Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

Have the technicians found the problem or do they need another eight months?

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Don't ignore my question.

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this issue?

Or is it a defective product that cannot be resolved without replacing the camera body?

I want to know only these two points.

I haven't heard of a workaround (turn on the camera and wait 2 minutes).

We are waiting for your reply.

Sightseer

[ New ]

i have the same problem :(. It was my first gopro cam. disappointed!

it's a swindle. 

greetings from chile

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Or is it a defective product that cannot be resolved without replacing the camera body?

Please answer the above two points instead of the workaround (turn on the camera and wait for 2 minutes).

I am waiting for your reply.

Nomad

[ New ]

Waiting for the answer too. @GoPro If you cant fix it, give my money back.

Hiker

[ New ]

It’s a hardware issue. There is no way they can fix the problem. They have three options. 1) Recal all the Hero 9s, 2) give Hero 9 owners a rebate on Hero 10 or 3) forget it and take a risk to loose the market share. Let’s see how it goes.

Nomad

[ New ]

Agreed, but since there's still 2 mics that works perfectly I want GoPro to provide an alternative clean stereo baked in the video for the affected users, that seeing the enormous magnitude that this post is getting it's more than justified; this solution it's already been proposed in GoPro Labs, its representative of the forum already said it's in the future list of things for upcoming firmwares but the reality is that if there's not enough pressure from users something so much specific won't pass through, and comparing it with this post here that isn't reflected at all, so please go there and call for action: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Labs/Labs-option-request-disable-specific-microphones/m-p/10335...

Needless to say GoProLabs is not ment to solve factory malfunctions, although it can in this case, but if we openly demand for a malfunction solution as this one probably they'll avoid it like the bubonic plague, like GoPro has been doing so far, so the idea is to make pressure without pointing to the real cause.

Nomad

[ New ]

The funniest thing is that no one at gopro knows about this problem :-)

Nomad

[ New ]

The bubonic plague:

The Poponic Plague.jpg

Onto more serious things, please go here and call for action: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Labs/Labs-option-request-disable-specific-microphones/m-p/10335...

Hiker

[ New ]

How many people posting here have been purchasing Go Pro cameras in the past. I guess what I mean to say is who were regular Go Pro customers before this issue and decided that this may be their last Go Pro with the faulty Hero 9? For me it was my first one. What a place to start with buying a Go Pro! First one I buy is their lemon with obviously no promises to make it right with us. It's sad really because they have truly made great cameras. But I'm sure someone else will release a camera with at least the current stabilization of the hero 9 which for most of us will be enough. I'm sure that other high end action cams will also go 5K too before long. It's hard to forget throwing out over $500 Canadian dollars on a camera and just "forget all about it" and purchase the Hero 10 in the upcoming months with the possibility of getting another lemon that again, we will be just stuck with. 

Tourist

[ New ]

It was my 7th GoPro and my last!

I'm taking my money to DJI or Insta360, albeit that the last one also has bad support in the EU. They have no local repair center so you have to send everything to HKK.

Hiker

[ New ]

I’ve had a GoPro since the 4. Loved the 5. Not so keen on the 7 but the 9 has killed the GoPro for me.

I was pretty much loyal to the GoPro but will not be back again unless the 10 is heavily discounted to 9 customers. I am using the Action, Pocket and Pocket 2 more these days and even though the Action doesn’t come up to a GoPro in all honesty, it’s way more reliable and the picture is far from. Even discounted, I’d have to think about the 10 actually. I no longer trust the brand.

So, I’m done with GoPros. I bought the 9 when it came out. Regretted it almost instantly with the freezing and locking and the popping was the final nail. Not been out of its box since a few weeks after it came out.

Knowing how awful Customer Service is (from the past) I didn’t even bother contacting them. Waste of time.

I am considering the ultimate fix video for YouTube. A hammer will do it.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Do a 90's throwback and use the song "It's hammertime" for the soundtrack!  

The GP9 is far from perfect, with the shutdowns all across the industry while in developement and the shutdowns still in place during testing, I think this really affected the GP9.  It's unfortunate, but it was released to meet the published date and still needed work.  There is (yet) another firmware release coming (no date yet) but I do recall reading on this forum somewhere that the main point of this one was the audio popping issue being investigated this time round.

I've noticed it myself, but not too often as when I record audio, I'm usually shooting with the media mod (which stops the pops) (should that be an advertisement catchphrase?).  Otherwise I'm shooting without audio in which case, I admit, the 5K does look kinda nice.

The 9 is a disappointment considering it's "still in development" but before you go smashing it, I would suggest you wait on the next firmware update.  Also....... it will give you time to negotiate music rights..............   

