Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 9 firmware 1.5 - when?

[ New ]

Any news about firmware update release date?

I have 9 days left to return my Hero 9.

Any chance the update will be released before that?

Sightseer

Re: Hero 9 firmware 1.5 - when?

[ New ]

1.22 was out on October 20 https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black 

Tourist

[ New ]

Would be nice if the next firmware added H.264 to 24/30fps options in 1080p.

Nomad

[ New ]
Would be even nicer if it just fixed the huge amount of issues first.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, Everyone. We do not have a specific date at this time but you may watch out for updates through https://gopro.com/en/au/news/hero9-black-launch-updates .

Nomad

[ New ]

Indeed, I note Nov no longer prefixes v1.5 on the update information page so I guess it will no longer be this month :(

Hiker

[ New ]

@im35461 the update linked above states that the update has slipped to December now.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yes, when I spoke to the GoPro staff originally, the Nov V1.5 firmware update was rather simple.  However some large issues were then brought to light (GPS) and this increased their workload.  Now with the Max Lens Mod, a lot of owners want to live stream with that much larger FOV and this is yet another firmware improvement that they have had to add on.  I think GoPro really do want to make this a major firmware update as they don't want a whole bunch of owners coming back to them after Christmas with a ton of complaints.  The staff are really throwing themselves at this trying to solve issues and get everything working and fingers crossed, they pull it off.

in the meantime, I guess us early adopters will just have to wait on those fixes.  Not ideal but hopefully worth the wait.  

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya There was information on the other thread that audio pops is a hardware issue. I have two Hero 9s at the moment and both have the same problem. Should I return them while I still can or is problem fixable with firmware update? Please, let me know.

Hiker

[ New ]

next firmware update is now due December- been pushed backfrom November.

So anyone hoping to have resolution during the 30 day period- get on to gopro and start the refund process!

Nomad

[ New ]

It better fix the show stoppers like the unusable audio etc.. or I can see reverse logistics getting snow under with these pieces of junk..

GoPro suck at updates.. this will be the last one, and they will just move onto the hero 10 and leave the remaining bugs in the 9 forever. Thats how they have rolled for every camera they have put out.

Tourist

[ New ]
I just found this article posted this morning. We might have a release date for the new firmware, 12/17/20....hopefully!
https://www.redsharknews.com/more-gopro-updates-are-on-the-way
Backpacker

[ New ]

@jdaleo Unfortunately that article seems to have a number of mistakes in it (The remote available now to subscribers... it's not.  Date of 12/17 for firmware update, not confirmed by GoPro at all..).  The only official GoPro statement is found on this page:

https://gopro.com/en/us/news/hero9-black-launch-updates

Hopefully GoPro will update that page with anything solid.  

Tourist

[ New ]
Unfortunately, you're right! Lol, I saw the post and got excited. I just got my Hero 9 (upgraded from Hero 4 Black) and have a new mic and adapter that don't work yet! Unfortunately if the firmware update isn't out by the time my return period is up, I'm going to have to return the camera and go with something else. Wish they would just release the update to turn back on the mic adapter, and worry about the improvements in the next update. Fix the broken stuff first, otherwise the product we received isn't as described and is somewhat useless to me.

Hopefully soon!
Nomad

[ New ]

these beating drums will hopefully get "someone" at the source of gopro to --bleep-  (forums -bleeped my n1p) it in the bud with a teaser or timeline......however track records aren't in Gopro's favour - return while you still have a chance - i waited till nov then my 30 days was gone after the FW was delayed to Dec.

you can always buy back in as the FW might be out in June........

Backpacker

[ New ]

@eski79 Meh, I have to agree and disagree in so many ways...   

I can understand how the whole Covid situation messed everyone up and made this release so problematic.  At the same time you're right, I mean, the best purchasing strategy is always to wait for the camera to be on the market for quite sometime to work out the kinks and bugs first.  Early adopters always pay the price and this year it's worse than usual.

Although the referenced article seems to be more guesswork than anything I do think the firmware update will be mid month, makes sense from a beating the drum sales perspective "get it out before Christmas otherwise there will be tons of returns from customers".  They delay may be been from the Max Mod streaming, I can see why that one is so important.

