Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

@excalibur1814 wrote:

Did they ever actually fix all of the issues on the 8?  Mine seemed okay by the end (just as the 9 was released).  The 8 had freezing screens, half screens etc. What fun.

Thanks for the info, why it doesn't surprise me.

P.s. I was in a cavern the other day and the GoPro in low light is crazily bad in low light. I used my Huawei Mate 20 x instead.

Phones use intelligent computational processing, the Gopro 9 may self-destruct if it tries to hard. I use the full sensor read out (without stabilization) like Wide 4:3 or Superview at 16:9  with 24fps at 1/24 shutter speed and makes good video for me, is true that's only good for contemplative shots, nothing too shaky. But also i always color grade and make a pass of noise reduction if necessary to all of my videos.

I made this low-light video on bike the other day and the quality is surprisingly acceptable for its tiny sensor: https://youtu.be/LYuLHvN4Rnk

The low-light settings where: 2.7K-24 fps + max lens mod + normal stabilization + max. ISO 800 + flat color + the gopro labs shutter speed limiter set so that it doesn't go down below 1/48 of a second.

There are tons of make up in Davinci Resolve though, I want to try the same settings at full night with street illumination.

Little test run for fine tuning Sram hydraulic brakes and the GoPro 9 lens mod at lowlight. Front brake lever was a little out of reach, rear brake lever is ...
Hiker

[ New ]
con poca luce la qualità è sempre accettabile se si mantengono gli ISO bassi
Nomad

[ New ]

@andregixxer wrote:
con poca luce la qualità è sempre accettabile se si mantengono gli ISO bassi

The problem with low ISO is unrecoverable detail loss specially with this GoPro 9 that has very contrasty shadows even with flat color, exceptionally it could be matched at 100 ISO with a very contrasty illuminated low-light scene but in general a natural looking low-light is also a low-contrast illumination; that's why the trick of overexposing artificially with ISO with flat profiles like s-log and such because there's no need for so much dynamic range protecting the highlights without sunlight so it's better to gain as much shadow detail as possible.

Tourist

[ New ]

Did a round of troubleshooting yesterday with GoPro chat.  They had me provide proof via clip then walked me through a restore.  Grabbed this little clip this morning for their requested followup post-restore video sample:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GK1-zpvu60

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Please answer my question.

When I updated HERO9 Black to the latest firmware version "v1.6" and shot a video, audio pop noise is still occurring.

https://gopro.com/en/us/update/hero9-black

Updating the camera to the latest firmware version "v1.6" does not resolve this issue.

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this audio pop issue?

Or is this audio pop problem a problem that can only be solved by replacing the camera body?

Please answer only the above two points.

We will wait for the answer.

Nomad

[ New ]

@mtnxfreeride wrote:

Did a round of troubleshooting yesterday with GoPro chat.  They had me provide proof via clip then walked me through a restore.  Grabbed this little clip this morning for their requested followup post-restore video sample:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GK1-zpvu60

It has the bug, I replace one like this directly in the shop and gave me one without this...but wait! 10 months later with the replacement and this is what I'm facing now:

C0025_130209011.JPG
Tourist

[ New ]

ooh that's bad!  Good luck getting a replacement.

NEWS JUST IN!

It looks like the GoPro 10 has... OVERHEATING issues.

-The Verge

-Engadget

-Top Youtubers

No mention of the issue. Disgusting. Same old, same old from GoPro. They have one chance at fixing it and a new firmware is supposed to appear in November. Yeah, a MONTH after it's released. 

Hiker

[ New ]

Do you actually have overheating yourself, Excalibur or is it reported by someone else?

Battery life looks like it’s taken a hit, but I was thinking the opposite ..... better processer might allow it to work less and so lower heating issues!

The YouTube stuff has mostly irritated me tbh. It looks like a race to be the first (and best) GoPro video out there so the focus (as you rightly say) is all on the positives.

Very few on YouTube have mentioned the 9 problems.

Anyway, I won’t be back. Not after the 9.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Selbes Problem. 3 Stunden Roadtrip Material Audio mäßig in der Tonne.. Juhu

Tourist

[ New ]

Пришлось купить Media Mod. Проблема НЕ ушла!!! Хлопков и щелчков стало значительно меньше, но они остались. Полное разочарование!

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

When I updated HERO9 Black to the latest firmware version "v1.6" and shot a video, audio pop noise is still occurring.

