Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero Session 5 won't turn on

I understand that but on many forums, like the one I use for my Jeep, people get upset for starting new threads for the same issues instead of keeping one going haha.

Brand new to the GoPro community so still a learning curve on my end!

Highlighted
Backpacker

@Anonymous

I totally understand and agree (as I participate in many online forums)... but this is a support forum and many here look only for problem and solution to it.  SO I think you may be best served by starting a new thread and stating what you've tried to fix.

Did you try a manual firmware update from SD card?  ANd a factory reset after fw update?

Highlighted
Tourist

I guess I'm not the only one who has a new camera that won't work... Uhg! I did do the latest update, take out the memory card, press ALL the buttons, no red light when plugged in. Only thing it " did " was get terribly hot after charging for a while. Super frustrating as this is our first GoPro, bought for our Puerto Rico vacation, in one week and counting.

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@swiftgorge8841 - Have you done a manual update on the camera? What SD card are you using? When you say the camera gets hot, can you give more info on that? It's normal for the camera to get warm when charging or in use, but it shouldn't get too hot to touch.

Also, if the red light is not turning on when charging, how are you charging the camera? Specifically, what is the camera plugged into - a wall charger, your computer, etc.?

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Adventurer

Before you flash firnware Factory rest your camera it clears all troubles off your cam,  then by all means reflash it if thetroubles do not clear, but if it stilldoes not clear you will need to get your internal memory flashed and only gopro authority  can do so. good luck

Highlighted
Backpacker

@fishycomics I've read up on this and most here suggest to do the manual firmware update always (as it is most reliable method to do update the fw), then after the update perform the factory reset!

I have over 25 years in the computer industry as both a technician and trainer. What many people fail to realize is that a firmware update is actually updating the operating system on their cameras/devices.  In addition, this new operating system fixies any bugs and glitches discovered in the pervious version; and sometimes adds new features. If you are in the middle of a firmware update via wifi, and the signal is lost or data is corrupted; it can result in a completely inoperative camera (a brick in the computer world).

The reason for doing the factory reset immediately after the firmware update is that sometimes the old user selected menu options dont migrate over to the new firmware, or dont migrate over correctly.  Sure... it is a hassle inputting all your old favorite video, photo, and time lapse settings again... but it is a necessary evil

Firmware updates are a serious thing and should be treated as such!

Highlighted
Anonymous

If you are willing to wait a little while, someone will eventually pick up the phone for customer service. I am guessing they are understaffed as both times I was on hold for over 30 mins before speaking to someone. I never once was able to get a chat going as all representatives were busy with other customers.

My camera was replaced by GoPro and I received the replacement yesterday. I never got an update on what the status of my old camera was which is why I called back a second time. The representative never told me what was wrong just said they were sending me a new one. 

Hopefully this one won't mess up! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Highlighted
Tourist

same issue after 1 month not using my hero 5 session not turning on. I tried reseting by 10 sec pressing than also i tried manual update but still have same issue as well. Please support