Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero Session 5 Battery Drain When Off

Just picked up 2 Hero 5 Sessions last monday and I've been having a rough-go so far.

I stick one up at each end of an ice hockey rink and record our morning skates.  Last week I had each camera set at 4K/30fps, one camera went just about to the end (75 minutes) while the second camera had shut itself off.  When I noticed that it shut off, I turned it back on only to have it shut off again.  As it turned out the 2nd camera was overheating and shutting down (in an ice hockey rink, mind you).

For the next skate, I charged up both cameras and decided to lower the res to see if they would last longer and so camera #2 wouldn't overheat again.  I went with 1080/60.  I noticed when I turned both cameras on, the #2 camera already had a significant drop in battery life (60%).  Both were charged at the same time the previous night and were disconnected when the red led turned off.  I should also mention, wifi was turned off on each and I'm not using protune (though I would like to).

Camera one was flawless again and caught the entire skate, while #2 eventually died because of low battery (but did not overheat).  I returned the 2nd one to best buy for a replacement.

Last night I get both cameras to full charge, connect with wifi to set them up for 4K/30, disconnect wifi, shut them down.  Powered them both up this morning and they were at 70% charge.  I had to revert them to 1080/60 for any hope to get the full skate but both died after 70 mins.

Sorry that this is so long-winded but I tried to do some bits of troubleshooting before hitting the boards.  Is anyone having a battery drain issue with the Hero 5 Session and the most current firmware?

GoPro

Re: Hero Session 5 Battery Drain When Off

Hi @greenoasis5114

I'm sorry to hear about that! This could be related to the SD cards being used in the cameras. If there is an issue of compatibility or the card is not keeping up with the camera, this could cause the camera to heat up and also turn off mid-recording. It's also possible that if it's related to card compatibility the camera will continue trying to scan the card even when turned off (normally that's just a quick scan that happens once when first inserting the card). This continual scanning could drain the battery. 

I would recommend trying a different card from the recommended list HERE. You could also try updating the cameras using the link below and the option on that page that says "update your camera manually."

https://gopro.com/update/hero5_session

I hope that will help!

Hiker

I am using the Lexar 1000x on the list and I do have the current 1.20 firmware.
Anonymous

I am having the same problem, I am on my second Hero5 Session and getting ready to return this one. Not sure how it is a SD card issue? The battery drains while it is "off", and I verified the wireless is not on. I think they'll need to fix this via a firmware upgrade. I noticed that when everything is turned off, and when you eject and insert any SD card, the power LED lights... so something is still on. See if yours does the same. I've had every single GoPro since inception, so know how to use these cameras. I have a Hero4 Session as well. Side by side, the battery is dead on the Hero5 Session after one week and no use... while the Hero4 Session holds the charge. If this persists, I'll just return it to BB with the 14 day return, and get another until they fix this. I use my Sessions on the weekend, so it is a disappointment to grab the Hero5 Session and head to the field, and find the battery dead when it was charged the prior weekend.
Hiker

I also noticed the LED flash when inserting or removing the SD and it's understandable to think that the Session stays in a state of hibernation so that it can turn on so quickly and start recording at the press of a single button.  I also have a Session4 and you're absolutely right, the battery lasts much longer in standby than the Session5.  At full charge then leaving overnight, the Session5 is reduced to 70% by the following morning (with or without an SD card inserted).

I have a support thread going with GoPro right now but more for the overheating issue.  Seems like if you're going to use protune, stabilization and/or higher frame rates -- you're not going to get very long recording time.  Pretty unfortunate.  1080/30 with everything else off, I got 107mins before the battery dies.  I was skeptical about the 4k when it was being crammed into the same housing as the Session4.. :\

GoPro

Hi all, 

This CAN be related to SD card. As you noted, the camera reacts when you insert a card; it scans it quickly and goes inactive again, unless it has trouble reading the card, in which case it may scan it over and over again and wear down the battery. Lexar 1000x is highly recommended so I wouldn't think that's the issue unless you've got multiple cameras running into the same problem with that same card. Also, as @greenoasis5114 did, make sure to have the camera fully updated to the latest version. 

If this problem is occurring, then you may need to exchange the camera, as it is not expected or normal behavior. 

Anonymous

Hi ! I think  that the problem is the Wi-Fi is turned on and when you turn off the camera it still stays  on .  I think you have to go to the settings and turn off the Wi-Fi I'm nothing and of the camera .   I have noticed that because when we turn off the camera and you search for the cameras Wi-Fi from your mobile phone Euston find it so fast you have to turn off  cameras Wi-Fi 

Hiker

@mattb wrote:

Hi all, 

This CAN be related to SD card. As you noted, the camera reacts when you insert a card; it scans it quickly and goes inactive again, unless it has trouble reading the card, in which case it may scan it over and over again and wear down the battery. Lexar 1000x is highly recommended so I wouldn't think that's the issue unless you've got multiple cameras running into the same problem with that same card. Also, as @greenoasis5114 did, make sure to have the camera fully updated to the latest version. 

If this problem is occurring, then you may need to exchange the camera, as it is not expected or normal behavior. 

Matt -

There was also an instance where I brought the cameras to 100% charge, disabled wifi then removed one SD card and left the other in (since I have 2 Hero5 Sessions).  Both the Hero with the SD and without were at 70% charge the following morning.  So if the camera is scanning for a card, it's scanning whether it's inserted or not.