Updating the camera to the latest firmware version "v1.6" does not resolve this issue.

Or is this audio pop problem a problem that can only be solved by replacing the camera body?

Hiker

[ New ]

@godv 

Gopro have a fix........ its called a hero 10 you have to pay again for - probably just as bad.

how lovely the people at gopro are to release a new hot potato before fixing the previous one so now its 2nd in line for future bug fixes as the 10 is guaranteed to have its share now.

can't beleive the fanboy reviews omitting issues on the 10. in 1-3 months the truth will come out from users

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Hiker

[ New ]

The fix has just been released.

Nomad

[ New ]

Where? I think in version 10 :-)

Hiker

[ New ]

yes Smiley Very Happy

Nomad

[ New ]

We gotta move to the 10 crashdown & overheating department Smiley Mad

Hiker

[ New ]

Gawd..... is the 10 crashing now?

Adventurer

[ New ]

if in motion the camera does not overheat.  

Hiker

[ New ]

So the answer to the 9 is wait a few imutes with it on for the popping, and blow on the 10 to stop it overheating.

Gopro are doing so well.

Nomad

[ New ]

@ianc408 wrote:

Gawd..... is the 10 crashing now?

What I've seen so far the 10 is not short of malfunctions, want to make the change so I'm looking what is happening on the 10 support, amongst dozens of scary reports perhaps the most easy to see is @fishycomics video if you've got the curiosity: https://youtu.be/UspUhziYUVI

@fishycomics wrote:

if in motion the camera does not overheat.  

Oh hey there! Thanks for your straight up videos, I'm still wondering if the 10:

a) can hold up 4K 24p 1 hour+ as the GoPro 9

b) is the GoPro 10 a new unreliability pandora's box? I can't afford to be babysitting a device that should be making ME a service.

@ianc408 wrote:

So the answer to the 9 is wait a few imutes with it on for the popping, and blow on the 10 to stop it overheating.

Gopro are doing so well.

How to forget the guy who posted "GPH9 ruined my wedding"

If you like what you see hit that subscribe, I keep thing real. Thank you for viewing Please do not forget to Rate, Comment, and Subscribe The Gear I use:...
Hiker

[ New ]

make your statement with your $$$

looks like the gopop killer is near....

Smaller, lighter, AND ACTUAL SUPPORT!

https://dronedj.com/2021/09/24/dji-action-2-camera-specs-leaked/

i'll be grabbing on on release day knowing DJI works out the box...

Nomad

[ New ]

@rapidalp1534 wrote:

make your statement with your $$$

looks like the gopop killer is near....

Smaller, lighter, AND ACTUAL SUPPORT!

https://dronedj.com/2021/09/24/dji-action-2-camera-specs-leaked/

i'll be grabbing on on release day knowing DJI works out the box...

Yep! but why did they had do a modular design :_(  I liked the GPH9 direction of making the body bigger, but to put bigger sensor, bigger lens, etc. It's true that overheating is a real limit for the most advanced, even big, cameras, but modular? Waiting for the dji too!

Hiker

[ New ]

modular design is awesome! its like having a car and motorcycle at the same time. i want a small camera for RC use sub 1hr but then another camera i can use for adventures. this is insta360 merged the reliable original action to shove it to gopop.

DJI launch solid products i have a few and they ALL worked out of the box exactly as described with support.

Gopop should be VERY worried there is nothing they do better and a product is ONLY as good as its after sales support which they score -10

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Hiker

[ New ]
The fix has just been released.

This is like Groundhog Day.
Tourist

[ New ]

Has it really happened? 🙏

Hiker

[ New ]

The fix is a GoPro 10. 

They’ve never built a camera that hasn’t had problems.

A new set of them will turn up soon with the 10 now. ;)

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Hiker

[ New ]

Keep waiting. Be patient.

Hiker

[ New ]
There are no audio problems in Hero 10. It means they know, what the problem was with Hero 9. It also means it was a hardware problem, as they haven't released firmware update for Hero 9. Hero 10 is a great camera, though. So I forgive them :)
Hiker

[ New ]

selling a customer an "unfit for purpose" popping camera and THEN expecting them buy a new model that works how the previous one should is not a forgivable sin (retarded end user btw if you own a gopop9 and paid twice for a gohot now - if you did then no pity from me).

it should be swapped over at gopro's expense; if i still had my gopop i'd be going giving gopro the ultimatum of swap it today here and now or i take it to the ombudsman and have the case set in stone for others to follow while making their flaw hit the news. 

