Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 9 battery drain

[ New ]

Greetings,

my brand new Hero 9 (arrived two days ago) is having battery drain when turned off.

WiFi, GPS, voice commands and everything is turned off. The only thing enabled is QuikCapture which should not use any power.

During the first night the battery completely drained. During the second night it lost 5% while sitting on the table powered off.

If this is a software thing, please fix. If it's hardware, please replace. There is no use for a bigger battery when it's losing power THAT quickly without any operation.

Searching for this, the Hero 7 has lots of results popping up about this but there is no valid solution. Taking out the battery when the camera is not used is clearly not the way to go (fiddling it back in every time when you want to use it + wearout on the door).

Tourist

Betreff: Hero 9 battery drain

[ New ]

Here goes your update:

battery still losing % when the camera is fully off. This will add up to a minimum of 5% loss for nothing across an outdoor day, probably even more then I guess.

The camera has now also twice refused to power on. I had to connect it to charge and it would start up, showing the battery is all fine above 80%. It's not really usable outdoors if you need to plug it in every couple startups. It's plain dead and won't respond to any button presses or holds.

Hiker

Betreff: Hero 9 battery drain

[ New ]

Wow, that is very strange. I am on my third day with the battery charged in my Hero 9, without using it, and it still stands at 100% state of charge. I wonder what is causing loss of charge on yours. I think you probably just have a deffective battery.

Hiker

Re: Hero 9 battery drain

[ New ]

Ok day before yesterday I fully charged my hero 9 , didn't touch it at all yesterday, this afternoon I tried to turn it on to film a ride ... nothing... zero ...  I do have quick capture and Voice control enabled, that's it...  any suggestions?

Tourist

[ New ]

Got mine yesterday and charged both batteries. Booted it up 20 hours later and the one in the camera, everything turned off, and it's down to 93. The that wasn't in the camera was down to 95.

Coupled with the UI lag I'm experiencing, I'm not happy.

Hiker

[ New ]

well I guess its getting to be normal that sufficient Real world testing is never done on tech based items and the companies rely heavily on feedback (Complaints) from the user base to get things dialed in,  at My age I should know better than to Purchase tech in the first couple Months or the First Year a New car is released..   

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, i saw this once, and at first i thought i didn't turn it off, because in more than one occasion i couldn't turn the camra off without pulling the battery. I also see that when trying to turn the camera on. I just is dead, but when i remove and then re-insert the battery it turns on, and shows whatever battery percentage.

Hope they fix this in the next firmware update!

Tourist

[ New ]

I too just purchased the Hero9 with the charger and extra battery. Before I turned on the GoPro, I used the dual charger and fully charged the batteries. Since then, I've only used one battery and placed the 2nd one in the camera bag. Well, after talking to my friend who also does some GoPro'g, he told me to watch out for possible battery drainage even if the camera is off (which I can confirm what others are saying...it just uses some juice for whatever ghost is inside). 

HOWEVER...I then took the 2nd battery, the one that i had never used but was fully charged 2 days prior, and used it to power on the Hero9 to see if it had 100% remaining (which common sense dictates that it should), but it was not. It had somehow lost 7% of it's charge sitting on the camera bag. 

So, to me it seems like the batteries are actually faulty...not the cameras. Perhaps there are different sources providing batteries to GoPro and we've gotten the bad batch? 

Can anyone else confirm the same results? Maybe charge the one battery you have, leave it aside for a day or two, and then use it to power up the camera while taking note of the percentage.

Hope this helps others and GoPro can make things right.

Tourist

[ New ]

I've just charged my two again. Going to leave them for 24 hours and see what happens.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am doing the same. I will recharge both batteries, place one in my Hero9, and the other aside. I will turn on the camera 24hrs later and see what's what.Then I'll swap batteries and see if there's a difference. 

DSC01895.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]
Several years ago there was one popular cell phone that was showing the percentage going down quickly and the battery wasn’t truly discharging just reporting that it was but once it reported zero it would shut down, it was quickly fixed with a firmware update...... fingers Crossed
Tourist

[ New ]

Quick Update: Both battery charge indicators turned green and I removed them both at the same time. I installed each in the Hero9 and turned them on to confirm 100% charge, however, one battery showed 96% and the other 98%. I replaced both batteries back in the charger and both show yellow...indicating they are charging.

