Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero Session 5 Battery Drain When Off

[ New ]

Just did the factory RESET ; now for the first time i see a blue flashing LED on the session ; never saw this before ever?  Bad news is However, now after pairing again(with live preview on my phone working and showing the view out front fine - the Session 5 does not acknowledge the pairing and keeps searching? Even when it's obviously paired and live linking... mmmm) - I suspect the wifi side of my new session 5 camera is faulty from the factory.

Regarding - Reaching out to the support Team , as suggested , sounds like a GP Boardroom chant - but in real life is not a pleasant experience ; they take days and days to get back with simply more questions then take days to reply again? 

Heat - i am also experiencing heat issues when my GoPro Session 5 is recording, it generates near thermal runaway levels of heat?

My advice to other buyers - Never buy from GoPro website direct - I Entered Australia but the GoPro came from Singapore? Why not ship from an AU office? Warranty evasion is my guess as offshore sales are not subject to AU warranty laws.. Clever.   Dude make sure you buy from a large store so you can walk back in to get a replacement on the spot

Anonymous

[ New ]
So are they redesigning the cameras or just the firmware? I took mine back the first day. It was a joke.
Hiker

[ New ]

Suggestion to GPro - if the Session 5 actually has a bi-colour LED - ie can show BLUE as well as Red - why not flash the BLUE once every 30 secs like all my GoPros did in past? This way we knew the WiFi was "ON" - Use the BLUE led like before ....

2nd Suggestion - Hard OFF Mode - As others have said here - offer a full STORAGE mode where by some button sequence (such as Hold the PWR button down for 5 secs) you can tell the GP5S your not going to use it for days, and save the battery at 100% charge.

3rd Suggestion - When charging show the charge amperage on the oLED so we can see how close it is to full

Hiker

[ New ]

One other suggestion for putting a GP 5 Session into storage mode - cycle thru the Power button menus (5 presses) ; until you see v01.50 EXIT MENU / press Record button for yes ; I found when  did this i heard the traditional GoPro Off 5 beeps i am used to hearing.

Hiker

[ New ]

OK after trying everything as above with my GP5s , i finally lost all optimism - Also coincided with support finally completed processing my RMA after 9 days -  Cost me $50 to return/insure the RMA as all AU web order originate from Singapore - fyi The 2 Star review i gave GoPro on their website was never published - So i suspect the reviews on the GP site are faked and massively edited out unless they are 5 stars.

My advice if you have this GP5s battery drain problem when OFF ;  is - RMA it as fast as possible 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Had the hero 5 session for two weeks and have used it twice only, first time I used it (wednesday of this week) I charged it on Tuesday evening untl the red charge light went off and then selected turn camera off from the camera. However when i turned it on on wednesday morning the battery indicator on the LED screen was showing approx half charge, went for a ride and the gopro turn off after 40mins. Since Wednesday i have factory reset it and manually installed the firmware. Yesterday I was careful to charge it until 100% (unitl the red charge light went out) and last night when i took it off charge I made sure that voice control and wifi was off before i selected turn camera off on the device itself. Went for a ride this morning turned the gopro on and got a low battery warning and it turned itself off almost immedately so I had to leave it at the house, what a heap of junk, it is totally unacceptable, i thought gopro were supposed to be the dogs danglies? What is gorpo doing about this as it would appear that a lot of people are having the same issue?

Anonymous

[ New ]

Again, Matt, I'd like to thank you for jumping back into this and providing some insight from GoPro in regards to resolving this issue.

I have manually updated the firmware on both cameras and performed the factory reset but the cameras are still unable to hold a charge even after 24 hours, not to mention, the cameras still suffer from overheating at anything higher than 1080/30 which is completely unacceptable for a camera that is billed as a "4K Camera".

I have been loyal to GoPro since the original Hero and will continue to use the Hero Session 4 that I own, but I will be requesting a refund for the Hero 5 Sessions.  30 minutes of footage on a camera with a fixed battery is just not a product I can use.

My case was created today 12/11.  I'll continue to use this thread to update the status of the refund.

Nomad

[ New ]

I wanted to add my 2c worth on this.

Battery lasts fine if I record and use a few days after charging.

However I charged it about 10 days ago and used it this morning. It was flashing flat battery after a few minutes use.

Also the clock was not correct (noticed when I imprted pictures).

I alwasy have connections off, so its not that.

This is not good it goes flat after NON use for less then 2 weeks.

I have loads of gadgets and none of them do this.

I am on 1.5 firmware, lexar 1800x card.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm going away shortly so brought another SD card (not going to have enough time to review and delete all footage) may even by a another before I go... this time a Samsung Pro+ my original was a ScanDisk Extreme.

