Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 max lens durability

[ New ]
So after 2 months of constantly refreshing the page I finally got my hands on a max lens mod. After one hour of use I barely tapped the lens on some concrete and put a gnarly gouge in it. Pretty disappointed at the durability of the lens cover. I see 4 screws on the backside and I can tell that the glass that is scratched is separate from the fisheye glass part so I should be able to replace it. Is there a place I can buy the glass cover for the lens so I can replace it for cheaper then $100. Also does the max camera lens protector fit over the lens mod? If so this is perfect but if not please make a cover that fits over the lens mod so I don’t scratch it so fast! Also I’m about to post my review in the morning on my YouTube and Instagram so this isn’t going to go well for you guys sorry. One of my videos has over 60k views so there’s going to be a lot of people who aren't going to buy this product that otherwise would have...
image.jpg
Nomad

Re: Hero 9 max lens durability

[ New ]

Just so I understand you correctly, you drop the lens so that it splinters and then complain about it ?! Sorry but you don't have them all ...

Tourist

[ New ]
I didn’t drop it lol😂 I’m an fpv pilot and I fly drones that go 100+ mph🤘 I was making a review foe it and when I landed my quad just turned forward like it normally does but it tapped the lens on the concrete. It didn’t splinter it just nicked a little chip out of it but it’s super noticeable on video. I’m asking if they have some sort of warranty for subscribers or if they plan on making a protective cover for it. Also if they will sell replacement glass for the front bit because if they don’t then the hero 9 all in itself is useless for fpv drones. The hero 5 session is king when it comes to fpv drones and it would be nice if they would consider going back and making a design like it again. Do you know if the max camera (that came out last year ) if the lens cover for it can fit over the max lens mod?
Nomad

[ New ]

Well said @oliverz513   I want to see the 60K of viewers who see his review and realize that he smashed his lens into concrete on a 100mph drone and wonders why the glass is scratched....  Sorry..... gently brushed his glass lens againts an ultra soft cotten wool like texture .... of concrete...

Nomad

[ New ]

Did I understand that correctly:
You attached the Hero 9 to a drone with MaxLens-Mod and on landing the drone tilted and the lens "kissed" the concrete and now it has splintered.
Hm - and you want to have a protective glass for the lens now?
I imagine difficult because it doesn't have to be flat but curved.
With 2k7 there is also "SuperView", isn't that enough? Or is it about the horizontal alignment with MaxLensMode (which works really well)?

Tourist

[ New ]
Ok so the lens is nice, works well but if I where to do something I think you should design either a stick on curved glass cover for the lens so it is protected or which I might try to designs a tpu snap on adapter for the lens that holds a piece of glass or Nd filter in front of the lens. It’s going to be hard to do because the lens is so wide but with gopros design money they could definitely get it done. I’ll attempt at it though. Also you guys may have already thought of this snd that is what the glass I scratched is. It looks like the lens can be taken apart and separate the protector from it. Will you guys release these parts of the lens that is in them? It’s hard to explain through text. If you do not plan on selling these then it would be nice to get in contact with the manufacturer you use so I can get my hands on these glass covers.
Tourist

[ New ]
Message me on Instagram so I can show you the clip. It was a slight tap onto concrete. Very light tap. And I didn’t say 60k people will see this review I just said a lot of people will. No reason to throw words in my mouth. I said one of my videos has over 60k views so maybe you just got confused🥴 my Instagram is brandan_fpv
Nomad

[ New ]

I can understand that with the lens - I have a 360 degree camera that I put on the floor and that just fell over - so unhappy on a sharp stone that a tiny piece broke out in the middle of one of the lenses ... bad luck, or my own stupidity, I should have left the camera in the protective housing ...