Tourist

[ New ]

@rapidalp1534 wrote:

it should be swapped over at gopro's expense; if i still had my gopop i'd be going giving gopro the ultimatum of swap it today here and now or i take it to the ombudsman and have the case set in stone for others to follow while making their flaw hit the news. 

You are right if you live in the USA, but for EU customers it is a bit different as GoPro has no official offices over here but only a logistical hub in The Netherlands. We can't complain to the hub for the errors made by GoPro as they are two different entities and making a complaint from the EU to the USA is way too complicated and expensive.

Backpacker

[ New ]

So a couple of things.....

The EU actually offers better consumer protection than most other countries including the USA.  However like most organizations that looks after consumers rights, they do so for the individual not as a group.  So you'd be well off contacting the Ombudsman, you can present evidence that this is a widespread problem, at which point your options are to get a camera exchange (for another 9 with popping issues) or get a full refund.  https://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/

Your other option is to approach a lawyer and ask them if you have sufficient grounds for a class action lawsuit representing customers of GoPro.  If the lawyer agrees to look into your case, and gives you a breakdown of his hours and what you'll pay him.... then run, you have no case.  On the other hand, if the laywer agress to look into your case and agree's that all his costs will be billed to defendent, then congrats you have a case. 

The GoPro Hero 9 has issues, GoPro have not addressed those issues. Saying "Buy a 10" will solve the problem is not a solution.  A company offered a product which did not live up to it's promised standard.  There has been no solution to the issue, so you've been ripped off.  They have taken your money and bragged about the success and profits they have made without offering you, the customer, a solution to the issue.  Would you be happy if a thug in the street robbed you of your money?  No!  You certainly wouldn't.  So why should anyone be happy that a company sold them a faulty product, took their money, and has not offered a solution or compensation for what they did.

Hiker

[ New ]

I learnt to live with popping audio and made some great things with my Hero 9s. I completely understand there are users that need to have camera instantly ready. That wasn't my case. I was able to make hundreds of video clips and my Hero 9s did a great job. Even with crackling audio Hero 9 was the best action camera there was. I've tried them all. I wasn't happy but I was satisfied. Now that I have two fully working Hero 10s, now I'm happy. YMMV.

Nomad

[ New ]

This content is sponsored by

GoPop.jpg

The brand that spends the money on advertising & social media that was meant for R&D and when people doesn't return the malfunction units with that money they go to a five star hotel and record their luxurious life style with a Sony RX0 II action camera.

It's the choice

Tourist

[ New ]

@demonviewllc wrote:

So a couple of things.....

The EU actually offers better consumer protection than most other countries including the USA.  However like most organizations that looks after consumers rights, they do so for the individual not as a group.  So you'd be well off contacting the Ombudsman, you can present evidence that this is a widespread problem, at which point your options are to get a camera exchange (for another 9 with popping issues) or get a full refund.  https://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/

This is a copy/paste from that website: The European Ombudsman works to promote good administration at EU level. The Ombudsman investigates complaints about maladministration by EU institutions and bodies, and also proactively looks into broader systemic issues.

Problem is that GoPro isn't an EU company but a US company, so far I couldn't find any representation of GoPro inside the EU. There is only the logistic hub.

Nomad

[ New ]

It doesn't matter, many tech companies avoid paying taxes on benefits they do on other countries because of that same legal strategy and when forced to pay them... they complied, because they don't want to lose millions of customers!

I wouldn't go as an individual, EU or any part of the world, it's millions of customers and potentially malfunction units, the thing here is that the only tech competitors in the action camera sector are from Japan and China so I figure nobody protests as of EU region.

Hiker

[ New ]

Ormai le cose stanno cosi

la Hero 9 ha il problema, chi la tiene ci convive ( dove mi serve utilizzo Premiere + Audition per togliere i Pop audio ); utilizzo la Hero9 prevalentemente per TimeLapse e video con l'FPV.

ho preso anche la Hero 10 per le riprese dove non ho tempo di editare l'audio..e dellla Hero 10 sono finalmente veramente contento

ormai il problema del Pop audio l'ho metabolizzato non ci perdo più energie

Andrea

Hiker

[ New ]

its disgracefull that they still sell the H9 to users wanting to save a few $ knowing FULLY well their **bleep** is nothing short of **bleep**.

if a car manufacturer knew of a problem from the factory and they did the gopro on it (i.e. ingored it and pretended it didn't exist)  for 12+ months this would be world of pain for the manufacturer.

