Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 will not power on during SCUBA dive

[ New ]

New Gopro Hero 9 in proctective housing being used for SCUBA.  After using following a early dive, using Quick capture and then will not powern back on.  Battery indicated it had 65% charge

GoPro

Re: Hero 9 will not power on during SCUBA dive

[ New ]

Hi @gregh555

What version is the camera on?

Is this only observed when used on a certain depth?

Do you observe the same when using the camera with the housing but not underwater?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

EJ,

Using Hero9 with version 01.52

Not known if it is depth related.  Was diving to 70ft or so on second dive.  Water temp around 80F.  I am wondering if it is a heat issue when camera was in water tub between dives (1 hour not in direct sunlight) and heat generated by air temp and camera heat generated inside housing?

This occured on two different days.  Third day I changed batteries between dives.  Wondering if this helped expel built up heat from first dive.  Did this for several days and did not see problem again.

Do not use housing above water.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @gregh555

Would you be able to do a run time test on the camera(not underwater).

Test it with and without the housing.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @gregh555  Seems it's a common issue. I'm a dive instructor and I lost count of how many stories like this happened to them, either with GoPro 8 or 9. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer to that issue but all indicates to an overheating problem but I recommend you to contact them directly to the support and report this issue.