD card carrying the update has been inserted into the camera it will take several seconds and then begin to update. DO NOT REMOVE it until you see the UPDATING screen pop up and the camera say UPDATE COMPLETE. Even if you see nothing on the screen, don't remove the SD card unless you see the update go through. 

Hopefully this way you'll be able to pair up to the App or the RC again! 

Please let us know how it goes. 

Best, 

Matt B.
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

Are you using an iPhone with your session or an Android phone? You've got the most recent firmware on the camera (v.01.50) so these are the options you SHOULD see depending on the circumstances.

Most recently paired with an Apple Device: SETTINGS/ APP&RC/ ADD NEW/ EXIT.

Most recently paired with an Android Device: SETTINGS/ APP/ RC/ ADD NEW/ EXIT

When the camera hasn't been paired or has somehow lost remembrance of having been connected in the past the options should be SETTINGS/ APP/ RC/ EXIT. These look to be what you are seeing on your camera.

I know you mentioned resetting the Wi-Fi, but did you mean that you had no luck in resetting it or despite resetting it you had no luck getting it connected to an App or RC after having successfully reset the Wi-Fi?

If you haven't been able to reset the Wi-Fi, hold down the Info/Settings button for about 10 seconds until it gives you that option. It takes a while so that you don't do this accidentally; I almost always think it is not going to happen and then the screen pops up asking me if I want to reset. Then try going to App again to see if the camera will give you a PIN number and allow you to pair again. Also be sure to delete the camera from the list of previously connected devices in the App since you've reset the Wi-Fi on it now. You'll have to pair up like it's the first time.

If this doesn't work, I'd suggest manually updating the firmware of the camera using the link below

CAMERA UPDATE (The Session camera's serial number is on the inside of the side door)

Follow these instructions carefully and once the SD card carrying the update has been inserted into the camera it will take several seconds and then begin to update. DO NOT REMOVE it until you see the UPDATING screen pop up and the camera say UPDATE COMPLETE. Even if you see nothing on the screen, don't remove the SD card unless you see the update go through. 

Hopefully this way you'll be able to pair up to the App or the RC again! 

Please let us know how it goes. 

Best, 

Matt B.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have that problem, i reset the wifi and re-update the firmware of the camera and i can't fix it... 

¿Anyone can help me?

@mattb

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello

I have exactly the same problem.

Frist thing I did after unboxing was to update firmware (to v01.50) and install GoPro App on android phone.

I could connect and play with the settings from the app for some time. Somwhere there the WiFi turned itself off and

now I can't start it again.

I have reapplied the firmware update 10+ times now (it updates OK) and also did a WiFi Reset (also OK) after each

update of the firmware but I still can't enable the WiFi.

Any ideas what to try next?

Regards

Niclas

GoPro

[ New ]

@Anonymous, 

After resetting the Wi-Fi, go to the option APP in the camera menu. It should make a new PIN number and give you a timer to pair. In the GoPro App, delete the old camera from the list of previously connected devices. Choose ADD NEW DEVICE again and pair the camera up again like it's the first time, creating a new name and password and all. 

Hopefully you can use the Wi-Fi after that!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm also having the same problem with my Session Wifi.  Unfortunately resetting the wifi does not help.  Once I cycle through to "app", I press the shutter button and still nothing happens but a beep.  I do not get a new pin, and I do not see the camera within my wifi settings on my phone. Same thing happens when I press the shutter button on "RC". Any suggestions?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hey @Anonymous, 

That's a bit odd. Try (re)installing the latest firmware version to the camera to see if that helps. You can use the link HERE

After doing this, try resetting Wi-Fi once more and then try going to App to pair up that way. 

