Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 9 won't pair with Smart Remote.

Am I doing sometyhing wrong?

Both devices are new out of the package.

I followed the remote insreuctions but when I go to the camera preferences menu the only option for connections is with the app...no option, as the remote instructions state, for a remote.

When I attempt to pair anyway, the remote comes baqck with "0 CAMS".

I've tried various combinations of powering one or the other on/off in differnet sequences but the results are the same.

TIA!

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 9 won't pair with Smart Remote.

That's because they are not compatible. Heaps of posts re the same issue on this forum.

GoPro are apparently working on a 'new' remote.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thanks, Alex.

No thanks, GoProSmiley Sad

Highlighted
Tourist

GoPro has built a really good reputation & has great products. Only issue I have & don't quite understand, is why produce accessories like the Remo, WiFi, & Smart Remotes that have a very short lifespan & are not compatible with future cameras, especially when they connect via WiFi or Bluetooth which is an industry standard. I really hate investing $80 (3 times) on a perfect accessory just to use it as a door stop cuz I upgraded to the latest camera. Why would the Product Managers & Marketing do that to their most faithful fans & users. For sure, all it takes is a firmware upgrade on these remotes to make it work with all the cameras. Even just to make the Start/Stop button work, cuz that's really all we need on a remote. We don't need 3 separate remotes cuz we are still using all the GoPro cameras we invested over the years! I just don't get it!

Highlighted
Nomad

Actually both the smart remote and remo have lasted far longer than the lifespans of the camera models they were made for.  The Smart remote has actually supported GoPro camera's from the GoPro Hero 2 upwards.  So claming the remotes have a very short lifespan is just plain false.  Then there is the issue of bluetooth and wifi versions (not to mention tech) both of which have changed since the original release.  

The GoPro remote could use updating as I always found the lack of a backlight to be a pain, especially when using in the dark or at night, also the ability to connect to multiple camera's at once was always a bit unreliable.  Hopefully the new remote corrects these issues and improves upon what it can do.  I'm also hoping that it will be backwards compatible and support some of the older cameras to at least the GoPro Hero 4.