Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 9 issues vs Hero 8

Took the camera to Universal Studios for some halloween events.  The cameras touch screen many times became laggy.

While inside one of the attraction that was just above candle light brightness the rear display and front showed lots of red colored noise.  Especially on the black areas.  The iso was first at 1600 max then dropped down. It minimally changed the red noise flashing on the display.  I thought the photos would refect but surprisingly did not.  Disapointed though the photo ratio is a 4:3 square and not 16:9....while set to linear.

Highlighted
Tourist

Just purchased it today.  The first thing out of the box was the firmware update.  Managed to get several test videos done, but have experienced the same issues with a slightly lagging screen and a device that seems to continually lock up forcing a complete removal of the battery.  By all accounts, this year's offering is just days out of the barn and I am seriously hoping that GP will be working on these small bugs for the next FW update.  The functionality of the 9 is great, but these issues are causing some "uh oh" moments.  We already have accessories in the purchasing pipeline so I think we'll hang in there and see if these are resolved. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Much appreciate the info! I suffered with the Hero 3 and due to all the issues I had with it, used other brand action cams until Hero 8. With the 8, I've lost footage due to overheating (cam shuts off) or more recently, it appears to be recording, but loses much of the footage anyway. I lost some valuable footage today. I was hoping Hero 9 would be more reliable. I'll wait to hear if GP fixes the issues with the 9, but my experience is they fix some problems with FW, but not all and may even create new problems.
Highlighted
Tourist

Sorry to hear you had these issues.  This is actually our first GP product and we are hoping for the best.

Highlighted
Tourist

I'm having issues with my Hero 9 as well. I suspect it needs more firmware updates to be on par with the Hero 8. Touch screen performance is BAD and extremely unresponsive.

2.7k/60 with hypersmooth boost mode looks like hot garbage compared to the Hero 8 as far as image quality during fast motion shooting. Splotchy, smeared, stuttery and pixeleated during fast motion dirtbike videos. Like some parts of the frame are 480p, while other parts are 2.7k. With camera mounted to my helmet, when I turn my head, it stutters, jumps and looks like 20fps when set to 30, or 40fps when set to 60. Not smooth at all. Quality is fine when the camera is static or movement is slow, but a soon as faster motion is induced, it looks terrible and unuseable, like the bit rate and frame rates take an instant 50% cut. 

Today I'll be testing the non boost mode Hyper Smooth at 2.7k and 4k, high bit rate on the dirtbike. Hopefully that works out better than boost mode, if thats even what the issue is. Yesterdays experience with 2.7k/60/boost mode and 5k/30 non boost was extremely frustarting. I think the Boost mode needs serious work to be useable at anything other than using with a selfie stick or handle at walking speeds. It's not ready for moto vlogging or high speed action. 

No issues with audio quality using the media mod and external Rode mic.

Highlighted
Tourist

Congratulations on scoring the Media Mod.  Apparently they are "out of stock" world-wide.  Has to pre-order through B&H.  Timeline, unknown.  That's a bit frustrating.

Highlighted
Tourist

Yeah, I saw some replies to some of my YouTube videos about that. I think the only reason I managed to get one is because I ordered it about 30 seconds after it went live on the website at 7:00 a.m. on the 16th
Highlighted
Sightseer

Same here, hypersmooth 3 is unusable and full of vibrations in all settings