Also, I've heard from a couple of sources now that "The Remote" is coming this December.  Someone claimed they were a sales person and that before the release of the camera they were given a list of accessories to be released with scant details and "the remote" was listed in the training materials.  I take it with a grain of salt as GoPro have been too tight lipped about this BUT.... the delay in Firmware would hint at it coming, if there's also a firmware release for the Max and Hero 8 (which the remote is rumored to support) this would further confirm things.

What I haven't seen is any mention of the "audio cackling/popping" issue.  A number of users have reported this, I've not experienced it myself but have seen video from other people.  Have you experienced this one?

Nomad

[ New ]

yeah my 9 has been popping...... thats after getting it back last week from my mate which was sale or return loan where it just didn't work as required - popping, crashing and overheating in their rally cars internally (Gopro lost a big sale  their Gymkana setup - 6 cams in each car x 3 cars - remote was the final nail - keeping their 7s too)  have to figure out how to get my $ back now - its only 2 months old and like new.

then testing it on a bench in a quiet room have pops and crackles over ambient sounds - even worse is the 54C shell temp..... i can't hold this hot potato and it can't be safe for users let alone the internals

P.S thanks for your efforts @demonviewllc  they don't go un-noticed. 

Backpacker

[ New ]

Interesting.  What settings do you hear the audio issues?  Are you using the camera by itself, media mod, external mic?  I am interested in trying to replicate the issue.  Also what SD card?  

The other question is how are you charging the batteries?  External battery charger or USB cable directly into the cam?  Reason I ask that one is that people have reported odd values on "fully charged batteries".  If there's a discharge rate problem, this could possibly cause audio issues (not entirely likely, but possible).

I've pointed this out before to people but while usually purchasing agreements cover the first 30 days of use, lemon laws cover you for much longer as to warranty clauses and even your credit card company could have 60 - 120 day protection that you may not know about.  So if GoPro don't refund you or replace your unit with a working one, you do have other avenues to explore.  Also most states and countries say that you have the choice to demand the choice between a replacement or a refund.  So do some digging and explore your applicable options.  You can do that while waiting for the firmware update at least.

Hiker

[ New ]

I would look for improved stability first in new firmware, not sure what makes it hard for them to fix the freezing issue. Current firmware improves stability but still my GoPro freeze at times. This is my first GoPro, as much as I am loving Hero9 but all happiness get ruined when screen turns black. I have not seen any other electronic device which is market leader but have such a bad stability issues.

Nomad

[ New ]

watching.....

...... and waiting

Nomad

[ New ]

they want to sell the entiire sausage sizzle experience even though the sausage itself is bad and not suitable for consumption. 

"lets keep adding features regardless of the foundation sinking" - great choice of priorities gopro - will the Hero 9 be an echo of the Karma? Karma indeed......

P.S i'm not doing any extra troubleshooting...... its a camera point and shoot regardless of settings. Manual update using the included SD card, if i can bill them for my time i will

Hiker

[ New ]

@demonviewllc 

there is another thread in here about the popping issue, no need to elaborate in here as well.

you can find whole pletora of comnfigurations and situations when it happens.

some pop after 10minutes of recording, some after they start overheat, mine popped as soon as i hit record constantly.

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-9-audio-pops/td-p/717018/highlight/false/page/34

Hiker

Betreff: Hero 9 firmware 1.5 - when?

[ New ]
I hope they will also return the live preview during recording like it was working in hero 7 and 8. I could live with 1 frame per second or so but no live view at all is not acceptable for the top product of the market leader.
Backpacker

[ New ]

They probably had to stop the liveview while recording due to the Contour lawsuit.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/contour-ip-holding-llc-v-gopro-inc-70318/

Hiker

[ New ]
That would explain it. Because technically this feature should be doable, since hero 7 and 8 can do it and they use same CPU as hero 9 afaik. Let's hope gopro will license that feature and integrate it back.
Backpacker

[ New ]

I suspect this is also why GoPro never had bluetooth audio recording.  Another camera company already has it and while you can't patent the bluetooth technology, you can patent how it's used (just like the contour company patented the livestream control, view, storeage using WifI).  Larger companies have already found out the hard way about patent infringment (apple vs samsung with pinch to zoom, HP vs ..... every printer company in the world with "email the print cartridge supplier when you run out of ink").  In those two cases rather than jump into the court room ASAP, the companies waited a number of years for the practise to become widespread so they could sue for a larger share of the sales for each unit rather than stop the companies from using the tech out the door straight away.  Who knows when this court thing will be settled, after all, with contour shut up shop, this could be a long drawn out affair.....

