Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero Session 5 won't turn on

Hey all, I just read through the post and I just wanted to clarify something when it comes to factory reset. There is a very specific way to reset the Hero5 Session and holding the back power/mode button for ten seconds is not it. Holding the power/reset reboots the camera, but does not reset to factory settings.

To do a factory reset you have to access the menu and scroll to Exit Menu. When you get this message, press and hold the top shutter button until a message pops up asking if you want to do a factory reset.

Obviously, if the camera will not power on you will not be able to do a reset.
Do try to reboot the camera by holding down the rear power button. Take the SD card out of the camera and hold the rear button down and look to the bottom right of the camera to see a red light flash. If you see the light come on and then go out, release the button and wait about 10-15 seconds. Press the power button for about one full second. The camera should power on. If it does scroll to "Exit Menu" and then hold down the shutter to perform a factory reset. The camera will turn on and off. When you turn it on again it should read something like Factory settings OK or something like that.

Usually the camera hangs as it's been described by many here, when the camera has an issue writing or reading the SD card. It's always good to try a manual update with a freshly formatted SD card to see if it resolves the issue. If at all possible, try a couple different cards and see if it fixes your issue.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thank you mate. 

I bought my Gopro the day after you posted this, it worked fine for the weekend, but then went dead until seeing this thread. 

I had the same issua as so many, the camera would not power up nor charge but would get hot to the touch after being plugged in. 

I saw in another thread that this is due to the camera hanging, most likely due to some incompatibility between the SD Card and the camera software. I believe this to be the case. I will go for a different SD Card, even though mine is a good quality SAN DISK SD card.

In the end I noticed that trying to power it up by connecting usb to computer would not work at all, but if I left it alone for a few hours and then tried a plugged into the wall adapter with NO SD CARD in it, it would power up and let me use the Menu for 1 option, if you exit the menu you are back to square one, I made that mistake twice before seeing this post about how to do a factory reset.

I waited a few hours again, LEAVING IT UNPLUGGED to let the battery discharge to dead. and then plugged it in and sure enough it started into the menu, I went to exit and held the shutter button until it asked for a factory reset.

I did the factory reset and now my Gopro is sitting beside me happily charging :)

Thanks again Danielr15!!

Sozo

Highlighted
Anonymous

Well that didn't last long. 

Same thing happened less than 24 hours later, only this time, when I was finally able to get it to power up for a minute and do another factory reset, now nothing :-/

I suppose this one is fully defective and needs replacing. At least it happened after the weekend lol.

Sozo

Highlighted
Explorer

@Anonymous

I hope you're able to get it exchanged for a good working camera and these issues will be behind you.  I love my Hero5 Session.  It's an excellent camera and I'm able to get a lot of use from it.  I'm sure you'll feel the same, ... once you get one that works Smiley Wink

When you get your new camera, please be sure to format your SD card (ideally one from this list https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations ) and then run the manual update. https://gopro.com/update/hero5_session

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hey Thx Danielr15, I am very sure that the factory reset will help many, I could find no mention of it in the manual, nor anywhere else. and it did work once lol. 

In any case, yes the camera is a superior little machine, I fillmed/edited/transferred an entire weekends worth before it quit, made for a sweet float tube fishing video :) Just wish I woulda tested out 4k instead of playing safe and doing 1080p 60fps heh.

Im looking forward to having a working one.

Thanks again!

Sozo

Highlighted
Anonymous

Does anyone know how else to reset. Hero 5 session, won't charge, won't restart holding each button down 10 sec, both buttons ten sec, no memory card hold down, nothing wirks.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Does anyone know how else to reset. Hero 5 session, won't charge, won't restart holding each button down 10 sec, both buttons ten sec, no memory card hold down, nothing works. It's only 6 months old. Is the camere dead??
Highlighted
Anonymous

hi, i have the same problem with my go pro at the moment. your post is 'solved' but I dont get the solution. You said to press the menu button 10 sec doesnt work for you ( same for me ), but thats the only solution it sais under your post. Would appreciate your help

thanks