Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 9 battery drain

[ New ]

Got my 9 last week through GoPro during the holiday special. it came with different accesosries than those pictured and paid for. It instead came with the worthless to me Floating Hand Grip and 2 batteries instead of 1. Worthless too. I charged battery 1 to 100%. Did setup (worthless) , took about 7 minutes of footage (low res, no voice control or other battery eaters), That drained the battery to 84%. Turned GoPro off, it slept overnight inside my house at about 68°F and was dead by morning. I take that to be 0% on the battery. Haven't bothered with battery #2 yet.

Charged battery 1 back up to 100%, downloaded the mystery update and now I can't get it to recognize my phone/or my phone to recognize the GoPro. Turned it off and 4 hours later no charge.

Does the GoPro no questions asked return policy include the dead batteries?  This is my 4th GoPro and all have had crap batteries. I used Wasabi's in previous GoPro's. They at least held a charge. Not for long but held.

So don't know if it a camera problem or battery problem. Yes I am a fool for spending $$$ for this defective product.

Tourist

[ New ]

Ran some "experiments". Charged battery 1 to 100%, unplugged the USB C, made sure the 9 was off and let it sit overnight. Went from 100% to 94% in 6 hours while off. So I decided to just turn on the 9 and watch the battery percentage go down while not filming, just sitting there on my desk. Set my lap timer and I was losing 1% every 1 minute and 17 seconds (average). And the camera is warm. I could be even more nerdy and start logging the temperature!

Today I'll charge up battery 2 and run the same tests. So far the first battery is worthless.

Hiker

[ New ]
Just curious, did You have Voice control turned on? That seems to run mine down..
Nomad

[ New ]

So you turned on your camera....  (btw  when your camera is on, it's still processing Hypersmooth stabilization, color processing, edge enhancement, skin smoothening, GPS, Wireless etc), You had the LCD screen on so your could see the battery information and you're surprised the battery level dropped......    right.

Tourist

[ New ]

Not on. I preselected settings that I knew take battery life.The battery loses an unacceptable amount of power as it is! I was just about to check battery #2 to see if it is as bad as #1. As it is I would have to keep the camera plugged in all the time until I get to where I'd like to film and then monitor that battery life during filming hoping I don't run out in the middle of something exciting.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes but if it is losing life that fast and not even filming...

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm too lazy to read the pages and pages of post.  So ignore if you like:  But have you tried turning off your wireless connections?  When I shut my device down for a period of time, I either pull the battery or turn off WiFi (never have GPS or voice on, or I would turn that off as well).  Seems to hold a charge that way.

Tourist

[ New ]

GPS and WiFi off too. Will be timing loss with bettery stored outside of camera too.