Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 9 battery drain

[ New ]

I've just charged my two again. Going to leave them for 24 hours and see what happens.

Tourist

[ New ]

I am doing the same. I will recharge both batteries, place one in my Hero9, and the other aside. I will turn on the camera 24hrs later and see what's what.Then I'll swap batteries and see if there's a difference. 

DSC01895.JPG
Hiker

[ New ]
Several years ago there was one popular cell phone that was showing the percentage going down quickly and the battery wasn’t truly discharging just reporting that it was but once it reported zero it would shut down, it was quickly fixed with a firmware update...... fingers Crossed
Tourist

[ New ]

Quick Update: Both battery charge indicators turned green and I removed them both at the same time. I installed each in the Hero9 and turned them on to confirm 100% charge, however, one battery showed 96% and the other 98%. I replaced both batteries back in the charger and both show yellow...indicating they are charging.

Perhaps the charger incorrectly identified them as being fully charged when in fact, they were not? Or perhaps, as someone mentioned before, this is a firmware issue that can be corrected easily with an update? 

Regardless, I am letting the two batteries recharge again and hopefully they will be 100% this time around.

Tourist

[ New ]

Update #3:

I finished recharging the two batteries and quickly tested them to see the level of charge that the Hero9 registered. 

BAT#1: 96%

BAT#2: 95%

I kept BAT#2 in the camera for 24hrs and tested the battery draw, if any, that occured during that time. It turned out that the battery lost 4% charge while the camera was off, whereas BAT#1 stayed at 96%.

Keep in mind that niether battery read 100% when initially tested...which coud mean either a) the camera is not displaying the correct charge percentage or b) the batteries are not able to achieve 100% charge. 

Tourist

[ New ]

I recharged after draining both by 2/3 and one was only reading 99% Left them for 24 hours and both were on 99. 

I can live with that. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

Just following up on the reported issues.

Are you getting 100% on the battery now?

If it's still the same, can you please help us with the camera version and the
SD card used(brand, model, capacity)?
Can you also check the charging output of the adapter used?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]
Ok ✅ I’m now comfortable with the Battery.. the suggestion I followed was to shutoff voice control.. I can now leave the camera off the charger for at least 24 hours without loosing much charge (just a few percent) before this it would completely drain in 10-12 hrs of non use.. I am currently using the sandisk 32 gb sd card that GoPro supplied , waiting for a 256 gb sandisk I have ordered.. I did not turn off GPS or WiFi ... that does leave me with the problem that I was going to try to use Voice control as Remote control since we have no support fir the Smart remote at this time..