Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero X Wishlist (Hero 10) - Feel free to add to this!

[ New ]

Hopefuly GoPro will release a new camera this year that fixes some of the Hero 9 issues.

1. Less megapixels with faster processor.  As seen with the Sony A7s III having less megapixels means better video output.  The bigger pixels will help in many other areas that the GoPo lacks in (seen below).  Its also easier on the processor to process videos allowing new better features like 120fps 4k.

2. Better night recording.  As seen above lower megapixels helps with this.

3. Better color science.  Less reds at night and less yellows during the day.  As seen above lower megapixels helps this.

4. Hindsight bugs fixed.  Hindsight is an amazing yet underrated feature of the Hero 9.  It does have a lot of bugs associated with it especially when using external power.

5. Better external power compatibility.  Lots of issues are related to powering any GoPro externally.  All versions from day 1 have major issues.  Camera needs to be more fail safe in this regard.

6.  4k 120fps recording.

7. Bluetooth audio capture feature.

8. Wireless charging (or wireless external power ability!)

9. Defocus background feature (may be imposible to do with a fixed lens)

10. Updated PC/Mac software for file transfer.  Faster file transfer with this software.

Backpacker

Re: Hero X Wishlist (Hero 10) - Feel free to add to this!

[ New ]

Sure, let's play!

1. More megapixels with a new faster processor and larger sensor.  You can have more megapixels if you increase the sensor size.  Also a new faster image processor would be welcome as I feel the GP1 chip has been overclocked to death and this is what causes stability issues.

2. Better night recording.  As seen above a larger sensor to accomodate more pixels helps with this.  

3. A better flat color profile with no freaking hot pixels on the sensor.  Something that's been on the Hero 8 and Hero 9.  

4. Put a 3rd cold shoe on the media mod.  It would fit on the hinged door.

5. Better reliability, check to ensure it works with all the accessories attached (try downloading files from the 9 with a media mod attached, see how many dropped connections you get).

6.  More Hypersmooth control.  Allow locking or horizontal or vertical movement.  I don't like my camera panning before I turn a corner.  Also fix the panning issue!

7. If we can't get protune back due to an ongoing legal issue, change the way the camera works.  App connects to media mod, media mod controls camera settings and live preview.  That gets around the IP issue as now the app is not directly interfacing with the camera for control.

8. I liked the sound meter on the 9 when the media mod was attached, great choice!  Now allow people to manually control the sound levels to increase or decrease them.

9.  Integrate QR control into the APP.  Clean it up and make it more user friendly.  You can have a "pro" mode on the app to enable advanced features such as QR control.

10. Add on battery that's waterproof.  For car, bike and especially aircraft, this is needed.  Can't climb out on a wing mid flight to change batteries.  

11:  No more "incremental" updates.  The GP7 just overclocked the 6.  The GP8 just fixed some issues with the 7 and improved hypersmooth.  The GP9 had a front display but took away shooting resolutions and mic options on the media mod while adding 5K resolution.  I don't want the GP10 to bump things up to 6K but take away filming 1080P, touting Hypersmooth 4.0 (can anyone point out the difference between 2.0 and 3.0 other than a name change?).  

12:  A true interchangeable lens system.  No more curved glass lenses on top of a curved glass lens (the Max Lens mod is great in theory, but the video output at 2.7K is soft and just doesn't look good).

13:  A better way to lock your camera if it's lost or stolen.  GoPro labs kinda does this, but you just need to reload firmware or scan a new QR code to remove the locked out options or owners information.  How about a 6 digit pin code lockout option.  Pin code is generated on user profile at GoPro.com.  That way if someone loses their pin code, they just log into their account to get it. 

14:  Customized GoPro (collectors item at a premium price, limited run).  Whether is be certain color GoPro's (pink for breast cancer awareness etc)(plus, who the hell would steal a bright pink GoPro!) or laser engraved.  Could be a nice way for people to feel their GoPro is personalized.  Limited run keeps overall costs down.

That's it so far!

Hiker

[ New ]

Bigger pixels are better.  It's proven that fewer pixels that are bigger are better for filming (Sony A7S as an example).  I know there are people who use GoPro's for photography only which to me is a strange thing to do.  The upgrade of the sensor on the Hero 9 really screwed up my lowlight filming (more pixels).   I got rid of it for the 8 again.

I forgot one more item on my list: ABILITY TO TURN OFF CHAPTERING!  I just had another nightmare scenario where I had 30 files all mixed up.  Instead of taking me a couple hours to edit it took me DAYS.  Making it a toggle puts the blame in the users hands if the file gets corrupt. 

Would be nice to have a 3.5 mm audio jack too.  Media Mod adds a lot more problems to the mix.

Hiker

[ New ]

Ohh wow I didnt know about that lawsuit.  That ruling is kind of dumb because other action cameras do the exact same thing.  I noticed my ProTune options was missing from my app just the other day.  If they remove the cellphone app alltogether I will have to swich to another action camera.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Well here's your Wakeup call and something horrifying you should know....

IF GoPro win the lawsuit, they get $0.........    Contour IP Holding LLC has only two assets to their name and it's the two IP's in question.  If GoPro win the lawsuit it means the IP's aren't enforceable and the only thing GoPro can counter sue for is those two IP's.  

If GoPro lose and Contour IP Holdings win, it means there IP is enforceable and now they have precedent they can cite in further cases.

As you rightly pointed out, other action camera's (and DSLR cameras, security camera's, etc) all do the same thing and guess what?  Contour Holdings IP can sue every single one of them and put them in the same situation.

So sure, go ahead, change camera.....  but wait and see what happens because you may just end up in the same boat a few years down the road.

Right now the creative geniuses at GoPro are all getting together and finding a way around the IP, you can bet every other camera company is doing the same as a "Backup plan".  

The lawsuit is nothing more than a money grab by people chancing their arm at a big pay off.  Frankly I think it should be dismissed myself but that's just my opinion (after all, an IP should never have a "smiley face" as part of it's patent on how a process works).  

GoPro won't do away with their app, they don't have to and they are still making huge improvements to it, thanks to their beta testing the public has been able to help shape where the app is going and frankly I don't know of any other company doing such close work with their users.  It's actually one of the reasons I stick with GoPro camera's and I hope it's something the continue to do, work with their users, let you get to know them, let you see where they are going.

Hiker

[ New ]

My only expectation with GoPro X is to get  something that does not freeze, has less stability issues and bugs like any other device. Well, my comment should not matter as there is no way me buying this thing again. What a shame for something called a Action Camera which you can't trust at all, action happen at unpredictable moments which can't be repeated, everytime when I press the shutter button, I literally pray to not freeze this thing. Even a $5 crap device would be more reliable.