Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero4 Session - Camera only recording first chapter.

I understand that the Hero4 Session breaks longer videos down into chapters of approx 12 minutes long. However my camera is only recording the first 12 min chapter. All other chapters in the video are on the camera (can be seen using Capture on my phone), and can be imported. However all other chapters are showing as 0.00 minutes in length and are unplayable.

If I try to play these chapters in Capture, I receive the message "Your device does not support copy or playback of this file". I am able to import the chapters onto the computer but again, I'm only able to watch the first 12 minute chapter. No other chapters will open with any media player.

The microSD card I'm using in my camera is a Kingston 64GB MicroSD XC SDC10. Would this be the problem as it's not on the GoPro approved list of microSD cards?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Hero4 Session - Camera only recording first chapter.

I would try an approved SD card before considering it a camera issue.  I personally use Samsung Pro UHS-1 and Lexar 1000X (32 GB is best).  For a Hero4 Session you can also try a Lexar 633X 32GB UHS-1 as it is cheaper than the previous two mentioned.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

I would try an approved SD card before considering it a camera issue.  I personally use Samsung Pro UHS-1 and Lexar 1000X (32 GB is best).  For a Hero4 Session you can also try a Lexar 633X 32GB UHS-1 as it is cheaper than the previous two mentioned.

Tourist

Thanks for the reply danielr15. The kingston card I was using did only cost around £6 from ebay, I guess you get what you pay for eh?

I've now ordered a Samsung Pro 64GB SDXC UHS-I U3 90MB/s card. Hopefully this will solve the issue, and I'll post an update when it comes and I've had chance to test it out.

Thanks again.

Adventurer

Do you understand its filing system how it is numbered?

Explorer

[ Edited ]

The Samsung Pro is a very good card so I hope it solves your issue. When you get the new card, download the manual update and place the update folder (not update.zip) on the card. Do this even if your camera is already in the latest firmware. I'm not sure the complete logic behind this, but it seems to knock out any kinks and will give your camera and new card the best chance at working well together.

Tourist

I have the Update.zip but it doesn't contain a folder. There are just two files in the zip which are - 'HX1.01-firmware.bin' and 'update.01.txt'.

Would you suggest putting these files into a folder named 'update' and placing that on the microsd card, or just placing the two separate file onto it...?

Many thanks for your continued advice by the way!

Explorer

The files need to be in a folder named Update and then moved to a blank SD.

You should be able to right click on the zip folder and select Extract.

I suppose you can create a folder named Update, put the two files within it, and then move that folder onto the SD.

Try extracting the folder again, I know I've been confused by the way Windows handles zip files before. I think if you left click on the zip file it opens a window showing the files but if you use the right mouse key, a menu with Extract as an option should come up. It will then be a little confusing because you end up with a file named Update (the zip file) and a folder named Update.

I hope I didn't just make this more confusing 😉
Adventurer