Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 karma grip

[ New ]

Hi, is the Hero 9 compatible with the Karma grip?

Thanks, Nadia

Nomad

Re: Hero 9 karma grip

[ New ]

No, the GoPro Hero 9 is a much larger camera and will not fit in the grip.  It's unlikely they will release any updates for the karma to be compatible with the Hero 9 since the grip is discontinued.

Tourist

[ New ]

This is so important to know - thank you for answering! I love my little grip, wish they would build one for the latest one. So are users using the new 'selfie stick' then the internal stabilization compensates?

Thanks, Nadia

Tourist

[ New ]

this is almost as bad as the remote not working!!!!! why wouldnt you sell an adapter to make it work?

Smiley Sad

:facepalm:

Nomad

[ New ]

Well the answer is pretty much math based.

The GoPro Gimbal cost 2 - 3 times the amount that the competition did and it didn't sell as expected.  As a result production was stopped on the product quite some time ago.

So for GoPro to create an adapter then would have to invest in design costs, source a manufacturer, source raw materials, source production staff, packaging, distribution all for an adapater to fit a low number of model gimbals that sold.

That means that the cost of producing an adapter would far exceed any profit made from selling an adapter.  Considering that the competition is already releasing and in some cases updating their own current (new models) to be compatible with the GoPro Hero 9, that would affect sales even more.  That's even assuming that the GoPro Karma Grip Gimbal motors have enough torque to support a much heavier camera let alone the weight of an additional Max Lens that people would want to also use with it.

Simply put, It makes no sense to spend $30 designing and building an adapter that would have to sell at over $70 (ea and in volume) to reap any profit when the competition is selling an entire gimbal for $99

Tourist

[ New ]
I agree with the idea but the truth is they have engineers, they have manufacturing facilities, they have a simple plastic bag style “universal” package that would work, it would take a little effort but most of what they need is already available. yeah, they would have to cut some tools and invest maybe 2 engineers for a few days (I could probably design this in a week, so I wouldn’t expect it to take more then two days for someone familiar with the product). The tooling cost is probably less than 20k in China, even if it broke even as a $25 part it would be beneficial because it was a form of customer retention. The reason most of us buy GoPro and not DJI or some chines copy is because in the beginning it wasn’t about making the most profit it was about supporting a community when my hero (1st gen) broke or had a problem I would call support and get a guy like me on the other end of the phone from the office in San Mateo, and he would ask me how I like the camera and what I use it for, then ask how they could improve it what features I wanted to see added. I buy GoPro and bought a bunch of stock because I believed in their mission. If this was GoPro 8 years ago there would be an adapter even if there gimble was discontinued and there would be a quick fix to get the remote working with some bugs that still needed sorting out. It has definitely changed and I blame the stock market for forcing the hand of a smaller company to function like a much larger much more heartless company to benefit their bottom line profit. I still stand by them because I know Nick Woodman is a dedicated entrepreneur and a good guy, he will put himself in the customers shoes and build what we want. If enough people voice that it would be useful to them he will make it.