Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero Session 5 Manual Update has failed.

I have just taken delivery of a Go Pro factory reconditioned Hero Session 5. I have used it briefly and decided it would be wise to make sure soft ware was up to date.

I downloaded the software after inputting the serial number from inside the access door. I then un zipped the folder whilst the folder was in the downloads file on my lap top.

After unzipping i had a screen alongside that showed 3 files. I highlighted all 3 and dragged and dropped into a new Samsung Evo 64gb SD card. I then replaced the card back into the unit and it began by showing 1 arrow 2 as though it was moving files from one location to another. It shut down and when it came back to the screen showing it had a stop sign and the box on the right showing on the Go Pro display.

I searched on here and it suggested re formatting the card which I have done and deleted the original download file and repeated the process. Same thing has occured. 

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero Session 5 Manual Update has failed.

You extract (UnZip) the UPDATE.zip file. It will create a folder called UPDATE. You should Extract the UPDATE folder to your computer.

Format your card in the computer and then copy the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) onto the card. Eject the card and then insert it into the camera. Wait a few seconds. If the update doesn't automatically start, press the rear Mode/Power button once.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

You don't pull the files from the UPDATE folder. You place the entire UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) onto a blank SD card.

Also, is your card an EVO Plus or EVO Select? Samsung Evo cards are not on the recommended SD card list. The EVO Plus (not +) and Evo Select might work, but the regular EVO is not a good card. Be sure to use a card from this list. https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations#list2
Highlighted
Tourist

The card is a Samsung Evo + so I am guessing that this could the issue. I have another smaller card which I can use. I have the download on the lap top so am I right in understanding that I drag the un zipped folder onto the SD card and then un zip whilst its there.

Then pop the card back into the sesssion?

Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Explorer

You extract (UnZip) the UPDATE.zip file. It will create a folder called UPDATE. You should Extract the UPDATE folder to your computer.

Format your card in the computer and then copy the UPDATE folder (not UPDATE.zip) onto the card. Eject the card and then insert it into the camera. Wait a few seconds. If the update doesn't automatically start, press the rear Mode/Power button once.
Highlighted
Tourist

With an old card that I had lying around this now seems to have worked. I initially had an issue with the card and used the reformat on the session and its all now working fine. 

Thanks Ali 

Highlighted
Explorer

Awesome.