Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 screen flicker on playback

[ New ]
Found another bug, possibly hardware issue. Screen began flickering on playback mode mostly on photo playback. Never seen this before until this evening.

Already reset camera and on latest firmware... Help me on this plz
Tourist

Re: Hero 9 screen flicker on playback

[ New ]

I am having the same issue with my Hero 9... but the back screen flickers noticeably at all times, not just in playback.  On the menu screens and recording screens too.  The front screen is working normally no flicker.  So I think it may be hardware... thinking of doing a return/exchange.

Hiker

[ New ]
So my camera resolved itself after it cooled down. Was your camera warm when you see this flicker?
Hiker

[ New ]

I am also having issues with the rear display flickering. For me, it happens almost all the time. I think when i boot up from cold, it doesnt happen right away. But few mins and it starts to flicker. The flicker is only present on the rear display and not on the videos.

Doesn't seem to matter what im viewing on the rear display. In discussion with support now about it

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @redhike31720, @pmok, and @joostain. As always, we'd like to isolate the issue by making sure that your cameras are updated to the latest firmware and are using the recommended SD card. 

Does it matter which resolution settings were used for the media being played back? What Anti-Flicker setting were your cameras set to? It seems that the effect is related to the camera temperature. More details regarding the observed behavior will be helpful in determining the cause. A sample clip showing the issue will greatly help, as well. We hope to hear back from you. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Hi Gopro

1. Firmware = latest version
1.1 SD Card = Samsung EVO SDXC 256GB with read speed of 100mb and write speed of 90mb (Class 10 U3)
2.1 Camera factory reset done (issue persisted)
2.2 Battery pull to see if I can reset cache (Issue persisted)
3. Playback was on photos when screen flicker happened. Its a very fast flicker on screen especially when looking at bright spots.
4. Anti-Flicker set at 60hz (USA) however its irrelevant since I am looking at a Photo on back of a gopro (not video)

Behavior:
This issue happened after I charged the camera and camera body was mildly warm to the touch. While the camera was warm, I had performed factory reset, then battery pull for 5 minutes and still see the flicker. It was until next day when the camera is completely cooled and shutoff for over 8 hours when the flicker was resolved.

This leads me to think that its heat related.
Hiker

[ New ]

Here is some links to video I recorded of the flicker

1. Recorded with pixel 3xl - 1/4 speed kicks in at 1 sec. https://youtu.be/WCL88lYDocc

2. Recorded with pixel 3xl - 1/8 speed kicks in at 1 sec. https://youtu.be/O8oFDzqpFlE

3. Recorded with pixel 3xl - normal speed https://youtu.be/B7b886ydm40

attached is photo that I was viewing on the GoPro Hero 9.

I will play around more to try to capture the screen flicker

photo.jpg
rear display flicker of gopro hero 9 recorded with pixel 3 on 1/8 speed which kicks in at 1 second into the video
Flickering is not visible probably because the frequency of the flicker is the same as my pixel recording the display.
Tourist

[ New ]

yes, same story for me.  Hero9 is updated to latest firmware, version 01.21 as of this moment.  I have noticed that my Hero9 gets very hot, not just the screen but the entire unit.  The rear screen flickers very very fast and the effect is best seen when displaying something bright like sunlight or a white wall.  Like I said above, not just during playback but any time the rear screen is on.  The front screen seems to have no issue.  I have also pulled the battery, done the full reset, none of the recommended things has eliminated the problem.

I have opened a support case with GoPro and have discussed with a support representative.  He has asked that I send in a video of the problem so they can investigate and advise further steps.  He said if need be, they will send me shipping label to return the unit and get a replacement sent back to me.

Tourist

[ New ]
and I will add, that I bought the GoPro bundle direct from GoPro so it came with included SanDisk 32GB microSD card, and that is the card I am using in it.
Hiker

[ New ]
I am testing right now shooting 5k video to get the camera to heat up and see if I can replicate the issue. It's currently at 105F, no flicker so far
Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

I can now confirm that this is heat related issue and can reproduce the same back screen flicker as before when playback various photos. 