Nomad

[ New ]

Still waiting for v 1.5 that was promissed november !

Sightseer

[ New ]

I am so disapponted with this situation. How a leader in the market of the actioncam can do such a terrible mistake like take off the 3.5mm audio adapter support from its newest model and keep us waiting weeks for have it back. Unbelievable.

Nomad

[ New ]
Can only hope it is today, but holding out no hope really as GoPro appears to have become completely incompetent.

It is as though they do not care about their future, as most people on this forum will probably never buy their products again after this horrendous experience.
Nomad

[ New ]

They will probably postpone the release of the software to January 2021.

Sightseer

Rif.: Hero 9 firmware 1.5 - when?

[ New ]

Or they are just waiting to sell all the mediamods they still have before release the new firmware. This would not be respectful and honest with their customers and absolutely a disgusting behaviour of a brand like this. What's the point of doing a 1million challenge if they can't give us a product (quite expensive by the way) that do what it supposed to do.

Nomad

[ New ]

The new firmware is now online

Nomad

[ New ]

Where? The page continues with October 1.22

Tourist

[ New ]

Link? Website still shows 1.22.

Nomad

[ New ]

I got all excited for a minute :-( 

Nomad

[ New ]

Sorry my bad; didn't read the page well

Tourist

[ New ]
Same! Has anyone tried booting up their Hero 9 to see if it picked up a new firmware (I don't have mine on me to try)? Perhaps it's just not on the website yet... Or perhaps it was just someone trolling, because I don't see anything anywhere.
Tourist

[ New ]
Ah, you probably did what I did.. saw the information about 1.22, then right below it has information for 1.5 almost in a single paragraph?
Hiker

[ New ]

Now its up!

EDIT!  I take it back, just downloaded and the files are still 16 October :-(

2nd edit - maybe the manual download still needs to be updated...

Tourist

[ New ]

Where are you seeing anything for 1.5? I don't see anything yet.

Nomad

[ New ]

Doing it the manual way which worked. Now to go outside.

Hiker

[ New ]

Here it is

pic.png
Hiker

[ New ]
to u/im35461 I've tried the manual download after seeing your message and the files inside the Zip are still from 16th October.
Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry for spamming but... my GoPro app (which updated yesterday) tells me just that I have a new update for my Hero 9.  I let the app download the update and it's says "V1.22".  My camera is already running V1.22.  You couldn't make it up!  I install it anyway, because I expect the app won't get past offering me the old update.  Anyway after the "V.122" update I'm now running V1.50!! Sheeeesh.

Tourist

[ New ]

What kind of sorcery is going on here? Well, as long as it fixes the major bugs, I could live with that.

Nomad

[ New ]

i downloaded 1.5

installed 1.5

camera is saying version number is 1.22

Backpacker

[ New ]

Yeah I came across the same thing on the update to ver 1.20.

I suspect that GoPro have to tell the app "Update available" before they load up the new firmware files.  As a result your camera tells you that there's an update available, but the firmware available is still the old firmware.

I'd wait an hour or two and then try again.  That worked for me last time, it gave people enough time to upload the new firmware to the server.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thankfully I am definitely running V1.50 now because my external mic works through the 3.5mm audio adapter at last :-)

EDIT - the manual update Zip files are now dated 15th December 2020

Tourist

[ New ]

@rikkytang wrote:

Thankfully I am definitely running V1.50 now because my external mic works through the 3.5mm audio adapter at last :-)

WOAH! That's awesome. No clicking/popping noises?

Nomad

[ New ]

I updated manually and I have 1.22 :-(