Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 issues vs Hero 8

[ New ]

As a Hero 8 owner the Hero 9 seems to need work.  

Latest version updated as of 9/19/20.  After the update a factory reset was performed to clear it out.  Hero 9 has issues. These issues are not on my Hero 8 and makes me want to return the Hero 9 and maybe try it again in 6 months.

1. Hero 9 Touch screen lags or does not respond

2. Downgrade from Hero 8.  On hero 9 using 2.7k 60fps, Indoor performance performance has lots of smears from hypersmooth especially with horizon leveling on.  Looks like Hero 7 or 6 indoors (both returned after purchase).

3. Stuttery indoor video when panning.

4.Hero 8 has a night mode that can be turned on or off.  I appreciated it off on 8 as the video frames did not drop and stutter.  Where is this option for Hero 9?  

Hiker

Re: Hero 9 issues vs Hero 8

[ New ]

Another issue.  Sometime battery needs to be removed because screen locks up.

Nomad

[ New ]

Audio pops and clicks, 

Latest version the Audio adapter does not work..

Hiker

[ New ]

Another issue. Camera was off for hours, would not turn on when power button is pressed.  Tried many times.  Had to remove battery for it to work.  Battery charge was 73%.

Nomad

[ New ]

The GP9 has to many issues to use for me. I have gone back to the H7 I was using on my run and gun rig, Hero 9 is sitting on the desk waiting for firmware that makes it usable.

Hiker

[ New ]
if the GoPro is auto-save in the cloud, the preview and the video feedback on Gopro App does not work ...

And red led not turn off when the battery is full charged...
Hiker

[ New ]

So freezing problem is still there.

Hiker

[ New ]

At least the HERO 9 BLACK has a removable lens

Hiker

[ New ]

Took the camera to Universal Studios for some halloween events.  The cameras touch screen many times became laggy.

While inside one of the attraction that was just above candle light brightness the rear display and front showed lots of red colored noise.  Especially on the black areas.  The iso was first at 1600 max then dropped down. It minimally changed the red noise flashing on the display.  I thought the photos would refect but surprisingly did not.  Disapointed though the photo ratio is a 4:3 square and not 16:9....while set to linear.

Tourist

[ New ]

Just purchased it today.  The first thing out of the box was the firmware update.  Managed to get several test videos done, but have experienced the same issues with a slightly lagging screen and a device that seems to continually lock up forcing a complete removal of the battery.  By all accounts, this year's offering is just days out of the barn and I am seriously hoping that GP will be working on these small bugs for the next FW update.  The functionality of the 9 is great, but these issues are causing some "uh oh" moments.  We already have accessories in the purchasing pipeline so I think we'll hang in there and see if these are resolved. 

Tourist

[ New ]
Much appreciate the info! I suffered with the Hero 3 and due to all the issues I had with it, used other brand action cams until Hero 8. With the 8, I've lost footage due to overheating (cam shuts off) or more recently, it appears to be recording, but loses much of the footage anyway. I lost some valuable footage today. I was hoping Hero 9 would be more reliable. I'll wait to hear if GP fixes the issues with the 9, but my experience is they fix some problems with FW, but not all and may even create new problems.
Tourist

[ New ]

Sorry to hear you had these issues.  This is actually our first GP product and we are hoping for the best.

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having issues with my Hero 9 as well. I suspect it needs more firmware updates to be on par with the Hero 8. Touch screen performance is BAD and extremely unresponsive.

2.7k/60 with hypersmooth boost mode looks like hot garbage compared to the Hero 8 as far as image quality during fast motion shooting. Splotchy, smeared, stuttery and pixeleated during fast motion dirtbike videos. Like some parts of the frame are 480p, while other parts are 2.7k. With camera mounted to my helmet, when I turn my head, it stutters, jumps and looks like 20fps when set to 30, or 40fps when set to 60. Not smooth at all. Quality is fine when the camera is static or movement is slow, but a soon as faster motion is induced, it looks terrible and unuseable, like the bit rate and frame rates take an instant 50% cut. 

