Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

Qualche novità da GoPro ???

Highlighted
Tourist

According to this page:

https://gethypoxic.com/blogs/technical/gopro-hero9-teardown 

GoPro itself charges the battery to 4.34 volts, which is a way too high voltage for a Li-Ion battery. They sacrifice the longevity of the battery for runtime, as Li-Ion batteries degrade much faster when charged to high voltages. Your external charger probably charges to a lower voltage, which is why GoPro itself shows that the battery is not full.

So you should never let your GoPro charge the battery to 100% unless you absolutely need all the runtime possible, otherwise your battery will be ruined soon. I charge only to 50-70% or so unless I'm going to record a long video. Charge less and often is better for the battery. For GoPro it's good to charge to 4.34 because they'll sell more replacement batteries that way, and fare better in reviews when the battery runtime is benchmarked against rival cameras.

If the audio popping is a firmware issue, then how come there seem to be Hero9 cameras that don't have the problem? Whereas some cameras, mine included, pops in almost every video. I think GoPro knows exactly what's the problem, and I'm afraid it's a defective mic. It's expensive for them if the cameras get returned. Who knows, maybe they try to save money by implementing a desperate workaround in software that tries to remove the pops by processing the audio. Personally, I'd rather have a non-defective mic to begin with.

Highlighted
Hiker

Abbiamo tutti bisogno di una risposta ufficiale per cortesia

c'è qualche responsabile GoPro che ha qualche informazione in merito ? per la questione GPS è stato detto che ci stanno lavorando e che non è un problema hardware ( problema che non tutte le gopro hanno ); per quanto riguarda questo problema al microfono io ho provato 2 Hero9 una acquistata qui ed una da Amazon ed entrambe hanno lo stesso identico problema.

Per cortesia, aggiornateci sullo stato di risoluzione del problema

Andrea

Highlighted
Hiker

Can someone who has media mod, check or the problem with audio is together with media mod also?
Highlighted
Tourist

Tried factory reset and reinstall the firmware. Useless

Highlighted
Hiker

I'm still doing some experimentation with various mic settings and putting the RAW audio setting to Low so I can have a look at the different channels, but for my GoPro at least it would appear that the pops/crackles are coming from just one of the Stereo Mics, for around 40 seconds or so after the camera has been turned on. When I look at the WAV file the pops are only in the first stereo track (if you set RAW Audio to Medium or High it will be in both) - the second stereo track and the mono track are clean.

I am no expert on electrical components, but at this point with my GoPro my best guess is that there is some electrical discharge from the battery or a capacitor or something when the camera first turns on that just one of the mics is picking up. 

I'd be interested in hearing other peoples experiences about the following two scenarios:

1) If you turn Wind Reduction to ON do you still get the pops, even when recording as soon as you turn the camera on?

(I believe this setting just uses the mono mic and on mine at least this mic seems to not produce any pops)

2) If you turn Wind Reduction to OFF and have the camera on for 1-2 minutes before recording do you still get the pops?

(With my camera it seems I only get pops for around 40 seconds or so after turning the camera on. This explains why I didn't have the issue when I first used the camera, as every time I turned it on I would fiddle with settings before I recorded anything)

Highlighted
Hiker

And in addition to my above post, I believe it's the mic on the front that is the one where the pops/crackles are coming from/being picked up by.
Highlighted
Tourist

I guess I know the reason. Battery

I have two batteries, I tried the first one, and a pops sound happen most of the time. Then I tried the second one, at least until now, the audio is pretty good. THEN, I recorded with USB charger (took off the battery), the audio is also good. Could you guys try to do the same test? It might be the main reason.