Since getting the new SD card my battery has not dropped while it has been switched off, previously with the scan disk this would have dropped at least 5% over the course of the night.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'd be interested in finding out more. I just bought SanDIsk cards from Costco that are GoPro approved, but the ones they sell here on the site are different.  

Anonymous

[ New ]

Have the same problem with my Hero 5 Session battery draining when OFF. Have tried all solutions suggested in this entire thread with no satisfaction. Have opened a support ticket but I don't expect much since this issue has been around for so long. It's amazing that GoPro won't own up to the issue and make some gesture to resolve it. If the product is defective, either offer to fix it or replace it with a working product. This is the kind of suppoort I would expect from a cheap Chinese knock-oof, but not from GoPro. Come on guys.

Anonymous

[ New ]
This is a problem with the Hero 5 Black as well. Glad I didn't buy a session 5 like I was about to. At least my 5B I can pull the batteries.

I'm really disappointed in GoPro right now. I usually just used Chinese cameras but was getting annoyed with video quality lacking. So I dropped the coin for a GoPro. Video quality is great, the added "features" are sweet but such a major issue coming from a GoPro that doesn't even occur with cheap cameras is disturbing.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Exactly same issue here. Thank you all for advices.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Same issue here. Voice and WiFi off. Fully charged, then go out several days later and run into a battery issue. At the very least, isn't this an issue either poor operation instructions or false advertising? This camera is not working (including at 4k) as advertised.

I've been using a USB battery pack to avoid it, but can't have the little door on the Session open during a snowfall, or whatever.

I notice when cycling through the menus that SOMETIMES I see a "Turn Camera Off" option that's not always there. What's that about? I'm trying to reproduce the issue to figure out proper shutdown sequence.

SIDE NOTE: Does this site choose your screen name, because I sure as heck didn't pick this one........? (I was worried someone joined using MY email account!!!)

Anonymous

[ New ]

I too have seen the mysterious "Turn Camera Off" option and can't reproduce it, even a few seconds later. I am curious as to the difference between that rare option and the normal "Exit Menu" option. Is there a difference between "Turn Off" and "Exit Menu". I would love a real  "Turn Off" option to solve this annoying battery drain issue.

BTW, I bought a new Sandisk Extreme U3 64GB micro SD card, which is now the third card I've tried. There is no change to battery drain time while the camera is "off". In my case, it's too late to return the camera to the store, but I have no faith a new camera would be betterr. GoPro needs to acknowledge and fix this issue.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Good point. The "Turn Camera Off" option 

I also noticed that and that's I choose to turn off camera by pressing the mode button 5 secs.

Nomad

[ New ]

If I recall corretly if you press the mode button for too long it will reset the camera settings.

I have tried several cards as well the recommended lexar x633 did not perform well and I had lots of digitial blocking and video dropouts from time to time, going as bad as loosing files.

In the end I moved to a lexar x1800 which amazon had on offer.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Anonymous

[ New ]

I noticed that "Turn Off Camera" option is available if you enter Photo mode

Anonymous

[ New ]
My GP 5 just did the overheat thing today. My first GP so don't know what to do. Should I take it back for refund. I am using SANDISK 128 ultra XCI.
Nomad

[ New ]

I guess it depends if you need the features of the GP over another brand.

I really like my session 5 but its spoilt by a few issues.

I am on my second so far, good thing is with amazon I can keep changing it if need be.

Maybe GP will eventually fix these problems with either firmware or hardware solution.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Unsure if this helps. Going to test it out and see if a factory reset is the way to go. https://youtu.be/4k3FBgI8yKM

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Unsure if this helps. Going to test it out and see if a factory reset is the way to go. https://youtu.be/4k3FBgI8yKM

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Nomad

[ New ]

tired the factory reset.

for me did not work.

Anonymous

[ New ]

battery didn't drain out and seems to stay fully charged for me. But I'm having issues reading MicroSDXC cards lol

Hiker

[ New ]

I had this problem.. and the solution was to turn off the voice control, at least for me, the battery holds 100% after a week in the shelf.

I also not use the wifi unless for composition.

I had a huge problem with the 5 Session, one time I charged the session with the voice command on, It will not stop charging.. after almost 6 hours, its still charging and the heat was almost extreme on the 5 session. but after turning off the Voice control.. everything works normally.

Nomad

[ New ]

I have voice control ON.

I specifically ordered the 5 session because of voice control otherwise I would have ordered a different camera.

What I am trying is to make sure it shuts down with 5 beeps.

So "go pro, turn off"

Anonymous

[ New ]

What I have found is that the battery draining problem is inconsistent. Sometimes it drains, sometimes it doesn't. I'm trying to determine if it's some particular sequence of events, such as how you shut it down -- through the menu, through the app and then turning off communicaions, or what.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello to all,

I joined this post because I had same problems with battery and my session5.