Hiker

[ New ]

What a great idea! Hammertime.......

I am actually serious because I never used it after trying it out. I also had problems with its colour profile to be honest. Sometimes it looked great and in cloudy weather, it looked wrong so I gave up.

I’ve just bought a sledgehammer so there’s a Peter Gabriel coming on as well!

Backpacker

[ New ]

Hammer to Fall by Queen is another one that rocks.  

Yup, there were issues that the color pallet is too yellow looking even in the flat profile and often I see there's excessive face smoothening going on (except in 5k, but at lower resolutions it's visible).  

Whereas I'm not going to discount the Hero 10, it won't be an impulse purchase.  I'll be waiting for the reviews, reading the forums and seeing what the specs are.  If it's still using the GP1 chip I may avoid it, I think they've overclocked that as much as it can be (another reason for stability issues imho).  My fear is that with all the catchup work they are doing with the 9, this is digging into the time they should be spending on the 10.  This will result in the 10 being launched, it will have 3 or 4 extra features that could easily be firmware based (Hypersmooth 4.0 that now works at night, set peak audio levels, rename presets, media mod with bluetooth built in that only fits the Hero 10...) but mostly, it will be a Hero 9 underneath it all that just works the way it should have worked to begin with.  So if there's any new frame rates or resolution combinations, others will disappear as a result, so now the lowest frame rate in 1080P will be 60FPS..or they do away with 1080P altogether.

OK, I predict...... Hero 9 firmware update........  end of May?  Can your hammer wait that long?

Hiker

[ New ]

Well, the hammer is definitely on standby.

I might call it the ‘Thor’ fix.

The colour thing is weird. That face smoothing thing was turning me into a Thunderbirds puppet. I did try correcting it and found that playing with hue could get at it but the picture started to fall apart when I adjusted enough to get things looking roughly right. The wonders of 8 bit I guess.

Then I noticed that it was changing 8nto a handwarmer if I dared to use it for a few minutes.

Then freezing.

Then locking.

Then popping on the audio.

So Hammerite should do it. I might at least laugh at the stupidity of what I’d done although if I forget to press record on my Canon, it would be one of those things I couldn’t take again! ; )

Hiker

[ New ]

@irishmanpdx 

Why do you know that the next HERO9 Black firmware update will be released in May?

Are you a GoPro employee?

Will a firmware update released in May resolve this audio issue?

Backpacker

[ New ]

@godv 

Why do you know that the next HERO9 Black firmware update will be released in May?

As I very clearly stated in my post said that I saw it mentioned in another post that there would be a firmware release and I believe it said that GoPro was investigating the audio issue.  It would therefore make sense that the audio issue is being addressed in the firmware fix.

I also said I "PREDICT" it would be in May.  The reason being that I've noticed in the past it usually takes about 2 months to roll out a firmware release.  Could take longer, could take sooner, I have no idea, it's a "PREDICTION".

Are you a GoPro employee?

I am not, I never have been, I never will be.  I have not been at any stage employed directly, by third party or under contract for GoPro.  I'm also currently wearing black boxers, blue jeans, a grey t-shirt, black socks and a pair of sneakers.  For dinner (since I had a large lunch) I grilled myself an "Impossible Beef" burger, I garnished it with hot pepper bacon jam, a sharp 2 year aged slice of white cheddar, some spinach and a topping of ketchup.  Since I had just worked for an hour and a half in the garden, I also had 2 large lite beers with it too.  Tonight I intend to go on a 8 mile run and then shower, have a hot cup of Black  Liqourice tea and go to bed.  I usually wake at around 3:30am to go on another run, but for this week I'm doing night runs so I intend to sleep until at least 5am.  For breakfast I'm going to have some granola with milk.  I have not decided what I'm going to do about lunch yet but I'm open to suggestions.   Are there any other questions about my personal life that I can answer for you?  Is there any other information you feel you need, maybe where I work?  How much I earn?  A copy of my income taxes?  Just let me know!

Will a firmware update released in May resolve this audio issue?

Maybe, maybe not.  I suggest you wait and see.   As I stated, I had a vague memory of seeing it mentioned that there was an open ticket investigating the issue.  If there's an open ticket, that usually means there's enough cases to invetigate the issue.  If GoPro can repeat the issue, then they can diagnose a cause.  If they can diagnose a cause, they can impliment a fix.  If they can impliment a fix they will issue a firmware update.  

IF.....

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Please answer the above two points instead of the workaround (turn on the camera and wait for 2 minutes).