Testing Methodology:

Continiously record 5k 24p to get the camera to heat up to about 122 degrees (about 35 minutes of 5k recording with Battery door open due to USB C cable plugged in)

Test Results:

• At 105 Degree F no Flicker
  • At 120 Degree F the back screen begins to flicker rapidly when viewing images.

Conclusion:
Screen performance affected when camera is at high temp, a temperature tolerance that is allowed by GoPro software but has seemingly negative effects to hardware performance. This is a real issue and need to be addressed asap (Potentially recording limit or heat warning)

20201005_175803.jpg

Tourist

[ New ]

wow, you are doing much more exhaustive testing than I, @redhike31720  ... 

but i can tell you that mine seems to have deteriorated to the point that it is flickering regardless of temperature.  even when I turn it on from cold, the screen flickers pretty noticeably.  

Here are a few videos of mine.  Recorded on iPhone 11 Max Pro at 1080p60.  In person it is much more noticeable than the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfU-o9zhdSI

https://youtu.be/WEWpXL4EoOQ

Hiker

[ New ]
@pmock just a job habit of mine lol...

Letting it cool down to 79 degree F seems to reduce the flicker although I still see minor screen flicker. Will confirm again tomorrow after it rest for several hours.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your findings. On these observations that you have captured (with camera temperature showing 120 degrees F or higher), was there a warning or reminder form the camera about it shutting down due to high temperature? 

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't have any temperature data from my camera, but I get no warnings about temperature or shutting down, even when it gets very hot to the touch.  

Hiker

[ New ]
At 120f no heat warning yet, but it's hot to the touch and I stopped the 5k recording. At that temp I was able to replicate the flicker issue. The camera cool down to 68F and no flicker
Hiker

[ New ]

The temperature doesn't seem to matter in my case. The flicker happens pretty much all the time. I noticed the flicker is more noticeable outside than it is indoors. I can't seem to record it using my phone unless I am using slo-mo mode (probably has to do with the shutter speed or recording speed).

I contacted support and unfortunately they told me that it "isn't really affecting the performance".

Suggestion was to wait for "a" firmware upgrade...

Based on the October and November firmware update schedule, screen flicker is not addressed.

In the meantime, I will record more incidences and hope they can agree this is more serious.

flickersupport

Tourist

[ New ]
I also have a contact Flickr on the rear screen of hero9. Seems to still work but is annoying after paying for brand new. Tempature does not change anything on mine. Let me know if you get any solutions
Hiker

[ New ]

More videos I recorded of the flicker. https://youtu.be/gCYGuzbZf-I

GoPro

[ New ]

We appreciate the feedback and you sharing the results of your test. We have reported this to the team. We will keep this thread updated once we hear back from them. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

as a quick update, I have sent my HERO9 back to GoPro last week and it is being processed. They have indicated that I will be sent a replacement camera once it has been processed.  I will update again when I hear more.

Tourist

[ New ]

Another update -- nearly a month later, GoPro has sent me a replacement Hero9 camera!  I haven't done much testing this week as I have been busy with other things, but I quickly set up the new camera and so far the display seems to be behaving normally, no flickering like the first one.  I left it on for a while and did notice the camera body getting pretty hot again, so I will have to keep an eye on things and report back if any other issues arise.

Hiker

[ New ]
Try this, shoot in 5k with batter power plugged in for about 20 min straight, that will get the camera hot. Then check the screen and see if you see flicker. If you do, it's same issue as mine which is temp related.
Tourist

[ New ]

Me pasa lo mismo de un tiempo para acá mi la pantalla trasera de mi hero 9 parpadea, no importa si vas a ver fotos o videos, es muy molesto el parpadeo la pantalla delantera no tiene problema, el parpadeo es permanente no importa si esta fría o caliente la cámara, cree un caso en la lincea de soporte el caso  08575760 envié fotos de la cámara y video el tema es que el problema no es en las fotos y en el video es un tema de hardware de la cámara la pantalla es defectuosa y cuando intento grabar un video con mi celular del problema de pantalla de la GoPro por alguna razón mi celular corrige el parpadeo y no lo graba, solo cuando vez con tus ojos el parpadeo lo observas, es el colmo que la mejora cámara de acción del mundo como dice su publicidad tenga un problema en el hardware de la pantalla, espero que corrijan esto pronto o procederé con el proceso de devolución de mi dinero además de la mala publicidad.