The solution is to charge properly, then turn off connection, turn off voice recognition and finally turn off the camera.

I checked after 10 days and the battery is at 100%

Thank you all for sharing ideas

Hiker

[ New ]

Factory reset didn't work for me. battery life is much poorer than my session 4 and i fully charged it prior to use.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Yup!

On my Session 5s, I tried 1080/60 with wifi off, voice off but protune on and I was getting 30-40 minutes before they were dead (on a good day).  Used my 4s this morning with the same settings and I wrapped 80 mins of video and had 60% battery leftover.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I can assure you that this is not the solution in my case along with many others on this thread.  I had voice recognition disabled out of the box and wifi was only on to get my settings right and format the card, it was turned off immediately after.

No one knows what the answer is.  GoPro gave me an RMA and mine took the slow boat back to CA.  I'm assuming they will throw them in a box, send me a "new" set and call that a solution.

IF the replacements perform as they should, I'll be happy.  I have my doubts.

Nomad

[ New ]

A good reason to buy off amazon as they will replace / refund immediatly.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I love the form factor of the session (after initially hating it when it was first announced).. then when they brought 4K to the Session 5, I was all-in.  Sold my Silver 4s and a bunch of mounts that I barely used so I could pick up 2 of them.  Exchanged one within a week because of the battery drain issue only to have the replacement do the same.  Both cameras are now RMA'd and waiting for replacements even though I asked for a credit.

I tried to ride it out, they put out a firmware patch and I thought it'd all be fixed, but it actually got worse.  I've used GoPro for a long time now, but the QC seems to have gone downhill.  Sad.

Hiker

[ New ]

I got 79 minutes worth of video today,was 17 seperate short videos, does this seem acceptable?  Everything is turned off, i charged it the night before.  I'm using a sandisk extreme pro 32g.  Shooting 1080p@60fps.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@robindean wrote:

A good reason to buy off amazon as they will replace / refund immediatly.

I know.  I bought from my local best buy though because I'm impatient and wanted them on launch haha

Waiting for the firmware fix pushed me out of the 30-day return window.  GoPro seems to be making an effort to make it right.  I just want cameras that work, or my money back.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@boldbluff280 wrote:

I got 79 minutes worth of video today,was 17 seperate short videos, does this seem acceptable?  Everything is turned off, i charged it the night before.  I'm using a sandisk extreme pro 32g.  Shooting 1080p@60fps.

I would've killed for that recording duration.  I was lucky to get half of that, also with everything turned off and unplugging from charge 20 mins before use.

Enjoy it!  Embrace it!

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks, i'm trying to decide if this is normal battery life, because i can still return it to amazon till the end of this month.  I shot 1080p@48fps superview with my session 4 and i don't think i ever killed the battery.

Anonymous

[ New ]

@boldbluff280 wrote:

Thanks, i'm trying to decide if this is normal battery life, because i can still return it to amazon till the end of this month.  I shot 1080p@48fps superview with my session 4 and i don't think i ever killed the battery.

I have an entirely refreshed appreciation for the Session 4 after what I went through with the battery life on the 5s.  I think I had to scrap 4-5 entire games just because they couldn't make it to the end of the skate.  Very frustrating.

If it's something you'll use, besure to test out your 4K.  Set it up to record and just let it run.  Check on it for overheating and see how much footage you can get on a fresh charge in 4K.

Nomad

[ New ]

i think the session 5 will give just shy of 2 hours on continuos recording.

Nomad

[ New ]

@greenoasis, thats not right

Anonymous

[ New ]

@robindean wrote:

i think the session 5 will give just shy of 2 hours on continuos recording.

That's what the GoPro tech told me as well.. but that is at 1080/30 with everything else disabled (no wifi, voice control or protune)

Nomad

[ New ]

ok, 

I had seen a youtube video doing a comparison, cant recall if they mentioned about settings at all.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hey guys, let's stay on the topic here, which is problems with battery drain when the camera is OFF. If you have other issues , start a new thread.

Hiker

[ New ]

Am new to GoPro's...got a Hero 5 Session as a gift and am getting everything figured out.  Started looking into battery issues because I felt my battery was dying way too quickly, but I need to test it more.  As far as battery drain when off, I'm not really seeing that yet even with wifi left on.  I also leave voice control on because I don't believe that is causing any drain since the GoPro is not "listening" when off.  For what its worth, I'm running a SanDisk 64gb Extreme Plus UHS-I V30 micro SDXC - don't see how the card has any bearing on battery usage when off either.

