Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 9 battery drain

Greetings,

my brand new Hero 9 (arrived two days ago) is having battery drain when turned off.

WiFi, GPS, voice commands and everything is turned off. The only thing enabled is QuikCapture which should not use any power.

During the first night the battery completely drained. During the second night it lost 5% while sitting on the table powered off.

If this is a software thing, please fix. If it's hardware, please replace. There is no use for a bigger battery when it's losing power THAT quickly without any operation.

Searching for this, the Hero 7 has lots of results popping up about this but there is no valid solution. Taking out the battery when the camera is not used is clearly not the way to go (fiddling it back in every time when you want to use it + wearout on the door).

Highlighted
Tourist

Betreff: Hero 9 battery drain

Here goes your update:

battery still losing % when the camera is fully off. This will add up to a minimum of 5% loss for nothing across an outdoor day, probably even more then I guess.

The camera has now also twice refused to power on. I had to connect it to charge and it would start up, showing the battery is all fine above 80%. It's not really usable outdoors if you need to plug it in every couple startups. It's plain dead and won't respond to any button presses or holds.

Highlighted
Hiker

Betreff: Hero 9 battery drain

Wow, that is very strange. I am on my third day with the battery charged in my Hero 9, without using it, and it still stands at 100% state of charge. I wonder what is causing loss of charge on yours. I think you probably just have a deffective battery.

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 9 battery drain

Ok day before yesterday I fully charged my hero 9 , didn't touch it at all yesterday, this afternoon I tried to turn it on to film a ride ... nothing... zero ...  I do have quick capture and Voice control enabled, that's it...  any suggestions?

Highlighted
Tourist

Got mine yesterday and charged both batteries. Booted it up 20 hours later and the one in the camera, everything turned off, and it's down to 93. The that wasn't in the camera was down to 95.

Coupled with the UI lag I'm experiencing, I'm not happy.

Highlighted
Hiker

well I guess its getting to be normal that sufficient Real world testing is never done on tech based items and the companies rely heavily on feedback (Complaints) from the user base to get things dialed in,  at My age I should know better than to Purchase tech in the first couple Months or the First Year a New car is released..   

Highlighted
Hiker

Well, i saw this once, and at first i thought i didn't turn it off, because in more than one occasion i couldn't turn the camra off without pulling the battery. I also see that when trying to turn the camera on. I just is dead, but when i remove and then re-insert the battery it turns on, and shows whatever battery percentage.

Hope they fix this in the next firmware update!

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I too just purchased the Hero9 with the charger and extra battery. Before I turned on the GoPro, I used the dual charger and fully charged the batteries. Since then, I've only used one battery and placed the 2nd one in the camera bag. Well, after talking to my friend who also does some GoPro'g, he told me to watch out for possible battery drainage even if the camera is off (which I can confirm what others are saying...it just uses some juice for whatever ghost is inside). 

HOWEVER...I then took the 2nd battery, the one that i had never used but was fully charged 2 days prior, and used it to power on the Hero9 to see if it had 100% remaining (which common sense dictates that it should), but it was not. It had somehow lost 7% of it's charge sitting on the camera bag. 

So, to me it seems like the batteries are actually faulty...not the cameras. Perhaps there are different sources providing batteries to GoPro and we've gotten the bad batch? 

Can anyone else confirm the same results? Maybe charge the one battery you have, leave it aside for a day or two, and then use it to power up the camera while taking note of the percentage.

Hope this helps others and GoPro can make things right.