Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: Hero 9 battery drain

[ New ]

Hey Kristopher0588 - did you get an answer to this question? My brand new Hero9 arrived with 2 batteries and both have the ame problem. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey jamesf30331

not really. Most people are told to contact support if they are having issues. My battery issues resolved after a few loading circles. I asked if this is normal behaviour for new batteries (like they need to "learn" something) but never got an answer.

It seems these support forums aren't really meant for support Robot Frustrated

Tourist

[ New ]

BROO me too having the same **bleep**.
i charged all my 3 batteries by dual charger and 2 were kept unused for 3 hours later on when checked they only had 70% remaining

Nomad

[ New ]

Your GoPro uses a "smart" battery.  Like all "smart" batteries they need to be calibrated properly.  Charge your battery and discharge it a couple of times and it will eventually balance out and give you a proper reading.  Make sure you are discharging the battery as much as you can, don't keep charging it at 60% or 70%.

Tourist

[ New ]

All my devices with "smart" batteries come pre-smarted from the factories, people expect this to happen.

Also, GoPro could just tell their customers right out of the gate or as the very first reply to issues like these. But they don't. It was brought up by customers right at the start of this thread.

Nomad

[ New ]

It's an awfull pity that people don't come "pre-smarted". 

A smart battery needs to be calibrated through a series of charges and discharges before the load is properly balanced.  Most factories gives a smart battery a simple charge and discharge test and that's it.  They cannot "pre-smart" your battery as they don't know the usage or typical types of draw the battery will be dealing with.  A "pre-smarted" battery...   has another name.  A "used" battery.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hi Team,

Seems as though you are all having the same issue as me having had my GoPro delivered today the battery situation is bizarre! 

My understanding from the thread is that as they are "smart" batteries they need to be "smarted"? Ironic as this doesn't seem so smart! 

Hoping that proves a solution though so will just keep running them down and recharging to 100% and hope for an improvement. Hoping I'm on the right track there, any more advice welcome! 

David

Hiker

[ New ]

Wow I had 2 batteries that were full and overnight while doing nothing they are 100% dead.  This has to be from the last firmware update.  Never had this problem