Battery was at 70% when I went to bed last night.  Powered it up after work today and it was still at 70%.  However, after playing with it a bit and taking about 15 minutes of 1080 60fps wide video, it quickly drained to 40%.  Not good.  I will test it next by taking video with the voice control and wifi off.

Hiker

[ New ]

I found in tests with 2 x GoPro Session 5 - that the battery indicator is wrong (does not update itself) when first powered up.  If you power up and see full battery icon, after a day "OFF" - just record video for 2 secs and stop - then the "Real" battery charge voltage will be displayed - on mine it always jumps down 1-2 bars.  

Remember that this ICON only shows voltage and not capacity mah.

Anonymous

[ New ]

That agrees with my obserbvations -- that the battery level icon can initally show a "full" indication, but if you wait a few seconds it drops to the "real" level.  Same with the iPhone app. It might show 100% when first turned on, then drops to the "real" level.

I would hope that GoPro would want to fix this battery drain issue, instead of providing useless scripted answers. I want an option to actually turn the camera fully OFF when I know I won't be using it again for a while. Currently the camera only goes into a "sleep" mode in which the battery drain is taking place, for whatever reason. I don't have the option of simply removing the battery as the Hero 5 Black owners do.

Hiker

[ New ]

@2meerkats wrote:

I found in tests with 2 x GoPro Session 5 - that the battery indicator is wrong (does not update itself) when first powered up.  If you power up and see full battery icon, after a day "OFF" - just record video for 2 secs and stop - then the "Real" battery charge voltage will be displayed - on mine it always jumps down 1-2 bars.  

Remember that this ICON only shows voltage and not capacity mah.

OK well that would explain my rapid loss of battery power after minimal filming.  Just to be clear, I was referring to the battery charge indicated in the settings of the Capture app on my Android.  So I will let my fully charged Session sit until tomorrow afternoon, this time with wifi (aka connection,) turned off and see what my battery level is at after taking a 2 second video.

Hiker

[ New ]

I have NOT used my 2 x GoPro Session for a week to test latent "drain" when" off investigation/problem.  My findings are that the Battery voltage ICON is poorly calibrated on both GP5 Sessions i own - So after a week Camera-A showed a FULL icon when turned ON. Camera-B showed 80% - Thats even weirder when i later realised i left Camera-A wifi was on (i usually go thru the menus and select all connections off) -  Camera B had all connections off - but had been previously tethered it to a REMO (remo was off) - both cameras were OFF - 5 beeps. Storage temp was around 25°C.

When i recharged them today using an accurate capacity meter for mah - my Camera -A took 406mah to restore (so battery was at 57% proven capacity) ; my Camera-B took 781mah to restore to full (so battery was actually only 18% proven capacity) (theoretically these batteries hold 1050mah - but i found when testing both of mine they came "flat" from the GoPro(Cam A) and flat from the Store(Cam B) ((storing lithium batteries flat reduces their future capacity)) - so their effective capacity had been reduced to 950mah when brand new first day, anyway.

Relating back to the Voltage ICON Full turned out to be 57% when measured mah for my Camera-A ; and 80% ICON turned out to be 18% when measured the mah capacity.

We need new FIRMWARE which places the cam under load for first secounds of start-up and more accurately reflects the volt/capacity curve of lithium (basically a proper calibration form GoPro engineers)

Anonymous

[ New ]

@2meerkats wrote:

I have NOT used my 2 x GoPro Session for a week to test latent "drain" when" off investigation/problem.  My findings are that the Battery voltage ICON is poorly calibrated on both GP5 Sessions i own - So after a week Camera-A showed a FULL icon when turned ON. Camera-B showed 80% - Thats even weirder when i later realised i left Camera-A wifi was on (i usually go thru the menus and select all connections off) -  Camera B had all connections off - but had been previously tethered it to a REMO (remo was off) - both cameras were OFF - 5 beeps. Storage temp was around 25°C.

When i recharged them today using an accurate capacity meter for mah - my Camera -A took 406mah to restore (so battery was at 57% proven capacity) ; my Camera-B took 781mah to restore to full (so battery was actually only 18% proven capacity) (theoretically these batteries hold 1050mah - but i found when testing both of mine they came "flat" from the GoPro(Cam A) and flat from the Store(Cam B) ((storing lithium batteries flat reduces their future capacity)) - so their effective capacity had been reduced to 950mah when brand new first day, anyway.

Relating back to the Voltage ICON Full turned out to be 57% when measured mah for my Camera-A ; and 80% ICON turned out to be 18% when measured the mah capacity.

We need new FIRMWARE which places the cam under load for first secounds of start-up and more accurately reflects the volt/capacity curve of lithium (basically a proper calibration form GoPro engineers)

And you just single-handedly did more work than GoPro's technical support and R&D departments.  Great stuff, thank you for sharing!