Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Hero 9 will not connect to PC or iPad

[ New ]

I just got my Hero 9. Great. Except nothing will recognize it when connected. I've tried 3 different cables (2 USB A to C cables and 1 C to C cable) in 3 different ports and on 2 different devices (Windows PC and iPad Pro) and NOTHING will recognize it or acknowledge its existence.

When I take the micro SD card out and place it in a reader it works fine, so the card isn't the problem.

I tried the old QUIK software and it wouldn't recognize the Hero 9 either.

I did run the update as soon as I unboxed it

I have tried turning the computers and the Hero itself on and off several times

I've seen some people say it appears for them under "Portable Devices" as an MTP (or something like that) device, but it does not for me.

The inability to simply plug the Hero into a device is a deal breaker for me. Any help on this would be great. Thanks!

Nomad

Re: Hero 9 will not connect to PC or iPad

[ New ]

There is a setting in Preferences to set the GoPro as an MTP device. It is not the default - it has to be set. Did you do that?

Tourist

[ New ]

Actually the MTB selection is under Connections/usbconnection

Nomad

[ New ]

set the MTB connection under connections - USB settings

Sightseer

[ New ]

No I didn't. Thank you so much. It's my first GoPro.

Nomad

[ New ]

To be fair this is first time seen this, I had 7 before hand

Tourist

[ New ]

yes, I have had the exact same problem.  I spent 3 days with support.  Apparently, we need a 3.0 USB cable.  The cable that comes with the GP is a 2.0?????WTF.  After my 3 days with support, they never mentioned this.  I discovered this from the video below.  These cables are not easy to find locally, I am waiting for my amazon delivery to see if this solves the problem.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dALeZxSa6c

GoPro Webcam Beta: http://www.gopro.com/webcam (and select Windows)(Update note: The link now says the 2.0 firmware update should work - go ahead and give it...
Nomad

[ New ]

The rouned connetor that plugs into camera is USB C, the other end is a USB B

I thought maybe incorrectly all USB C cables where usb 3 ?

Luckily I have a USB C to USB C which I use so I can plug directly to my macbook computer.

I must try the lead they supplied see what happens.

Tourist

[ New ]
Having same issue since updating my firmware last night but on the Hero 8... I had connected my H8 several times to my computer earlier in the day and then after I updated the firmware it completely stopped working.

I tried changing to MDT mode and the device shows up in Windows Explorer but when I drill down to the DCIM folder it's just empty...

This worked yesterday and now it doesn't and thus a firmware issue...
Tourist

[ New ]

I RECEIVED MY 3.0 CABLE TODAY.  MY PC RECOGNIZES THE GP BUT I STILL CANNOT USE IT AS A WEBCAM OR LIVE FEED!  I PLAN TO RETURN IT ASAP. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @bryansloan. If using the camera as a webcam, the USB Connection must be set to GoPro Connect instead of MTP. Is this how your camera is set? 

Tourist

[ New ]

i am in gopro connect.  I have done everything. I just left support once again.   I have factory reset my camera, disk reformats, done the hard update, got the success for update, working 3.0 port working 3.0 cable, intsllalled the webcam file. 

NOTHING IS WORKING to correct the problem.  the only reason I bought this camera was to use it as a webcam for a lab class.  Instead of using it in class, I have spent nearly 3 weeks just trying to get it to function as advertised.

Hiker

[ New ]
I feel your pain. Such a let down this Hero 9.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hello, I just wanted to check if changing the cable solved this issue. I am having the same issue with my 2020 ipad pro and hero9.. thanks

Nomad

[ New ]

Have you changed the connection type in usb settings ?

Should be MTP

Hiker

[ New ]

yes. settings have been changed as suggested....it connects fine in my macbook pro using the supplied usb cable----but not the ipad pro...I edit my videos using the ipad so it will help not removing the sd card everytime I need to move the video clips to the ipad.

Nomad

[ New ]

Not sure to be honest then.

Tourist

[ New ]
I resolved this by returning the Hero 8 and bought the Osmo Action...

Plug in the camera... it opens up the DCIM folder and allows me to see / play all my files, which by the way are all logically named and in order with proper date/time stamps which was not the case with the Hero 8.

The infuriating thing for me was that the Hero 8 did allow this until that last update... why?!
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @edosan7. The camera is not designed to connect to an iPad Pro via cable or direct connection. For mobile devices like the iPad Pro, the media from the camera can be accessed through the GoPro App. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks guys setting my 

go Pro 9 to MTP solved my connection problem and the usb cable that came with the camera works fine for me now.    

Tourist

[ New ]

Go to Settings> Connection> USB settings > MTB settings and then the Go Pro will connect

Sightseer

[ New ]
Excellent, that fixed it and Quick found my Gopro9