Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero Session 5 Battery Drain When Off

[ New ]

OK, after fully charging my Hero 5 Session AND turning the wifi OFF last night, I let it sit for approximately 20 hours.  Turned it on and took about 5 seconds of video and then turned wifi back on.  Checked both the battrery icon on the Session and the battery level in the Capture app - BOTH AT 100%!  Now I am shooting non-stop video (1080/60fps/W) to see how fast the battery level drops.  As of this writing I am at 30 minutes of recording time and the battery level is at 70% - and this is with wifi, voice control, and video stabilization ON.  At this rate I would expect to get 1:40 of recording time with all that on.  So, at least in my case, the key to battery preservation is to turn off connections before storing and also when not using my smartphone to view my shot.  As I suspected, leaving voice control on during storage has no effect on the battery because it is not listening (no power usage,) when off.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Brewcityrider:

We would be very interested in your continuing experience. In my experience, I've had times when the battery held solid at 100% for a few days, but after the process of quickly checking the battery status and shutting down again, the battery drain issue appears again. So, it's inconsistent, even when using the same sequence of operations.

It's deceiving and frustrating, because just when I think I've found the magic sequence of steps to shut down, the same sequence doesn't work next time. I'm hoping that someone will find a working sequence because I now have no faith that GoPro will solve this for us. If you find something you think works, test it over and over because one seemingly successful attempt is likely not the answer. 

Hiker

[ New ]

stackpoint007 I will continue to test and monitor.  Will report back when I have more info...

Hiker

[ New ]

Folks, my drainage problems have disappeared when I begun using the "turn camera off" menu command. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Sinker:  

That's one technique I haven't tried yet but will do so. Just to be clear, you are going into Photo Mode and then using "Turn Camera Off", right? 

Please report back if you find that this isn't working. Because the issue is so inconsistent, something that might seem to work a time or two, can easily turn out not to be a solution.

Here's a little test I intend to perform. If Communications is turned on and the Session is turned OFF using the "Print Mode" and "Camera Off" sequence, then I'll look on my phone to see if it turns off WiFi. If it does, the camera is actually off. Otherwise, this sequence is no different than the others that have been tried.

Hiker

[ New ]

Looks like that "turn camera off" option while in Photo mode is only there as another convenient option to using the voice command to turn off the camera.  Remember that when in video mode the camera shuts off when clicking the shutter button to end a video - not so in photo mode because that wouldn't make sense to have the camera turn off every time you take a single photo.  So that "turn camera off" option results in the same camera state as touching the power button in the app, or using the "GoPro turn off" voice command, or clicking through to the "exit menu" command. Connections will remain ON if they were ON to begin with.  The only way to turn off connections is to manually select it in the menu and then turn it off.

Now having said the above, I just discovered tonight that although the connections setting in the Session remains ON, the wireless signal will actually shut OFF in about 20 minutes. I found this after randomly checking my Android for the GoPro network in my wireless settings on multiple occasions throughout the evening. After a period of about 20 minutes the network would no longer be listed.  Then I would turn my Session back on and the network would immediately reappear. Then I would turn off the Session - and again, the GoPro network would remain as a connection option in my Android for about another 20 minutes before disappearing again once the Session wireless shuts down automatically.  Not sure about Bluetooth yet...I have read that Bluetooth will remain on for 8 hours on the Black - not sure on the Session.

Hiker

[ New ]

@brewcityrider Agreed - Good finding ! - > - out of my 2  x Session 5 in a 1 week-off test ; the newer serial number (with RC still active) drained far less power than the older revision even though the newer one had RC remote active (I have done a "bind" to both units -> so when i powered up the Smart remote the newer unit awake from sleep ; the other did not wake) - yet the older drained far far more power with ALL it's Connections off - it's likely a complex power management subroutine in firmware with 3 level levels of sleep/pwr saving - but i suspect some older hardware versions of GPs5  cannot take advantage of the newest firmware ;; I suspect GoPro became aware of the draining problem in first production batch and have revised hardware pcb/components in newest GPs5's (silent hardware revision) so we are going to get some people saying theirs is better - and some with older Rev units experiencing very fast drain -

But in all cases the GPs5's i have had in my hands don't have a DEEP SLEEP functionality working fully 100% - because in a boardroom shootout the "fast Start  team" got the thumbs up and the battery team got "shouted down" ; I am going to return my 2nd dud.

The Memory card is a smoke screen question - All 3 of my Session have been 0% battery - flat - when i opened them for the first time - worst thing ever for a Lithium cell.    the 1.5 firmware only seems to advantage newer rev's

Nomad

[ New ]

How do you know a new serial number from old ?

My first session 5 went back after a few weeks and the replacement had a lower serial number than the first.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Nomad

[ New ]

just to clarify, the replacement one was new as got it replaced by amazon.

