Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero Black 7 tethering to android phone via usb cable

Hello ! I am trying to connect a GoPro Hero Black 7 to an Android phone via USB Cable, to livestream via the GoPro app. I have purchased a USB C to micro USB B cable but the Android phone does not recognise the Gopro. Any ideas would be  gratefully appreciated. Thanks 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero Black 7 tethering to android phone via usb cable

No it won't.  It's very unlikely that your android phone has a built in HDMI Capture function.  So you would need a cable for your camera (micro HDMI), a HDMI capture device that works with an android phone (good luck finding one of those) and then some sort of software that works with the HDMI capture device.

Since just about every android phone has a built in camera, you'll find it next to impossible to get an android based HDMI capture device.  You're basically trying to use the camera and phone in a way that neither were designed to be used.

You can always stream via the GoPro app without attaching a cable as that's how your GoPro and phone were actually designed to work in the first place.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

The GoPro Hero 7 doesn't support USB-C to HDMI video.  This is why it has it's own seperate Micro HDMI port.  As that's the only port that supports video out.  So you would need some sort of android HDMI capture device.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi thanks for the info. so if I buy a cable to link to the Gopro by it's HDMI slot rather than the USB C slot , that should work. Would you know what kind of HDMI cable a GOPRO Black 7 takes ? many thanks for the help !

Highlighted
Nomad

No it won't.  It's very unlikely that your android phone has a built in HDMI Capture function.  So you would need a cable for your camera (micro HDMI), a HDMI capture device that works with an android phone (good luck finding one of those) and then some sort of software that works with the HDMI capture device.

Since just about every android phone has a built in camera, you'll find it next to impossible to get an android based HDMI capture device.  You're basically trying to use the camera and phone in a way that neither were designed to be used.

You can always stream via the GoPro app without attaching a cable as that's how your GoPro and phone were actually designed to work in the first place.

Highlighted
Nomad

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks for all the advice. I did purchase an Android compatible capture card , which did not work. The reason why i am trying to link via USB is my wifi/bluetooth  live stream keeps cutting out and I am trying to make it more stable. Apparently 480 requires a 4g signal strenth of around 500kbps and 720 requires around 1500kbps. Using a 4G signal strength app it would appear my average 4g signal is usually 900kbps so I need to livestream at 480 resolution. Thanks again.