Today I'll be testing the non boost mode Hyper Smooth at 2.7k and 4k, high bit rate on the dirtbike. Hopefully that works out better than boost mode, if thats even what the issue is. Yesterdays experience with 2.7k/60/boost mode and 5k/30 non boost was extremely frustarting. I think the Boost mode needs serious work to be useable at anything other than using with a selfie stick or handle at walking speeds. It's not ready for moto vlogging or high speed action. 

No issues with audio quality using the media mod and external Rode mic.

Tourist

[ New ]

Congratulations on scoring the Media Mod.  Apparently they are "out of stock" world-wide.  Has to pre-order through B&H.  Timeline, unknown.  That's a bit frustrating.

Tourist

[ New ]
Yeah, I saw some replies to some of my YouTube videos about that. I think the only reason I managed to get one is because I ordered it about 30 seconds after it went live on the website at 7:00 a.m. on the 16th
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same here, hypersmooth 3 is unusable and full of vibrations in all settings

Nomad

[ New ]

Moved from hero 7 black to hero 9

Laging screen

Voice commands not as expected.

GOPRO start recording - Most of time just switches on camera from standy, should do on and record.

Hiker

[ New ]

Regret buying the H8 and glad i didn´t buy the H9.

I should thank GoPro for not giving the extra year to current subscribers because that´s what pissed me off and made me skip on buying the H9. So I will cancel my GoPro subscription and instead of the H9 I´m getting the Insta360 One R.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, Everyone. Thank you for sharing your observations with the new camera. Sorry to hear that you are having issues. We will pass this feedback to the Product Team and we will definitely keep you posted once we have new information. 

A ticket has already been created for the screen lag issue. 

We would always like to isolate the possible cause of quality issues. If you are observing any, please try a manual firmware update and make sure that the camera is using a recommended SD card. If you'd continue to observe the quality issue, it would be best to get in touch with Support and submit a sample clip. It would greatly help with replication if sample files are available. 

@robindean. We just tested the voice commands and they were working (US English). There is only "Start recording" on the commands list to initiate the recording while the camera is on. By standby, did you mean the camera was turned off? 

@jt5680. The Auto Low Light setting has been removed. When you do you observe the stutter/dropped frames when using the HERO9 Black? Are they associated with particular settings? 

Nomad

[ New ]

When camera is in standby (ie previously acitive) then turned off into standy, for less than a hour.

Saying GOPRO start recording it only turns camera on

It does not turn on and record.

Thats how my hero 7 works 

Unless this is changed ?

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya Here is a sample clip, showing bad quality. Please read video description for more details. Also, can you please post a link to where and how to contact support and submit this clip there? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ww0C4_PyDM&ab_channel=Zeus33rd

I'm of the opinion that the Hero 9 Black and HyperSmooth 3.0 boost mode is not on par with the Hero 8 Black's HyperSmooth 2.0 for high action, bumpy, high sp...
Hiker

[ New ]

mariustanya From my tests the linear horizon leveling has the most stutter and dropping frames.  When that is off using standard linear the hypersmooth high mode looks worse then the on standard setting.  I have not tried boost.

The Problem is less of a issues out in bright sunlight but can still be there.   

Indoor lighting makes all the above much worse.  Horizon leveling is not ready for indoor light. 

Sightseer

[ New ]

Could not turn my GoPro 9 on anymore. Battery was full. Only after removing the battery I was able to start the camera. 
 No access to media on device via app. That's all very annoying. Cannot recommend GoPro

Tourist

[ New ]

My 9 runs really hot. I just updated firmware and it hot to the touch while uploading to cloud. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Yeah folks, after a couple of days...we're out.  The GP9 is going back.  Thought we would hang in there but way too many issues to deal with at this point and no time to wait.  Normally shoot on A7III's and A7RIII's and have even incorporated OSMO Pocket when the situation called for it.  Was really looking for something small and easy to just throw in a bag and go and for general amusement.  Even noting some of the limitations of the OSMO Action, I think we're headed in that direction.  The screen lag, constant locking up, etc. is simply not worth the hassle.  Perhaps GoPro will perfect this version with FW updates in the future.  At this time we're on not sold, particularly given the price tag.  GoPro, we tried to be fans - sorry, but good luck.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Ya, returning mine also.  Sensor issue is my guess. Plus gps still won't load in quick.

