Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 randomly turning on & How to contact support?

[ New ]

5 days ago I received my Hero9 and some accessories ordered directly from GoPro. One of the accessories bought was the "Camera Sleeve + Lanyard". Less than a minute after getting the lanyard out of the packet and before I'd even put it on the GoPro, the clasp on the lanyard broke. Looking at the break, it's a manufacturing problem/failed moulding. While it sucks, these things happen, but it needs to be replaced.

Since receiving the unit, I've also noticed that if either the wireless connections or "QuickCapture" features are left enabled then the it'll randomly turn itself on. FWIW, voice commands have always been turned off, and I have the latest firmware. The issue is particularly obvious if QuickCapture is on as it'll do it two or three times every couple of hours making either the feature or camera useless (as the battery will be dead when I come to use it). It's clearly a firmware issue as while the camera turns on, it doesn't start recording - ie. it's not like the capture button is being pressed. Having searched for the issue to see if I was doing something wrong, it's also pretty disappointing to see that previous versions have the same issue. I guess the devs are more interested in shiny new features than bug fixes...?

While the random power-ups seem to be a long standing bug linked to various features, I've been trying to contact support multiple times every day since I received everything about getting a replacement strap using the contact form (https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs). I either get the error "Sorry, all agents are helping other customers right now. Please try again later." if I try to start a chat, or "Invalid Captcha. Please retry." if I request a call (no captcha appears). Occasionally I do get the chat pop-up appear, but it's always a blank window. I've tried multiple browsers and I'm now pretty fed up with the whole situation and a little concerned that this might just be the norm - I'm hoping this post will get the attention of someone at GoPro that can help though. I appreciate that the current COVID situation means that support is running with limited staff, but that shouldn't mean I'm left hanging without any call or email acknowledgment of my request for support.

That all said, I got some great footage that I'm really pleased with this weekend, so I guess it's not all bad.

GoPro

Re: Hero 9 randomly turning on & How to contact support?

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @bluesign2k. The issues you observed could be related to possible errors with the current installation. To clear these, we recommend doing a manual update and factory reset. If the camera has not been manually updated, perform the steps under Manual Update here. After the update, do a factory reset

Our Support team will be able to help you with the damaged lanyard. When you contact them again, make sure that you do so within the hours of operation specified in the contact page. If you get an error, try using a different device (computer or mobile phone). Clear cache on your browser, use a different browser or an incognito browser.

If you choose to request a callback, you will be given a case number. If you do not receive a call in a few minutes' time, please provide us the case number so we can use it to follow up with Support. Thanks! 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya,

Thaks for the quick reply. 

While I'm a little surprised that a manual firmaware update and factory reset is being suggested as an attempted fix for a brand new (in every sense) piece of £400+ tech that automatically did it's own firmware update before anything else, I'll give it a go anyway.

I think you misunderstand - I cannot "contact them again" as I haven't actually managed to make contact in the first place.

Since you're message (ie. still within business hours), I've tried the form on 2 computers and a phone with Windows, Android and even a clean Linux install in virtualbox. Using Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge makes no difference, nor does using incognito, guest sessions, or clearing cache and cookies. The only exception is that IE seems to be able to generate a chat pop-up window consistently, but it's always just a blank window. Clicking the button to request a callback shows a loading icon at the top of the form for a couple of seconds then shows "Invalid Captcha. Please retry." but no captcha form is shown. I've even tried tethering to my phone for internet incase it's my ISP blocking it for some reason, but it still makes no difference. If I could generate a case number I'd give it to you.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya,

Jst to update - I did the firmware update after you said, and it seemed to fix the probem for a while. But then I used QuikCapture once at it seemed to trigger the random turn on issue if I left Wifi on too. I could fix it by doing another factory reset but I have to leave QuikConnect disabled, if I do this I can leave WiFi on without issue. I've just updated to 1.22 and I'll see how that goes, but I'm not hopeful.

As for my original issue of not being able to contact support - that is also still a problem, and one that's becoming increasingly frustrating now. The contact from is fundamentally broken and there deosnt seem to be any other way to get in touch. Is there a support email address?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bluesign2k

You can reach out to Support by logging a call back request or initiating a chat session.

Email support has been discontinued

Should you encounter any issue scheduling a callback or a live chat, please ensure that you are not blocking cookies and have your pop-up blocker disabled.

Thanks!

Ej.

Tourist

[ New ]
Hi @aragon1006,

Thanks for the reply, however, the situation hasn't changed from my previous messages. I'm yet to find a computer/phone/tablet running any operating system or browser to get your contact form to work.
If I try to start a chat session, I either get an error to try again later, or a new popup window appears, but it is always just a blank white page.
If I click the button for a call back I'm just prompted with an error about an invalid captcha, but no captcha is ever shown.

I've even got to the extent of doing fresh OS installs and asking friends and colleagues at work to try the page for me on their devices and they get the same results as me. While I'm happy to admit there might still be some other problem at my end, the overwhelming evidence is that that is not the case.

Since I keep seeing references to being able to help if people can provide support case numbers, can't you find a way to open a case for me? Or I can send you a contact number to get someone to give me a callback?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @bluesign2k

We have sent a direct message.

Thanks!