Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero3 Silver wont record

[ New ]

Camera seems to be recording but no video files saved. Was using SAN Disk extreme 32Gb Micro SD Card with UHS 3 rating. Can you confirm if this card is compatable with the Hero 3 Silver camera. Many thanks Colin Whitford

GoPro

Re: Hero3 Silver wont record

[ New ]

Hi @hardysand15,

May I know where do you check the files?

And have you tried resetting the camera and reformatting the SD card? 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

trying to download the files from Go Pro to my laptop, which has worked fine in the past but from another SD card. Both DCIM and MISC folders are empty. Havent tried reformatting the SD card as I dont want to  potentially overwrite anything.

GoPro

[ New ]

Got it @hardysand15,

Are you using a cable or SD card adapter? 

Thanks,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, am using a USB cable from Go Pro to laptop.

Best Wishes

Colin

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @hardysand15

The SD card that you are using is a recommended one according the list here. Do you have Quik for desktop installed on your computer? Is this how you access or import the files from the camera to the computer? If not, and there seems to be no content on the DCIM and MISC folders, either the SD card is faulty (or just needs formatting) or the camera is faulty giving you indication of recording but not actually recording. Try inserting the SD card directly to your computer through an SD card adapter and see if you can access the recordings.  

To isolate the source of trouble, we will have to manually update the camera firmware, and format the SD card. I understand there maybe footage on the current SD card, so you can use a different one (if available) for the manual update process. This is because the manual update process will need a formatted card and formatting a card erases all its contents. You can find manual update instructions here . After the update, record sample videos or capture photos and check if you can access such files. 

Let us know how it works out. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi, dont have Quik installed on laptop as I always hit some kind of issue when trying to download. I just connected the Go Pro to the laptop using the USB cable and tried to use Windows functionality to copy files from Go Pro to laptop. Pretty sure this has worked in the past, but cant be 100% sure.

Going to have to stop this conversation as I'm going to be away for a few days but will try your suggestions regarding formatting etc when I get back and see if I can retrieve these files.

Many thanks for all your help

Colin

GoPro

[ New ]

Glad to hear back form you,@hardysand15. We will wait for you to be back. Please keep us posted. Take care!