Adventurer

[ New ]

If  sent to gopro you  never know what you get new.

so you got a new Session but do not record your seriel number but like to know if you recieved an  different one.  gopro/support/firmware update manual load it wil list your seriels in there

Nomad

[ New ]

I made a note of old serial number.

Unfortuntely they do not show up (old and new) in the link posted above anymore.

I have done all updates manually which require input of serial number.

Hiker

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Sinker:  

That's one technique I haven't tried yet but will do so. Just to be clear, you are going into Photo Mode and then using "Turn Camera Off", right? 

Please report back if you find that this isn't working. Because the issue is so inconsistent, something that might seem to work a time or two, can easily turn out not to be a solution.

Here's a little test I intend to perform. If Communications is turned on and the Session is turned OFF using the "Print Mode" and "Camera Off" sequence, then I'll look on my phone to see if it turns off WiFi. If it does, the camera is actually off. Otherwise, this sequence is no different than the others that have been tried.

Yes, that's what I mean. It's been working for a few months. Before I found this technique the camera would drain completely overnight.

I'm not sure if it has any benefit, but I keep voice and connections off all the time.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Anonymous

[ New ]

Was a definitive solution found? I think some reported that useing the "turn camera off" option didn't preserve battery over night.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi everyone!

I'm from Portugal, so sorry about some future grammar mistakes.

I just bought my first GoPro Hero 5 Black, (friday 13th january 2017) and also a memory card (SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC ActionSC Extreme V30).

Everything is fine, until i noticed that if i let the GH5B turn off, it looses 10% battery (without using it) in 24hours with:
Latest Firmware update
GPS - OFF
Voice Control - OFF
QuikCapture - OFF
WiFi - OFF
Question 1 - I think if im not using it, shouldn't that stay in 100%?

So after contact the suport, they told me to run a test recording in 1080/30 preferences.
Results: Recording Time 2H10m (My Sd got full) 2% battery left
              Turn off Time +5m after stop recording
              Battery Life 2H15m

Question 2 - It's a good recording time?

I hope that you can give me your opinion because i think that the recording time is fine, but loosing 10% battery in 24 hours without using is very strange.

Thank you for your time

Anonymous

[ New ]

Jose:

This thread is specifically about the Hero 5 Session, but I know that Hero 5 Black are experiencing some of the same issues. I believe there is another thread more specific to that camera.

Essentially, the issue is that the battery drains when the camera is "off" because it's not really OFF and there are processes going on the background, even after communications and voice contraol have been turned off. Many people are experiencing this issue and have gotten unsatisfactory responses -- and no solutions --  from GoPro support. Some people do not have the issue and some, like myself, have it intermittenly. Many of us have tried different solutions, such as using different SD cards or using a particular shutdown sequence, some of which *seem* to work in some cases. However, I haven't yet seen a conclusive answer either from the community or from GoPro.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I can report that using the "turn camera off" option does preserve the battery. I left connections on and turned it off that way and after two whole days of standby, it still has 100% charge. Before, it drained a bit over one night.
Adventurer

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm from Portugal, so sorry about some future grammar mistakes.

I just bought my first GoPro Hero 5 Black, (friday 13th january 2017) and also a memory card (SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC ActionSC Extreme V30).

Everything is fine, until i noticed that if i let the GH5B turn off, it looses 10% battery (without using it) in 24hours with:
Latest Firmware update
GPS - OFF
Voice Control - OFF
QuikCapture - OFF
WiFi - OFF
Question 1 - I think if im not using it, shouldn't that stay in 100%?

So after contact the suport, they told me to run a test recording in 1080/30 preferences.
Results: Recording Time 2H10m (My Sd got full) 2% battery left
              Turn off Time +5m after stop recording
              Battery Life 2H15m

Question 2 - It's a good recording time?

I hope that you can give me your opinion because i think that the recording time is fine, but loosing 10% battery in 24 hours without using is very strange.

Thank you for your time

QUik capture OFF turn that bad boy back on that is a Drain Killer!!!!!

Nomad

[ New ]

I think the recording time is about right.

I think the hard switch off is better, ie through the menu so you hear the 5 beeps.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I'm in tech product management. I have read a bunch of blogs on this topic of on/off and sounds like a design flaw that GoPro won't admit. I have also tried all the above. Looks like GoPro is starting to become inferior to the mega camera companies... 🙁
Anonymous

[ New ]

Since my lasts posts on this topic, and attempting all the "fixes" suggested here and by GoPro's non-support, I've found I get excellent battery retention by simply recharging and then letting it be. As soon as I check the battery status or otherwise do anything else in the menu, the battery begins discharging.

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, same here.  I usually just charge it up after using and then shut it off as is.  I think turning connections off first saves a small amount of battery life, but I don't bother since the wifi will completely turn off after 20 minutes anyway.  After cycling the battery a few times in my new Session 5 I have found it to be stronger and am satisfied with it.  