I hope that helps!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same problem, pressing the button sometimes does not work, If I could get my money back I would return this piec of junk in a minute. The video is fine but the control buttons system used is junk and there is such a lag between pressing the button on the back of the camera and actually seeing something appear on the status window. If anyone is thinking about buying one of these steer clear and just get a regular GoPro Hero.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm really sorry to hear that you haven't been satisfied with your Session camera. Is the camera malfunctioning in some way, or is it just the short delay between pressing the button and seeing the settings on the screen that you are unhappy about? If you press the buttons quickly in sequence, it is possible that one of the commands might not be read by the camera. Typically I find that the camera responds very well once it is powered up, so I press the Info/Wi-Fi button, wait a second for the camera to show something on the screen, and then I begin navigating through without any problems. 

Keep in mind that the other cameras do this also; when you press the power button it takes one or two seconds to power up and arrive at a state of being ready to film or take pictures. The difference with the Session is that it defaults to QuikCapture mode, so most of the time it is either on and filming or off, whereas it is in standby mode fairly rarely compared to the other cameras. 

Please let us know if you have any questions about this or if we can help resolve any sort of problems you're having with the camera. 

All the best, 

Matt B. 
Anonymous

[ New ]

I recently updated to the 2.00 firmware... it updated fine and gave me the Update complete status. Now i cant turn my wifi on from my go pro.. i go to the option and select app and press on it and it just beeps..... i switch over to the RC option and does the same thing and also downloaded the update manually 3 times and nothing. I am really annoyed being that i got this about 4 days ago. Can you guys fix this or give us a solution?   

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

Sorry to hear that you're having that trouble! It doesn't turn on the blue light and/or the Wi-Fi name of the camera doesn't show up in your phone settings? 

When you tried to update the camera, did you do that manually? And if so, did it go through successfully? 

I would also recommend resetting the Wi-Fi of the camera. Hold the Info/Wi-Fi button for 10+ seconds until it asks you if you want to reset Wi-Fi. Select Yes. 

Now, delete the name of your camera from the list of saved cameras in your App. On the camera, try pairing up once more using the App selection. 

Let us know how that goes!

Anonymous

[ New ]

I updated through the phone app first and it gave me an Update complete notification on the gopro after noticing that that the app feature on my gopro wasnt respoinding i re-downloaded the firmware manualy and still isnt working.  Lights doesnt turn on it just beeps when i press the app mode. I was able to connect before that. I reseted the wifi settings numerous times and it doesnt give me the pairing option. i deleted my camera name on my phone app and nothing. Pretty sure ihas something to do with the new update.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm having the same problem. just beeping but no turn on the wifi on the camera.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi , I have EXACTLY the same problem after updating my week old GoPro 4 session camera from 1.5 to 2.00 firmware. I cannot switch on the wifi through APP option in the menu . The APP menu options shows up but when I press shutter button it beeps but nothing happens! As I can see it obviously has to do with the software upgrade . Before all worked fine. Now the camera is a piece of junk and I am going to return this to the shop after I get back from my trip. I can see the GoPro support team has no other ideas but resetting the wifi. This works but it does not cure the problem!!! Any other ideas ??! Regards / Marek
GoPro

[ New ]

For all following this post,

I'm very sorry this issue is continuing for you. In this case, it sounds like most of you have tried the different troubleshooting steps. To repeat, and for anyone else reading this thread, please try resetting the Wi-Fi on your camera by holding down the small Info/Wi-Fi button on the back of the camera until prompted to reset Wi-Fi. 

Additionally, please try installing the update once more manually through the GoPro website. If those steps don't work, please reach out to the GoPro Support Team directly and let them know what steps you have tried. It's possible that they may need to look into the warranty of your cameras to get you helped out. 

Matt B. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Matt,

thank you you for your comment, but I really doubt if this is a matter of resetting the wifi settings on the camera. I did it dozen of times. I removed any instances of the camera in the GoPro app in my iPhone and the Bluetooth paired devices list. I did the manual upgrade of the software twice. All was concluded successful by the camera. The camera works fine I.e. I am able to switch the functions directly on the camera, recording movies take photos Etc. etc. but just the wifi pairing does not work. Just these two options in the menu - APP and RC . When you press the shutter  button it just beeps and nothing happens ( I.e. one still has an APP displayed on the camera) I think it is a bug in your update package, maybe it shows only on the specific boxes, I do not know, but as you can see above, there are several people who experienced the same issue, something is wrong. 