https://youtu.be/2SBnwqWmAlE

Tourist

[ New ]

Adding to this thread... Yeah Hypersmooth 3.0 is absolute trash on the 9. Very stuttery and jumpy. Had no problems with the same chest mount setup on the 8 that I unforitonately sold prior to the 9's delivery. Now I'm up a creek without a paddle until what I assume is a firmware issue is resolved. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Also adding.. goro9 going back by Oct 2 if they don’t fix all this mess soon and release an update. Thank god Best Buy has a return policy for crap like this.
Hiker

[ New ]

Hi! Someone figured out why the screen laggy.I also tested by myself and get the same result.

Please feel free to check it. Hope it can be fix on next firmware Smiley Sad

Mounted and Unmounted differencesof the GoPro Hero 9 touch screen.
Hiker

[ New ]
here are my issues im finding, look at how soft / out of focus the 5k is compared to the 4k. the 4k isnt even good though. Hero 8 was much better.

https://liverollins-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/agarabaghi_rollins_edu/ESN9K2v6qDtOoHXAZXCzZ2sB...

https://liverollins-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/agarabaghi_rollins_edu/EcJcTz6_AitHuQlpJCEiExoB...
Nomad

[ New ]

Checkout this awesome 4K screen grab!! We need a firmware update ASAP. 9DC7AB7A-6344-4158-8AFC-B14E4EEE5DEE.jpeg

Hiker

[ New ]

Audio issue.  Using the cameras internal mic.  On one video for about 20 seconds or so the audio sounded like another mic was hooked up.  It was much more clear sounding.

Definintly alot of random issues with this camera.  It is not dependable and should not be used for important events.  I am Using a mount that can hold another action camera to record both at once incase the 9s video is poor.

Hiker

[ New ]

New Issue today. While recording pressed the record button to stop.  Front Screen froze with viewed screen.  and rear screen froze but only showed record and numbers rest was black. Battery had to be removed.  

Tourist

[ New ]

I don't know if my particular issue belongs in this thread or not, but with the Hero9 I've encountered a rather frustrating problem with WiFi / Hotspot connectivity.  I'm encountering this with two different Android phones: Moto G Power (2020) and a Google Pixel 3a XL, but the same GoPro App version 7.0.1 and the same Hero9.

Reported about a week or so ago in this thread:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-App-is-Unable-to-Find-WiFi-Nor-Hotspot-Connections-for/...

Here is an excerpt from my original message (more details in that thread):

Quick Problem Description:

* The GoPro application is unable to see WiFi connections nor Hotspot connections the vast majority of the time.

Specifics:

* Starting from where you select the camera you want to use.
* Select "Control Your GoPro" - that step will usually work and connect to the camera.
* Swipe over to "Live" and then select "Enable Preview" - that step will usually work.
* Next select "Set Up Live" and either choose "Twitch" or "Other/RTMP" (the same problem that happens next occurs with either of those two choices)
* if I enable Hotspot, then select "Select a WiFi Network", the app will either continuously scan or present me with an empty list of Hotspots. That pattern occurs over and over and over etc.
* Or if I attempt to instead use the camera over Home WiFi, the app will either continuously scan or present me with an empty list of WiFi access points. That pattern occurs over and over and over etc.
* On the very rare occasion, the app will find the Hotspot or WiFi access point to connect to."

Tourist

[ New ]

I was so happy with Hero 8 Black, I can't say that about Hero 6 and 7... Now with Hero9... I'm pissed off like never before.

Just look at this !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vyTKA58314

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Tourist

[ New ]

You think that's bad, look at adding a Custom 4K or 5K video setting. It's unbelievably unstable:

https://youtu.be/K5alYNJ_I6M

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Nomad

[ New ]

It blows me away why a company would destroy its self like GoPro is trying so hard to do. Why release absolute crap like this.. Somone like me, who has every Hero camera made, and some of them 2 or 3, you want me to look elsewhere for a better solution..  Absolutly crazy.. You need to get a better CEO.. Or get bought out by Sony or DJI..