Anonymous

[ New ]

BrewCityRider:

I think you're right. The connections turn off automatically. Simply recharging, and resisting the urge to check the battery status seems to be the best strategy.

Anonymous

Solved?: Hero Session 5 Battery Drain When Off

[ New ]

I think I've found the way to fix this. My camera had been draining about 20% of the battery in 24 hours when off. Even turning off WiFI only changed that by only a few percent points.

But I realized last week that I can fully turn off the camera by pressing the Menu futton for 5-8 seconds. After doing that my camera only drains the battery at a rate of less than 1% per day!

The downside is that obviously you can't turn on the camera remotely since it is in a hard-off state, but turning it on is a matter of just pressing the menu button again, and from there the camera can be managed from the app. Of course, remember to turn it off with the menu button again once you are donw.

I would like to confirm from others that this also solves the issue for their cameras. Can you charge the battery in full and then press the menu button for eight seconds to turn it off and measure the charge after a few days?

Anonymous

Re: Solved?: Hero Session 5 Battery Drain When Off

[ New ]

Like everyone else on this thread, I too was having the battery drain issue.  I found this video on YouTube, followed the three steps he laid out and my battery drain issue is resolved.  The camera has now gone three days without loosing a single percentage on the battery meter.  Whereas before it would loose upwards of 20-25% overnight. 

I hope this helps othersfind some resolution.

https://youtu.be/4k3FBgI8yKM

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Anonymous

[ New ]
I manually updated my Hero5 Session about 3 weeks ago when they released the 1.51 update. I then charged it, turned it off and left it. I checked this morning and it has only gone down 1 bar. It used to lose a bar in less than 24 hours. Hope the update sorts everyone else's problems as well.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Update 1.57...not 1.51
Nomad

[ New ]

Cool.

I have the all the connections off and reset the device by hard and soft resets.

I think the battery is now not draining as it was before.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hello everyone,

I want to share my experience with the Gopro 5 session battery drain and record time.

I started out with the Gopro hero 5 black, but after returning 4 cameras which all had battery drain no matter which micro sd card, settings or firmware i used - I gave up!

I then decided(Don´t ask me why) to give the Gopro hero 5 session a chance. 

After 1 week of playing around with the session 5, here are my results and what I have done setup etc.

Straight out of the box I turned it on and got a low battery warning - switched it off and gave it a full charge via USB on my laptop.

I put the micro SD card(Lexar 633x 64GB UHS-1 Class 10 - LSDMI64GBBEU633A) and updated the firmware using the capture app to the currently version 1.57.

I was turning the camera on and off manually using the option button on the backside of the camera(turning wifi on also, everything else off), and connecting it to capture too see if any drainage was occuring. I was turning it on/off every hour. After 12 hours or so it had not dropped 1% and was suspecting something was wrong. I was correct as the percentage suddenly dropped from 100% to 70%.

I know that turning a camera on and off every hour + turning wifi on and off will require some power, but 30% seems like overkill. 

I decided to give it a full charge again and see how long record time i could get out of it, and now it does´nt make any sense at all.

I started to record right after the red leds on the camera went out, so I was sure it had a full charge. 

On my first attempt with 1080P 60fps and linear + EIS on(Everything else off, no wifi neither) I got 94 min. and 27 sec. I then gave it a full charge - emptied the SD card(using Quik) and switched it off holding the option button(5 seconds) and left it over night. I estimate the camera too have been switched off for between 8-10 hours before my second attempt of recording. On my second attempt(With the same settings as the first) I got 97 min and 2 sec of record time.

I´ve read every post in this topic and it seems like everybody gets different results reffering to the battery drain problem. For now I´m happy with the record time that i get, but i will try to leave the camera off for a couple of days and then record to see how the record time will be.

It´s not a conclusion since I know that some of you guys have tried the same, but for me it seems like turning off the camera using the option button actually shuts it off and does´nt just switch into"sleep" mode, only time will tell and I will write another post when I´ve tried to record some more and using some other settings.

It would be nice to hear what record time you get and/or if you have found any other solutions that works for you?

PS 

ATT Gopro: All these drainage problems starts to get embarrassing for you. I know you are getting slaughtered on the stock market and your drones are falling from the sky. But you need to fix these problems and make an official statement instead of suggestion your customers to do this and that. Your cutting off the branch your sitting on when not taking this serious or finding a solution, sad.

Nomad

[ New ]

I did see a thingy on youtube where the guy was getting just under 2 hours recording time with the session 5.

Currently the (this) problem seems to gone away.

Latest firmware.

soft reset - hold menu button down for 5-10 seconds

hard reset - on exit menu, hold down record button for for 10 seconds, confirm factory reset.

