Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero Session 5 Battery Drain When Off

Go to preferences turn off you camera "voice control" even though camera is off this function listens

I tested it  my camera drained about 2% /hr now even after checking it several times it draine only 1% after 30 hrs.

Tourist

Go to preferences turn off you camera voice control even though camera is off this function listens

I tested it  my camera drained about 2% /hr now even after checking it several times it draine only 1% after 30 hrs.

Tourist

Go to preferences turn off you camera voice control even though camera is off this function listens

Tourist

Turn off you camera voice control, that is the culprit.
Tourist

Re: Solved?: Hero Session 5 Battery Drain When Off

turn off your voice control in preferences ,works
Tourist

I know this is an older thread but being last to the party as always I have just upgraded to a session 5... i use the word "upgrade" very loosely as it feels like I've now gone backwards!

Had the session a week and regretting spending the £200 for it!

No more analogue video out for fpv!
(ok so I can live with that and just use it on my freestyle quads and not the drone I initially purchased it for!)

Battery life is beyond a joke, 1080/25 about 1hr 10mins straight off charge.
(Display says it should be capable of 1hr 35mins if I change to 4k it still says I should get 1hr 15mins record time)

Speaking of battery life.... fully charged night before needing it 50% by the following morning!

Ok, turned Wi-Fi off, voice off... basically everything I could think of and same again the following day and that's with No sdcard installed!

NO it's not an sd card incompatibility issue, I already own and use multiple brands of card all of which are on the compatibility chart as suitable for the session5!
Yes they are genuine and all work fine in the Hero 2014, Hero3 white and Hero4 black i own.

Yes it is using the latest firmware!

The first time I charged the session 5 from purchase the camera got so hot I was unable to hold it for more than 10-15 secs... apparently this is normal!
But you though this acceptable for a device marketed and designed to be held in your hand?
Also gets scary hot recording 1080 and supposedly even hotter in 4k again this was deemed acceptable?

I have charged It daily since and it has not become that hot again...
However I have noted that when left laying on it's right side (little door facing upwards) or lens down it remains stone cold whilst charging!
Rotate it to right way up (shutter button on top) and it gets like warm, to a point I and most normal people would seem an acceptably 'normal' tempreture for charging a device.

If I were asked to make an educated guess i would say one of 2 possibilities:
1, Extreemly substandard batteries were used to keep cost down!
2, Judging from the temp change dependant on orientation of the camera during charging that there is a possible short within the casing!

I'm not expecting miracles with battery life, just that when I need the camera to be ready for use, it is!

I didn't buy the camera for 4k but rather the form factor! I would be happy with 90mins in 1080/60 and something that didn't get hot enough to burn a hole through the engine block of my car when in use!

This is going back to the shop it came from, just not fit for purpose!
Sorry GoPro, such a dissapointment
GoPro Community Manager

If the camera is so hot that you're unable to hold it, then there is an issue with the camera or with the SD card. I know you wrote that you're using a recommended card. To be safe, can you tell us which card you're using?

A non-compatible card can lead to heat issues and battery drain issues like you're reporting here.

Tourist

Hi Jefft,
I use:
SanDisk extreme plus 32gb,
Samsung pro 32gb,
Lexar 663x 32gb (which is just stupidly expensive and comparable with the SanDisk and Samsung cards)

I have multiples of the first 2 cards, formatted in various ways both in and out of the camera.

I am accustomed to photography equipment and don't store cards in the device when not in use, nor do I use the usb lead to transfer files.

I am aware a huge amount is being demanded of such a small compact device and wouldn't expect it to remain stone cold.
However there is a point where you go and pick it up after use and go "holy crap that's **bleep** hot! That can't be good."

Anyhow, further investigation is now a moot point as it has been returned to the store it was bought from as stated at the bottom of the previous comment.