Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

For those willing to manually fix this. Here are 3 ffmpeg steps you could automate.
I tested these on OSX using ffmpeg 4.3.2
This approach removes the front microphone channel from the raw audio and replaces the mp4 audio with the raw audio file without the front mic channel (the one with the pops).

Starting with 2 files:
GX010107.mp4
GX010107.wav

The recording settings used:

- Raw audio in the "Low" processed setting ( the format is .wav file )

- "Wind" setting turned to "Off"

Following @isaakonfire his recommendations.
See: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero-9-audio-pops/m-p/1017867/highlight/true#/M197909

Step 1: Of the 4 channels in GX010107.wav map the second channel to left, and the third channel to right in a new stereo file.
 ./ffmpeg -i GX010107.wav -af "pan=stereo|c0=c1|c1=c2" GX010107-2-channel.wav

Step 2: Increase audio volume with 40 dB.
 ./ffmpeg -i GX010107-2-channel.wav -filter:a "volume=40dB" GX010107-2-channel-40dB.wav

Step 3: encode new stereo file into the video, without reencoding the video.
./ffmpeg -i GX010107.mp4 -i GX010107-2-channel-40dB.wav -c:v copy -map 0:v:0 -map 1:a:0 GX010107-fixed.mp4

Note wav and mp4 duration were not exactly the same, ffmpeg -info shows: 
wav: Duration: 00:03:30.50
mp4: Duration: 00:03:30.58
But I do not notice the difference in the new mp4 file

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, if we remember that the front mic is kind of the main one that picks up most of the sound from in front of the camera, that is where the main action is, we'll be throwing away the better part of the audio following your procedure.

Tourist

[ New ]

@sunlit777 In my case the remainder of the audio is quite good, and the result without pops is quite better than the original one with pops.
You could try yourself and let us know your results. If I look at the 4 channel audio file in Audacity the three channels also look quite similar. In Audacity you can easily mute the first channel: try yourself. But of course different situations might have different results.

For me I will wait to see if there will be a fix in an upcoming firmware. I record the additional raw data for the time being.
I love the video quality, the audio is a hit and mis at this moment. Therefor I spend this time automating a workaround, and share it with you.

Hiker

[ New ]
I shot about 20 hours of footage so far on my hero and there worst is the first minute and then it clears up so I’m hanging in for now to see what Go Pro will do for me. It’s not worth sending it back and getting way worse from what I’ve been reading about other hero 9 owners.
Tourist

[ New ]

@aragon1006 I requested a refund 24hrs ago. I received my mailing labels instantly, however did not receive the secondary email with RMA form. Are you folks trying to make me go over my 30 day money back return???? This is just ignorance and bad business. I don't want to be stuck with this garbage anymore. PLEASE ADVISE!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @amendoa26

Please reach out to Support to follow up on your case.

You may submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Nomad

[ New ]

Have the technicians found the problem or do they need another eight months?

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Don't ignore my question.

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this issue?

Or is it a defective product that cannot be resolved without replacing the camera body?

I want to know only these two points.

I haven't heard of a workaround (turn on the camera and wait 2 minutes).

We are waiting for your reply.