Now if they could fix the voice commands and the acknoledge beeps on start and stop recording I would be a lot happier with camera.

Anonymous

[ New ]

How long have you tried to leave your Gopro off and not getting any drain on the battery?

Nomad

[ New ]

I guess several days (3 or 4)

Early on I was getting a problem overnight.

To be honest the battery drian issue seems to be solved but I dont check it now.

I leave all connections off after I set up camera (which has to be done after hard reset).

My setup is 1080p Linear, anti shake on, voice commands on, LEDS off.

Camera orientation top.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Ok cool, it would be great if they have finally found a solution to the drainage problem on the Session 5 then, I`ve only had mine for a week so haven´t had a long struggle as some of you.

But if so its corncerning that they have not found a solution for the Black edition then. I had a Black(My 4th haha) last week and i had a total drain over 1 night. That was also the reason i gave up on it, 4 cameras cant all be lemons seems like hardware problems from the factory if you ask me

Nomad

[ New ]

I am on my second session 5, think the firmware still has someways to go but once they cure the other problems will be happy.

As to if its a hardware problem they are not saying.

Anonymous

[ New ]

So do you believe it´s only due to the firmware that the drain problem occures? or why did you change your first session 5?

Nomad

[ New ]

Yes I think its firmware on the drain issue.

The 2nd camera I had was a slightly earlier version.

The first camera had a lot of issues, video drop outs (not related to micro sd card) being the worse problem.

Some other issues could have been firmware as early on things were changing rapidly.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Interesting, lets hope that the latest firmware on the Session5 has at least solved the battery issue then. Have you had any experience with the black edition?

Nomad

[ New ]

I hope so as well.

Also The fix on my other 2 big issues need tobe resolved asap as well.

No not used the black, I was tempted to buy one but the session 5 does everything I need if they can fix the firmware.

Anonymous

[ New ]

What is the problems with your leds and voice command?, it doesn´t seem like I have those issues on my camera

Nomad

[ New ]

The leds are fine.

Voice commands just do not work correctly, ie I can say GOPRO stop recording time after time, each time it will stop recording, then start recording. Same in reverse. It cant tell the difference.

Coupled to this you only get 1 acknoldge beep, each time, so no idea what the camera is doing as its mounted on my cap.

The beeps should be different to distinguish between the 2 commands.

https://youtu.be/X6OK_5CP7So

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Arh ok I see. It makes the voice command useless when you don`t get different beeps on the different commands + the fact you`re pointing out that the camera can`t hear the difference. I don´t use the VC but i can definitely see it being a major issue if you wear it on a cap like yourself or helmet. Come on Gopro...

Hiker

[ New ]

Since upgrading both of my GoPro Session 5 's to the newer v2.0 firmware ; the "draining when off issue" is fixed as far as i can tell (drains a LOT less power in my tests) - recommend others here consider trying the v2.0 firmware in your Session 5's

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks for the notification that Ver. 2.0 is available. I just updated. Here's hoping it works for the battery drain issue. The only way I found to prevent the drain before was to charge the battery, disconnect, and not touch the camera again until needed. If it was used in any way, even checking the battery status or looking at the menu, the drain would begin.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have this same problem. I have emailed Gopro and they only suggested that i reset the camera. I have turned off all connections, voice control, changed cards from my Hero 5 Black and it stil cant sit a few days without being totally dead. Its really annoying because my Hero 5 Black and 4 session work perfectly. 

Hiker

[ New ]

I found the v 2.0 firmware a big help ; the power saving in v2.0 firmware is more aggressive and works ; but also be sure to

1) Delete the Session5 in listed devices in Capture App on your Phone

2) Delete the Session 5 serial number from Wifi - forget this device

3) Delete the Session 5 from Bluetooth settings in the phone

4) Reset any Smart GoPro Remote 

as well

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have done alll of the above and sitl it's going dead in a few hours.  I've been shooting with POV cameras for years.  This is my first and last GoPro product but would still like to use it...

Anonymous

[ New ]

I feel your pain.

As I've stated in a previous post, the ONLY way I can keep my Session 5 from draining its battery while OFF if to fully charge it and not touch it until I need to use it. Any viewing of the menu, such as to check battery status, starts the discharge after you exit the menu. I believe Version 2.00 has improved things but not totally resolved it.

Anonymous

[ New ]

After anothe major problem came up, I'm returning the camera.  Terrable product but at least great custamer support.  A lot of practice i guess.

Tourist

[ New ]
I've had this, not sure if it's been mentioned, but the microSD card can't keep up with the data being poured into it and stupid accepting it. The camera stupid recording, and the sessions shut off when they aren't recording.

You need to get a better microSD, with higher data transfer rates. Either get yourself a UHS class one or higher, that or record at painfully lower frame rates and image quality.

Good luck