Take a look at DJI, and the quality of their first camera.. Look and learn.. they will be your superiors shortly..

Nomad

[ New ]

However DJI camera cant do a lot the gopro does.

Nomad

[ New ]

haha, you getting mixed up with what it should be able to do and what it can do.. The GoPro may have a lot of features on the box, but most just dont work. Like Audio. all Audio is unusable, unless you like random pops and clisks, and the other half, video, quality is not any better than a cheap chinese knock off..

Mine is in the draw and the Hero 6 and 7 are performing better.. (Not the 6 on hyper smooth, this was always rubbish on the 6)

Nomad

[ New ]

Though I have been only using 9 for a week.

Not expereincing any issues with mine.

Hiker

[ New ]

Per fortuna non ho ancora venduto la Hero8

La mia Hero9 presenta i seguenti problemi :

- suono gracchiante, a volte registra l'audio senza problemi a volte va bene

- per accendere la gopro a volte basta una singola pressione del tasto, altre volte occorre tenerlo premuto

- qualche volta dopo averla spenta resta acceso il led rosso frontale e bisogna togliere la batteria

- con ISO MAX impostato a 400 ci sono hot/stuck pixel ovunque

Non ditemi di fare l'aggiornamento manuale o il ripristino che ho gia provato di tutto, semplicemente :

- i programmatori gopro fanno pena.

- i betatester gopro fanno pena

- chi fa le recensioni sponsorizzate fa finta di nulla raccontando che va tutto bene

Sono nuovamente, come ogni anno, deluso da GoPro

Nomad

[ New ]

- Sometimes a single push of a button is enough to switch on the Gopro, sometimes it has to be held down

- Sometimes the red LED stays on after switching off and the battery needs to be removed

Unfortunately, this is also the case with the hero 8 ...
Sometimes the battery has to be removed so that the camera can be switched on ... (also with the Hero 8).

Usually it helps if you wait 10 seconds after inserting the SD card or the battery and only then switch the camera on, or if you have switched the camera on or off, you also wait 10 seconds before switching the camera off again. / or switches on. But rarely, this does not work either ... (both with the Hero 8 and with the Hero 9 with the latest firmware).

Adventurer

[ New ]

Keep this thread going with issues and it should capture their attention:

WOW no words like to see this a stickie gopro.  make it so.

Hiker

[ New ]

My first Hero 9 had laggy screen and audio problems, pops and cracles on left channel.

I didn't have time to notice any other bugs as I returned it.

My second Hero 9 has same audio problem, video has yellow tint and there are red and blue dead spots on sensor.

It also drained battery once, screen is laggy and image quality isn't great. I will return it on next Monday.

My third Hero 9 will stay in store.

Hiker

[ New ]

Crashes and becomes unresponsive when recording. When rebooted (remove battery, reinstall battery), it creates 1 second corrupt file. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Qualche novità riguardante il problema del microfono che gracchia? 

Hiker

[ New ]

Ho notato una cosa, questo spiacevole difetto si presenta quando si preme registrazione immediatamente dopo l'accensione della hero 9. Se attendo 1 minuto invece viene ridotto quasi completamente e poi per le successive registrazioni non si presenta più. È come se una volta avviata il processore non riuscisse a gestire la registrazione audio perché sta compiendo qualche operazione in background.... Penso che se fosse un problema hw dovrebbe essere un difetto permanente. Attendo un feedback da parte di gopro 

Tourist

[ New ]

I have been using my 9 for about 2 weeks now. On my last outing, I went to press record while the camera was OFF to start a quick record and nothing happened. No beeps. Nothing. I pressed power and the same thing. Nothing. I pulled the battery out and put it back in. The camera then turned on, showing 97% battery life. 

Anyone else having issues with the thing turning on/off? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mikes2057

Please try re-flashing the software. Please follow the manual update steps on https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Once done, reset the camera. Go to Preferences> Reset> Factory Reset

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
Well for one, it appears you’re using an ND filter which doesn’t work very well on Boost Hypersmooth. You’re gonna have to go without the ND filter if you’re using it for really shaking videos. Two, you need to point that camera up cause ain’t nobody wanna watch just your bike and knees.