Btw I have opened the case with GoPro support, so I received a mail from Ellen/ go pro tech support. He suggested exactly the same steps, what we tried already several times. 

Let it see what happens next. I will let you know

cheers 

Marek

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mareks4 

Thanks for getting back to me. We definitely appreciate your feedback, and I also noticed that you weren't the only one running into the problem on this thread. I've got 2 personal Sessions on my desk and they are connecting to Wi-Fi without a problem on v02.00 so while the issue you guys are experiencing may have been caused by the update, I don't think it's something that should be expected with this new firmware version.

The troubleshooting steps I listed are for the benefit of others who may be having issues with their Wi-Fi turning on in their Session cameras. If they have the exact same issue as the users who have posted here so far– not just the same symptoms but the same exact causes– then I'd guess the steps wouldn't work, but we can't know that the causes are the same or that the results of the troubleshooting will be the same until they try. 

It's good that you're in contact with Support now. For anyone else reading, letting Support know the specific steps you've tried before contacting them can be helpful and lead to a quicker resolution. 

Feel free to post back here with any updates!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi!

In my case I'm experimenting the same issue, but I have to select the APP&RC Option 3 times until it turns on. I have the latest version (2.0) with an iPhone 6S and I have resetted the Wifi Settings also.

I thought it was something related with the Wifi Channel or so, because once I get the Wifi working (Remember, always selecting the option 3 times), If you turn it off and then turn it on again, it starts to work without any issues.

The thing is that if you leave your camera stopped during a week and you try to get the wifi working again, you have to repeat the steps of pressing the APP&RC option 3 times.

Hope it helps

Regards

Jose

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for that great feedback! It's certainly not the design of the camera to operate this way, but that could be helpful information. For the others on this post, does turning on Wi-Fi 3 times allow the Wi-Fi to actually turn on? 

Please let me know. 

Matt

Anonymous

[ New ]
No it still does not work. I can't turn it on no matter what I do.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Try to select the APP&RC Option. The blue light will flash once. Wait for the GoPro to turn off.

Do it again two times. This is the way I get the WiFi working.

Could you please test?

Regards

Anonymous

[ New ]
Mine does not have the app&ac screen they are 2 different screens
Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi Guys, 

I received the answer from the GoPro support:

Unfortunately, it sounds like there could be a fault with the camera, and we'll need to begin the process of getting you a replacement under warranty. If the camera was recently purchased from a local authorized retailer, you may be able to exchange your camera at the retailer for a faster turn around.

So so they do not know, or they do not bother to continue the troubleshooting. 

Returning to the the retailer for a replacement is some option, but I am not happy at all, as this camera is one week old and I am on the trip in Japan, for which I bought this gear .......

Does anybody know if the 1.5 software is still available somewhere ? I think about reverting to 1.5 and check if this is still persisting.

Also Thank you All for providing the feedback , I will try your actions later when I am in the hotel , will let you know if I could manage something. 

Regards

/Marek

Anonymous

[ New ]

Dear all,

I read  the llast posts thoroughly and wanted to emphasize something:

there is a difference in the camera behavior depending on if camera has been previously paired or not ( if one has reset wifi by long pressing wifi button the camera also shows the menu specific for not being paired)

and the the menu shows as follows:

• camera is is not paired ( or wifi was reset)- one will see separate app and RC option, after pressing the shutter button camera will start pairing process, if you choose app ( pairing with the app on iPhone etc.) or pairing with a remote control if you choose RC option. 

• camera is paired - one can see app&rc option, this simply switches the wifi on, as pairing was done previously. 

