Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 red light of death?

[ New ]

gopro was working fine today when playing around with it, shut it off and put it in case and now wont even turn on. just a solid red light weather it is plugged in via usb or with a battery in. no matter how many times i try to hard rest it by holding the mode button down for 10 seconds the camera refuses to power up. i have tried numerous different micro sd cards and the two different batteries that i have. any ideas? no very happy with it being a paperweight after two days of owning it...

GoPro

Re: Hero 9 red light of death?

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about that, @jensen8333. If you contact our Support team, they will be able to troubleshoot the issue further. 

To connect with them, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Once there, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. 

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Thank you, just was seeing if anyone else has had this issue and would have any insight to fix it. This is severely disappointing from such a prominent launch and not very promising as this is my first GoPro. I hope that a swift solution or replacement can be made as this is extremely unacceptable.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I just recieved my Hero 9 today and am having the same issue.

The camera will not power on.  I try hard reset and nothing.

Please advise..   

Sightseer

[ New ]

I had the same problem.  I held down the power button and the mode button and it reset and came back on.

Good luck with your GoPro.

Nomad

[ New ]

Remove the battery for a few seconds

then press the Mode button for about 10 seconds

should bring it back to life.

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'm having the same problem.  BRAND NEW camera, my girlfriend bought from GoPro.com.  Right out of the box and doing the initial charge.  Red light which is supposed to go off when the battery is fully charged never turns off even after 24 hours.  Reached out to support and they were embarrassingly bad.  I don't think two support persons even knew there was a Hero 9 . The other support person just gave me the run around and told me that the "no questions asked" subscription return policy isn't really "no questions asked" because they don't cover everything.  It would be atrocious if INITIAL battery charging on a new camera isn't covered.  Really feels like I am going to have to fight Gopro on every step of getting this resolved because of their DEFECTIVE product.  Super frustrated.  

Nomad

[ New ]

Just reset the camera

Tourist

[ New ]

Sightseer

[ New ]
This works! Simple solution. Took the battery out, repowered it back up normally and now it's working again, thank you.
Sightseer

[ New ]
This is the quick fix
Developers need to get up from their butts and fix this... but in the mean time... this is the reset
Sightseer

[ New ]

Taking the battery out and putting back in solved it for me. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Whew! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! I just got that red light of death. Followed your suggestion and, vilola! The camera reset and is back in effect!

@ltimco wrote:

I had the same problem.  I held down the power button and the mode button and it reset and came back on.

Good luck with your GoPro.