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @laporfia. I was able to locate your Support case 08575760 and the ticket is still open. Were you able to successfully send the requested footage? It seems that we only received the photos. Please try resending the video file showing the issue so that our Support Team can review it. 

If you're unable to attach the actual video file to the Attachment Link that was provided to you, you can upload the footage to your Dropbox or Google Drive and submit or attach the shared link.

Tourist

[ New ]

ya subí el link del video para que lo vean desde mi Google drive, pero como te dije cuando lo filmo es casi imperceptible, a diferencia de cuando lo vez en la pantalla de la hero 9, de hecho en esta cadena de mensajes de otros usuarios con el mismo error puedes ver el mismo error que tiene mi cámara cualquiera de esos videos también les va a servir para ver este error en le hardware de la pantalla trasera.

de paso lo vuelvo a dejar el link par que vean el video

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1etlAgj5sc9c3csr74Zs3uaGgjr7p5e70/view?usp=sharing

GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks, @laporfia. The representative currently handling your case will get back to you as soon as they've reviewed the files provided. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

que pasa con mi caso 08575760, subi las fotos y videos que pidieron y no responden por el fallo de hardware de la pantalla traserta al ver los contenidos de la camara, necesito que me reuslvan el caso o que cambien de camara

Tourist

[ New ]

I have encountered the same issue with brand new unit. In my case, I was using the Media Mod and the HDMI out to use as a webcam. After using it for much of the day, when I touched the camera it was extremely hot. After cooling it down, my screen still flickers. 

I have a GoPro subscription so I can replace my unit with "no questions asked" but I agree: this is an important and urgent issue. Needs to be addressed. Appreciate the original post and all the comments so far. 

GoPro

[ New ]

@laporfia, please check your email for any updates from our Support Team. Upon checking your case again, our team has provided an update. Let us know if anything else comes up.

GoPro

[ New ]

@enochliao, please contact our Support Team so we can assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Hiker

[ New ]

Have there been any updates on this issue? I just bought my Hero 9 bundle directly from GoPro. After a day of using it, back screen began flickering. The camera did get pretty hot at one point, but it's been "just warm" most of the time. Powering it off and letting it cool down all the way to room temperature doesn't seem to do much. As soon as it's powered on, the back screen flickers in any mode, even not recording. I'm on latest firmware (updated two days ago, as soon as I got it). It feels like there is permnanent damage from overheating, but it doesn't appear to affect the quality of captured video.

Tourist

[ New ]
Yes, it is a permanent damage, the hero 9 came out with that factory defect, there are many hero 9 owners with that problem, I advise you if you have the guarantee to process a change for a new camera
Hiker

[ New ]

@laporfia But if it's a general problem with Hero 9, then getting a new camera isn't really going to solve it.

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @bogdank74872. When you get a chance, please reach out to GoPro customer support at gopro.com/help/ContactUs so we can assist you further.

Hiker

[ New ]

@aenriquez Sure, I'll reach out. Though it'll probably be a generic replacement solution that doesn't fix the udnerlying issue.

Nomad

[ New ]

Hi all, found the solution and what may be causing it, in my case I always recharge battery with the PC USB connection cable, I know it's the PC because I left the GoPro all day charging and forget that it was there, when I disconnect it the rear screen was flickering.

Solution: most days GoPro I don't use it at all but after a flickering session when past some large time I turn it on and there's no flickering any more. It's not actually a real solution, but points what may be causing it (in my case): PC USB connection

I don't own a battery charger, and won't buy it, so GoPro better look up this, I had two GoPro 9 and never flickered until one day suddenly was overcharged and then comes back very often, I don't have any other method of charging battery.

Is the battery faulty? of course GoPro will not assume that, but If there's anyone who knows about electrician please tell what you think, should we claim for replacement?

Nomad

[ New ]

Actualization: I just over charged battery for a while at full 100% with my Sony photocamera transformer to USB and there's absolutely no flickering any more.