My problem is I uploaded 2.00 software , my camera was previously paired but after the upgrade the app in my iPhone 6s didn't see the camera, so I successfully reset the wifi settings and then wanted to pair it again, then I am stuck with choosing the APP option in the camera menu. It doesn't work and the support wants me to return the camera for the replacement now.

regards

marek

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm sorry to hear about the complications with the trip. That is actually why I directed you to Support, thinking that it sounded likely you might need to get the camera swapped out under warranty. I'm not sure how long you will be in Japan for, but if you'll be there for a while then your Support Agent might be able to work out a way for you to receive the replacement there. 

If you will not be there very long, then returning the camera to the retailer could be a quicker and simpler option for you. I know it's unfortunate during a trip, but luckily with v02.00 you do have the option to take still photos, burst, time-lapse, and video directly from the camera, and hopefully you can still capture some great memories of your trip there. 

Please let us know how it goes, or let me know if you have any other questions and I'll see if I can help out. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm having the same problem as everyone. Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring to help describe the problem. The navigation through all of my menus work just fine. It even let's me get to the "add new: app or rc" field. But it seems the shutter selection button simply stops having the ability to select. I don't see a little check pop up when selecting an existing app or rc. And it won't let me do a new pairing because I simply cannot select to do so. This is definitely a minor software glitch caushing a huge headache. It's as if the camera isn't reading the shutter selection command
Anonymous

[ New ]
To help clarify: I'm fully updated, wifi reset etc. Numerous times
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for posting here. I'm sorry that your camera is behaving in that way. It sounds like you've done the troubleshooting steps, so the next thing to do would be to reach out to the Support Team for additional help. 

Best of luck!

Matt

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem (before it was working fine ) I would like to know the possibility of hard reset.

thk

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @serged13

I'm sorry to hear you're having that problem as well. The only ways to reset the camera are to reset it's Wi-Fi (by holding the back button until prompted to reset) or to essentially rewrite the camera's firmware by running a manual update to the camera from the GoPro website. Than can be done using the "update your camera manually" option on the page HERE

I would try those things, take a look through the troubleshooting others have tried above, and if you are still running into a problem then it would be best to reach out to the GoPro Support Team. Please let us know how it goes!

Anonymous

[ New ]

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi guys. You are not alone. I am having exactly the same problem. Tried the same things to fix it. Really dissapoinnted. Good, that this thing still recods. At least am able to finish my trip and then return it under the warranty.
Anonymous

[ New ]
This exactly what I am experiencing. Definitely not buying another gopro again. Will opt for a knock off Chinese action cam next time and save over £150 doing so
Anonymous

[ New ]
Hi guys! Update on my situation. I have wrote to gopro support, tried all the stuff with software updates and what you wrote thete, didn't work. They advised to change the camera under the warranty. This is exactly what I did. Went to the store and within a week got a new camera. They said to use approved sd cards next time. So may be this is a problem. I have used Kingston SDXC class 10, 64GB. The camera was heating and wasn't working correctly after approximately 2 GB of photos/videos on it. So don't buy this one.
Anonymous

[ New ]

I have this exact problem. I reset the wifi settings. I cycle to the "App" screen, press the record button to activate wifi, a beep sound is emitted, but software itself does not respond. Same problem with "RC" screen. All other screens(photo settings, camera settings) respond just fine to the button. Let me know if anyone solves this problem. I am most likely returning it under my warranty period.

I'd like to add that this problem arose as soon as I updated the firmware from v01.50 to v02.00. Very disappointing update to say the least.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for posting here. If you've already tried reloading the firmware, I would try to swap the camera out under warranty. Even if this happened post-update in your camera, it's not expected behavior for the camera on v.02.00. Lots of other users are using that firmware without the problem, so it may be an issue with this particular camera and looking at the warranty would probably be the best way to go in that case. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Has this issue been resolved other than just taking the camera back? I'm having this issue now too. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Seems my Session now also has the same problem as others on this discussion.   Was working just fine last night - connected it to the app on my iPad and viewed/downloaded video as per normal but today, I can't turn the WiFi on on the Session.  It just beeps and does nothing as others have experienced.  Reset the WiFi but still can't select "APP" on the Session to re-connect.