Perhaps the charger incorrectly identified them as being fully charged when in fact, they were not? Or perhaps, as someone mentioned before, this is a firmware issue that can be corrected easily with an update? 

Regardless, I am letting the two batteries recharge again and hopefully they will be 100% this time around.

Tourist

[ New ]

Update #3:

I finished recharging the two batteries and quickly tested them to see the level of charge that the Hero9 registered. 

BAT#1: 96%

BAT#2: 95%

I kept BAT#2 in the camera for 24hrs and tested the battery draw, if any, that occured during that time. It turned out that the battery lost 4% charge while the camera was off, whereas BAT#1 stayed at 96%.

Keep in mind that niether battery read 100% when initially tested...which coud mean either a) the camera is not displaying the correct charge percentage or b) the batteries are not able to achieve 100% charge. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I recharged after draining both by 2/3 and one was only reading 99% Left them for 24 hours and both were on 99. 

I can live with that. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

Just following up on the reported issues.

Are you getting 100% on the battery now?

If it's still the same, can you please help us with the camera version and the
SD card used(brand, model, capacity)?
Can you also check the charging output of the adapter used?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Ok ✅ I’m now comfortable with the Battery.. the suggestion I followed was to shutoff voice control.. I can now leave the camera off the charger for at least 24 hours without loosing much charge (just a few percent) before this it would completely drain in 10-12 hrs of non use.. I am currently using the sandisk 32 gb sd card that GoPro supplied , waiting for a 256 gb sandisk I have ordered.. I did not turn off GPS or WiFi ... that does leave me with the problem that I was going to try to use Voice control as Remote control since we have no support fir the Smart remote at this time..
Tourist

[ New ]

I'm going to have to test this out on my unit and battery. Unfortunately I'm waiting for the dual charger to become available locally so only 1 battery for now.

Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006  schrieb:

Are you getting 100% on the battery now?

I have been getting 100% but it rarely stays there. It's getting better though and the battery tends to keep more and more power. This is strange behaviour though. If it's normal for batteries to act like this, I guess all the devices I have ever owned were somehow prepared before they were shipped out to the customers so they wouldn't experience this.

It's still losing power quickly when turned on. The display's brightness has been turned down to 15% (front is off) but it's still eating the same if not more power as older cameras (like 1% every minute according to the display) when it's not recording. I understand that the picture processing is always on even without recording but I'd expect it to last longer on "standard" video mode (Full HD, 60fps) without Hindsight.

If it's still the same, can you please help us with the camera version and the
SD card used(brand, model, capacity)?

Camera version: it says 01.21 in the menu which should be the newest 1.21 and has been installed from the very first day.

SD card: SanDisk Extreme 128 GB MicroSDXC with A1 (reads the same values as the one provided, just more capacity I think)

Can you also check the charging output of the adapter used?

I have been using different ways to charge it and am no geek so Google is all I can give you:

MacBook Pro 2017 USB C port: 10W (or even only 4.5W)

iPhone charger: 5W

iPad charger: 12W (probably)

Less W should result in a slower and more accurate process but I have mainly used the iPhone charger.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

We have shared this with the team in charge.

We'll post back once we have an update.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Thank You!
Tourist

[ New ]

I experience the same. Also red light goes on approx. 30 seconds after i turn off my gopro

Tourist

[ New ]

I charged up my Hero9 Sat night, checked the battery status on Sunday morning and it was at 100%. Checked it Monday afternoon and it was still at 100%. This was the 3rd recharge directly from the unit. Still waiting for the dual battery chargers to become available locally. ARGH!

Hiker

[ New ]
I’m currently experiencing the same thing, staying charged up now since I shut off the Voice control.. currently just using it as a dash cam with it mounted on the windshield of my car.. until I get a working smart remote.. I just received my dual battery charger and second battery
Hiker

[ New ]

I ordered the DualCharger online at BestBuy a few days ago. It's here, and i charged two batteries at the same time already. I was so excited that i forgot to check how long it took.

Tourist

[ New ]

I just tried to turn on my GoPro 9 and it simply did nothing. I removed the battery, cable plugged in, nothing.