_ISI8319.jpg
Hiker

[ New ]

Mine wasn't being charged through PC USB -- I had a dedicated charger for it from another camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Update: I finally had time to work with technical support. They asked me to send them a video of the screen flickering.

Warning: when taking a video using my iphone camera, it could not capture the screen flickering. Fortunately, I have a DSLR camera and used that to take a video. That was able to capture the screen flicker. So be warned that you have a camera that can actually "see" the flickering and record it.

After uploading the video of the screen flicker, the tech support person walked me through a manual update of the firmware to rule out any software issues. Note: you will need an adapter to use a computer to load the software onto the SD card.

With latest firmware manually uploaded, my GoPro Hero9 Black still have screen flicker. Then we proceeded to process the product replacement.

I specifically asked if this replacement would use up my "no questions asked replacement" allowance for the year, and the person specifically said "no, this replacement is because the camera is still under warranty."

So takeaways from this experience:

- be ready to manually update your camera (using SD card adapter)

- have a way to record the screen flicker to a video to upload to the web (your smart phone's camera may not do the job!)

- take care of this while your camera is still under warranty! :)

Thanks to my GoPro support person, and best wishes if you have screen flickering! God bless.

Hiker

[ New ]
Did they tell you how long it'll take to get a replacement? Do you have to send in the current camera first?
Tourist

[ New ]

@bogdank74872 Great questions! Here are my responses:

how long will it take? 

10-14 days for me to receive my new camera

How to return the old camera?

They will send me a return shipping label with a RMA (return authorization info). I will need to find some suitable box and packaging to send the camera back. But they will pay for the shipping via the label. Basically, I shouldn't have to send in the old camera until I get the new one. I appreciate this as it means I will have use of a camera the entire time. (I use my GoPro Hero9 Black for my daily Zoom meetings and teaching classes.)

Of note is that they said they ask that I return only the camera the itself. I don't need to return the battery or other accessories. So I guess that's kind of a nice bonus. Though, of course, it would have been preferable to not have to deal with the camera flickering and spend an hour on the phone with tech support, as helpful as they were!

Sightseer

[ New ]
Purchased a GoPro about 3 weeks ago, flickering began yesterday. Customer service will not send a replacement until you send back your broken unit. 2 hours of arguing and nothing: they don’t care you’re a pro, they don’t care it’s a business requirement.

Compare to my experience with a faulty 3M product of similar cost: was sent 2 day shipping with a return label to place the faulty unit in the box and send it back. GoPro - a company all about getting the shot - is fine with you not having your camera for weeks.

The hero 9 has a major flaw with screen flickers: and I suspect it was never solved.

I’m pretty unhappy with my entire experience with GoPro at this point. Far from professional level service, and apparently the hero 9 has some flaws causing screen damage/refresh rate issues/flickering.

If you really like the GoPro, and rely on it for time sensitive projects: better buy two, because GoPro has zero concerns with your timelines, and apparently 14-21 days is acceptable for a warrenty replacement for what seems to be a common, known issue.

So disappointing. I had such high hopes.
Hiker

[ New ]

I submitted a ticket back in september when I had the issue and they first told me it was not a big deal and to wait.

I submitted another ticket last month referring to the old ticket and they agreed to RMA and inspect.

Of course, I had to ship first on a pre-paid postage.

But got my new camera within 3-5 days. Luckily I dont have to worry about a few days without camera but it still sucks.

Just happy to get the new camera and hopefully I dont run into the issue with this new camera.

Tourist

[ New ]

Bought my camera back in March and after recording for around 4 hours at 1080p and 30fps the back LCD began to flicker like crazy. I was told to replicate this, but this time remove the battery, lower the fps, leave the hatch door open, etc. After 2 hours, the flicker was just as apparent. I'm not happy with this at all considering the age of this issue. GoPro, you need to fix the issue and honor the replacements even outside of the warranties. There is something obviously wrong with the tech.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @nicks04677

Please reach out to Support to have your camera checked further.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Please let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej

Sightseer

[ New ]
I have the exact same problem, and would appreciate support.