WTF.... why are they still selling it KNOWLY to uneducated end users. 

I'd be ashamed to be associated with a company with morals so low

Tourist

[ New ]

I contacted support about this issue to see if there was a resolution forthcoming, and to get an explanation of why they think it's OK to sell someone a defective product and then refuse to address it.

Here's what happened:

1. Tech support staff tells me that they will look into it. I explain that I'm aware that I can warm up the camera for 2 minutes--but I'm not interested in that solution, because 99% of the things I record can't wait 2 minutes. So please don't take me through the process only to tell me to warm it up. Just tell me if there's another solution, and if not, replace this or explain why you won't swap it out.

2. Tech support makes me reinstall the firmware and call them back. So I do.

3. The new agent starts telling me to do more troubleshooting. I warn her that she better not be leading me down a path towards "please warm up the camera for 2 minutes before you film anything." I say this right at the beginning of the chat.

4. 1 hour later, she tells me that I can warm up the camera for 2 minutes to solve the problem, and that therefore, it is "not really a problem with the camera" and doesn't warrant a replacement or an upgrade.

So the company is an evil, trash company. Big surprise.

The real question is what's wrong with all you people. Really I'm disgusted by the lack of coordinated action on the part of the affected consumers--except for that one guy who keeps posting "we will wait for an answer" every couple weeks. Yeah I'm sure that's the fix, bud; they'll really get pissed off by having one customer service rep clear the notifications every few hours.

They stole your money, sent you a defective product, laughed in your face and refused you any compensation or restitution for it. They told you that it's "not a problem with the camera" to have the audio not work.

And you're just going to sit there and take it.

Chat2.PNG
Hiker

[ New ]

Really, GoPro should call Hero 9’s back and supply a 10 which is the fix. Pigs might fly though.

In the UK, the cameras come from a warehouse in Holland. That protects GoPro. They’re not there.

if you buy from a UK shop, then you can just take them back under UK guarantee laws.

Nomad

[ New ]
A week ago, I had a chat with a consultant. He told me he didn't know about this sound problem and to send the file. Their specialists will take care of it. This is the worst company and the most deceitful I have dealt with in my 50 years of life. Gopro you are the world champion in a lie :-)
Nomad

[ New ]

@rwzero wrote:

4. 1 hour later, she tells me that I can warm up the camera for 2 minutes to solve the problem, and that therefore, it is "not really a problem with the camera" and doesn't warrant a replacement or an upgrade.

That's a big lie right there, warrant laws are dictated by the legal authority of a country not by any scammer that comes by. So pretty sure Canada has some laws for customer protection.

About taking legal actions against a multinational, people may not know this but there's cases where multinationals take whole countries into a conveniently invented "international" court trying to dictate the legal conditions, sort of above the local laws.

So you can imagine what is their fantasy and the extremes (some of them) are willing to go.

The important thing is that they will put a lot of money to prevent losing a lot of money and they have that resources, apart of the tedious process for example in my country a judgement for a low felony of scamming thousands of euros can take several years tediously having to pay the costs of traveling to the court, lawyer etc

Hiker

[ New ]
Gopro is a company that steals other companies technologies and sells cameras that don't work. Talking about risky business...
Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

@mariustanya 

@aenriquez 

@haindash 

@jefft 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hola me han cambiado la camara por este problema y me ha llegado ayer pero sigue haciendo lo mismo pero con menos intensidad.Smiley Mad

Tourist

[ New ]
Gopro защо се криете ОТГОВОРЕТЕ НИ!!
Вие продавате боклуци не "камери"
Как не ви е СРАМ...
Tourist

[ New ]

hoy me han llamado los de gopro y me han dicho que es un problema comun en muchas camaras y que saben como resolverlo por ahora, me dicen que si enciendo la camara y la dejo 5 minutos encendida para que caliente seguro que no tengo ese problema jajajj madre mia vender una camara con este problema y no resolverlo... pues que nos la cambien por 10 digo yo

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

@aenriquez 

@aragon1006 

@haindash 

@jefft