Surely this can't be a hardware fault - it looks and smells like a firmware issue? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

Did this occur for you after an update or just out of the blue? Have you tried running a manual update to the camera? 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Not immediately afterwards.  I updated to v02.00 a couple of months ago and have activated the Wi-Fi function without problem a number of times since.  So it seems to have stopped working all of a sudden for no apparent reason.  No I havent tried a manual update.

GoPro

[ New ]

I see. Yes, in any case you'll want to run a manual update, and if you still run into a problem then it would be best to reach out to the Support Team

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have exactly the same problem. 

We are a lot of with the same problem. 

If someone in Gopro support could investigate and propose a workaround. 

I have called the french support today who has tell me to go to my reseller and change the camera. 

We will see. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same problem here :/ It looks like one option is disappeared from menu, when i used camera for the first time in wifi mode i could choose APP, RC and App&RC, and everything worked great. Now i have only two options APP or RC and they doesn't turn on the camera WiFi.
Any solutions ??

GoPro

[ New ]

@Anonymous, 

If you click on the APP option you are seeing do you see either a timer and a PIN code appear or a check mark show up on the camera screen? Also, have you recently paired the camera up to an Android phone after first having it paired with an Apple device or vice versa? 

What happens if you reset the Wi-Fi by holding down the Info/Wi-Fi button for 10 seconds and choosing to reset. Can you then pair up again like new and get connected?

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi
When I click on APP or RC nothing happens, even light on camera don't blinking! When I paired camera for the first time (with iphone and only with iphone) and choosed APP$RC (now I don't have this option) camera started blinking at red and blue and showed a PIN which I rewrite to the gopro application. Everything worked great without any problems. Now camera don't turn on wifi, so my iphone doesn't see the camera wifi network. I tried everything from this thread, reset the WIFI, manualy update firmware etc. nothing helps :/ When I bought camera didn't check the firmware version, but probably i had 1.5, now i have 2.0. So maybe lastest update makes this issue?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm sorry to hear that the camera's Wi-Fi is still not turning on even after the reset and the re-updating the firmware. That's not what the camera should be doing, and in this case I recommend reaching out to the Support Team directly to see if they may need to swap the camera out under warranty. Alternatively, you could try exchanging the camera if you bought it from a retailer. Just be sure to explain the exact issue to Support as well as all the troubleshooting steps you've tried, and they should be able to help you out further from there. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks for reply mattyb :)
Today changed my camera for new one and again pair iPhone with new camera without any problems:) now i'm very curious how long wifi will be working ;)

Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm having the same issue. Paired great first time. Used the GoPro for the first day. I wanted to connect it to the app at home and no connection. I have updated the GoPro and reset the wifi, but when I click to pair the GoPro stays on the app icon and doesn't go through to paring, then eventually it turns off. Clearly this is a common issue. Overall I've been really impressed with the camera, but it's frustrating to not the camera connected to the app. Please help.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous, I'm glad to hear that you were able to get a working camera and I hope you won't run into the same issue again. 

@Anonymous, I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing that issue and I really hope we can get it resolved. I do remember there was a post earlier on in this thread where a user was able to resolve the issue by selecting APP&RC 3 times rather than just once. I'm not sure if when he was at APP&RC he pressed the shutter button 3 times very quickly or if he returned to the APP&RC option 3 times, pressing the shutter button once each time. I would try both just to make sure. 

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest reaching out to GoPro Support directly to explain what is going on in your case and what the troubleshooting you have tried is. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
I am having the same issue with my Go Pro Hero 4 session, i have done everything from resetting to updating however it is still not working. The camera was bought by my tito in Chicago. How can I replaced it when he's in Chicago and Im in the Philippines? We are so disappointed. :(