Luckily I'm in posession of a 2nd battery that was in the case for weeks. Put it in and it booted. Yay!

I kept the cable in, removed the battery, put in the battery that didn't want to do anything. It was at 0% !!!

I charged it a week ago or so, left it in the GoPro 9 but removed the cable and it was completely depleted.

Not funny

Hiker

[ New ]
Do you have voice control turned on, that’s what caused the same issue with mine
Tourist

[ New ]

No, I don't have it turned on, neither the option to quickly start recording on the last setting.

Hiker

[ New ]
Ok You might try power cycling the batteries IE: Charge them Up then run them down again , I believe thats worked for a few... Myself I just used the cable Plugged into the Camera a couple times to charge , I did break down and buy one of the dual chargers and its worked quite well... You could also try reseting the camera to default factory settings and see then if the battery stays up , then only make one change at a time until you find one that effects Your battery Life ... Just for reference I've got My camera mounted in my vehicle .. its been in there for over two weeks ive just used it briefly a couple times and its still at 85% Battery
Sightseer

[ New ]

Same issues, did you find a solution?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @quickalp6610

How are you charging the battery?
Were you able to update the camera manually?

What percentage are you getting when charging the battery on the unit?

You may also check How to Charge the Camera Battery

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi,

I am experiencing similar problems as those mentioned above.

Right out of the box, I configured the camera settings in order to turn off Wi-Fi, GPS, HindSight, Voice Commands, screen light, etc. to minimize power consumption while charinging. Note that I also inserted a SD-card before charging (SanDisk Extreme Pro microSDXC A2 128GB)

On the first charge, I plugged the camera into a MacBook Pro using the cable that came with the camera. Once fully charged, I turned Wi-Fi back on and updated to the newest software via the GoPro App that I had previously downloaded to my Iphone. I then went out to shoot a video with the standard video settings (1080|60, Wide). After about 38 minutes, the camera was out power and shut down. Later the same same day, I fully charged the battery again, this time via a 5V, 1A USB wall charger. I exported the video I had shot earlier to my Macbook via the USB cable, before I deleted the media from the SD-card. The battery was charged to 98%, and so I turned the camera off and left it with the battery in over night. The next morning when I turned the camera on, it was down to 13% and the camera got warm immediately after turning it on. Note that the camera has felt very warm whenever powered on. I then charged the battery up to 53% and turned Wi-Fi off and left it over night again. The next day (today) the battery was completely empty, and I was unable to power up the camera.

I hope this information can help the GoPro team with identifying the error and correct it.

Regards

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @fredriw535

Can you please try plugging the camera without the battery?  

See if the camera powers back on.

You may also check GoPro Camera Will Not Power On

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Got my 9 last week through GoPro during the holiday special. it came with different accesosries than those pictured and paid for. It instead came with the worthless to me Floating Hand Grip and 2 batteries instead of 1. Worthless too. I charged battery 1 to 100%. Did setup (worthless) , took about 7 minutes of footage (low res, no voice control or other battery eaters), That drained the battery to 84%. Turned GoPro off, it slept overnight inside my house at about 68°F and was dead by morning. I take that to be 0% on the battery. Haven't bothered with battery #2 yet.

Charged battery 1 back up to 100%, downloaded the mystery update and now I can't get it to recognize my phone/or my phone to recognize the GoPro. Turned it off and 4 hours later no charge.

Does the GoPro no questions asked return policy include the dead batteries?  This is my 4th GoPro and all have had crap batteries. I used Wasabi's in previous GoPro's. They at least held a charge. Not for long but held.

So don't know if it a camera problem or battery problem. Yes I am a fool for spending $$$ for this defective product.

Tourist

[ New ]

Ran some "experiments". Charged battery 1 to 100%, unplugged the USB C, made sure the 9 was off and let it sit overnight. Went from 100% to 94% in 6 hours while off. So I decided to just turn on the 9 and watch the battery percentage go down while not filming, just sitting there on my desk. Set my lap timer and I was losing 1% every 1 minute and 17 seconds (average). And the camera is warm. I could be even more nerdy and start logging the temperature!

Today I'll charge up battery 2 and run the same tests. So far the first battery is worthless.

