Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 9 batteries draining on their own?

Has anyone else noticed an issue with the batteries for the Hero 9 draining more on their own compared to other GoPro batteries (Hero 8 & Max, specifically)? I have a Hero 9 and three batteries in total. One I leave in the camera, and the other two are in the dual charger while I’m at work. I’ve noticed that, even though the Hero 9 is completely powered off, it will typically be at around 93-95% when I turn it on after being powered off for a day or so. I also noticed that when I put my extra batteries in the dual charger after having sat in my bag overnight, the LEDs on the charger light up amber for a little while before turning back to green again. I have the same battery setup with my Max, but those light up green immediately when plugged back into the dual charger. Also, my Hero 8 will sit powered off for up to a week at a time, and it’s always still at 100% when I turn it back on again.

I’ve gone through and disabled everything I can think of that might be draining the battery (GPS, wireless connections, voice control, etc…) but nothing seems to make a difference. Luckily, since I have extra batteries, it hasn’t become a practical issue, but I still am wondering why it’s only the Hero 9 batteries that seem to drain on their own.

Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: Hero 9 batteries draining on their own?

[ Edited ]

hi,

same here, same 3 batteries, and the dual charger.

exactly the same experience.

- charged batteries to green, back in dual charger start to charge - amber

- in the camera a green LED charged battery is 95%

and yes hero8 was green=100% and 100% after days.

I just read an article about how to enhance the batteries life.

not to charge to 100% and not discharge to zero.

very rarely I saw the batteries level at 100%...mostly at 95%

and the camera stops when the battery is around 6%.

my feeling is the dual charger does not charge the batteries at 100% - only to 95% - only this explains the behavior.

I hope is about the new power management and not a bug.

just me,

robert

Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the information you shared, @seannymurrs, and @robert1326. We have raised the matter to the team to check if there are other instances or any known issue. We will post back once we have an update. 

Highlighted
Backpacker
Highlighted
Backpacker

@seannymurrs @mariustanya 

mystery solved with the charging!

if I use an USB-C to USB-C cable and a 3A capable power source (Anker Powerbank), the batteries charge both in the camera in dual-charger at 100%

thank you,

robert