Hiker

[ New ]
Just curious, did You have Voice control turned on? That seems to run mine down..
Backpacker

[ New ]

So you turned on your camera....  (btw  when your camera is on, it's still processing Hypersmooth stabilization, color processing, edge enhancement, skin smoothening, GPS, Wireless etc), You had the LCD screen on so your could see the battery information and you're surprised the battery level dropped......    right.

Tourist

[ New ]

Not on. I preselected settings that I knew take battery life.The battery loses an unacceptable amount of power as it is! I was just about to check battery #2 to see if it is as bad as #1. As it is I would have to keep the camera plugged in all the time until I get to where I'd like to film and then monitor that battery life during filming hoping I don't run out in the middle of something exciting.

Tourist

[ New ]

Yes but if it is losing life that fast and not even filming...

Hiker

[ New ]

I'm too lazy to read the pages and pages of post.  So ignore if you like:  But have you tried turning off your wireless connections?  When I shut my device down for a period of time, I either pull the battery or turn off WiFi (never have GPS or voice on, or I would turn that off as well).  Seems to hold a charge that way.

Tourist

[ New ]

GPS and WiFi off too. Will be timing loss with bettery stored outside of camera too.

Hiker

[ New ]
I saw my battery going down fast when I first got it, then ran both batteries down to zero a couple times and charged them back up to a 100% now my camera stays mounted on the windshield of my car with WiFi and gps active and it it only loses a few % in a weeks time only thing deactivated is the voice control which didn’t work well for me... currently just using it as a very expensive dash cam until “The Remote” is available..
Tourist

[ New ]

Hey I'll try your suggestion since the batteries a doing a great job of going to 0%!!!

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hello

Same problem here, I got 3 batteries in total and dual charger, batteries don't charge to 100% they just go till 94% or 96% inside dual charger and inside go pro 9 it does 100%.

Batteries losing power during night, it was 100% this morning 96%, what is this?

I want new batteries or new charger.

I was using IPAD mini 5 charger brick, Huawei P30 pro brick, all gave same results and I used original cable whic go pro gave...

Any solution? This is not normal for brand new camera!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @nikolad1466, @susans4202, @ultrapilot12001, and @fredriw535. If you are still observing the issue, it would help to determine battery integrity to make sure that your camera works efficiently. To do this, run a short record time test following these instructions.

If you get a battery life that is significantly shorter than expected, please contact our Support team so they can assist you with the next steps. To connect with Support, visit https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs and fill out the form with the needed details. Once done, select "Contact Us" and proceed with either chat or a callback request. Be sure to put in your best contact number. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having a similar experience. The battery may lose 25% between the time I leave the house and the time I start filming, with the camera completely off (Hero 9). And none of the passive recording modes/features enabled. Power loss is not just limited to when the batteries are in the camera either. They lose juice rapidly just sitting on a desk. Even if they were just fully charged (say, within the past day), I still have to put them back on the charger in advance if I am planning to use the camera later. Otherwise the batteries will have <90% power left when I actually put them in and turn the camera on. Lithium-ion batteries should not drain like this when they are not in use and not being stored in a device.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @nimbledive85777

Sorry for any trouble caused.

If you haven't yet, please try running a manual update. https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

If it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi 

Experiencing exactly the same issues with all 3 batteries purchased recently.  Once fully charged Via gopro Supercharger they only register 93%, 95% and the highest at 97% 

I am currently waiting for a call back from support having manually installed the latest version (V1.50)

Did you ever receive a resolution ?

Cheers

Tourist

[ New ]

After repeated battery draining to 0% and charging back to 100% on one of my batteries as suggested, I am not getting overnight battery drain. But I still have all the battery draining options/features set to off. That pretty much makes them pretty worthless as a quick turn on and shoot camera! You have to choose whether to take the time to turn some of the features back on right before you want to use them or keep them on and hope the battery doesn't drain before you film something exciting.

I haven't had a chance to get out the past couple of weeks to film.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Hey Kristopher0588 - did you get an answer to this question? My brand new Hero9 arrived with 2 batteries and both have the ame problem. 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hey jamesf30331

not really. Most people are told to contact support if they are having issues. My battery issues resolved after a few loading circles. I asked if this is normal behaviour for new batteries (like they need to "learn" something) but never got an answer.

It seems these support forums aren't really meant for support Robot Frustrated