Tourist

[ New ]

@godv wrote:

@aragon1006 

If he or she answers your questions honestly he or she has to look for another job.

It's a shame this simple question isn't answered after so many months and 325 posts! I think they won't do a recall with the drone fiasco in the back of their minds.

Time to sell your GPRO stock on Nasdaq!

Tourist

[ New ]

I've finally found solution and it works great! It's called Osmo Action. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Nomad

[ New ]
Good solution :) Waiting for Osmo action 2
Hiker

[ New ]

With now over 700+ posts regarding this issue, i`m surprised no one has thought about a lawsuit against gopro, you think how much grief Apple gets if there is something wrong with their firmware or their phones not picking up a signal correctly etc etc.

So surprised someone out there hasn`t started some sort of lawsuit that would either make gopro exchange it for a gopro 10 if it comes out, full refund of camera, or something, but i do think this is a problem that they just are not going to be able to fix and they are just waiting to get the gopro 10 out and then sweep the gopro 9 issues under the carpet.

Hiker

[ New ]

It surprises me as well. Having goods not fit for purpose is a big thing in retail, but someone has to decide  what ‘fit for purpose’ actually means in the case of cameras.

I suspecting random crashing, locking and popping might not make it unfit for purpose because it does take pictures. How bad does something need to be to be ‘unfit’?

Nomad

[ New ]

But gopro found a solution to this problem. He informs on the pages of this forum to warm up the camera for two minutes and the problem will disappear. Except for me and most users, such advice offends my intelligence and is just plain idiotic.

Nomad

[ New ]

aha, and how to use this method if i'm using quick capture? :)

Tourist

[ New ]

@philr115 wrote:

With now over 700+ posts regarding this issue, i`m surprised no one has thought about a lawsuit against gopro, you think how much grief Apple gets if there is something wrong with their firmware or their phones not picking up a signal correctly etc etc.

So surprised someone out there hasn`t started some sort of lawsuit that would either make gopro exchange it for a gopro 10 if it comes out, full refund of camera, or something, but i do think this is a problem that they just are not going to be able to fix and they are just waiting to get the gopro 10 out and then sweep the gopro 9 issues under the carpet.

I already checked, but it's quite difficult from the EU as they don't have a local office, only a distribution hub in The Netherlands. This hub is a multi brand hub, no good for a lawsuit.

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Hiker

[ New ]

@godv why are you bothering flogging this dead horse. its clear as daylight this issue from Q42020 isn't fixed so its more than a firmware issue. 

i've parted ways with Gopro and sold off my 9s and only tune in for the entertainment. - I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT FROM THEM - cancelledy my membership last night as - my Phone does more and have a 7 just in case things get rough

this ship is SOOO past saving so move on while you can; sell it on, give a 1 finger salute and buy else where

time to GoBro!

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry, @godv. We do not have new information to share about the issue at this time. Our team is still working on it. Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

Thank you for your reply.

Will future camera firmware updates resolve this audio pop issue?

Or is this audio pop problem a problem that can only be solved by replacing the camera body?

Please answer only the above two points.

We will wait for the answer.

Hiker

[ New ]

Mettitela via

non si risolve nemmeno cambiando camera

ne ho cambiate 3 a distanza di mesi

tutte con lo stesso problema

ho abbandonato.

Hiker

[ New ]

@godv wrote:

@mariustanya 

Thank you for your reply.

Or is this audio pop problem a problem that can only be solved by replacing the camera body?

NO, firmware will not resolve this issue UNLESS they can turn off the front mic, as someone has already pointed out in this thread this is the one that causes the issue.

its a balls up that probably isnt going to be fixed, as they are already moving on with the version 10.

(although i have not heard any popping on my videos)

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

Tourist

[ New ]

I'm having audio crackling issues that suddenly started today. It ruined a video I was filming.

If this cannot be addressed, I want this thing replaced or refunded--it's only a few months old.

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

Adventurer

[ New ]

7 months on no confirmation of a Fix

Backpacker

[ New ]

Hi @mariustanya   Is there a way to "ignore" a user on these forums so we don't keep seeing repeated annoying posts from them?  Or do we just have to report their posts as "spam" to get them removed?  

Tourist

Betreff: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

I bought the GoPro 9 in December 2020. Since then, I've had to send it in 2 times because it hangs each time in time-lapse photo mode.

My third GoPro 9 now also has the cracking noises in some videos. Not in every video, but they appear regularly.

I'm getting really disappointed with GoPro, none of my 3 Hero 9 cameras have worked properly. Smiley Frustrated

Has GoPro commented on the audio problem or even provided a solution?

If not, I will be returning my GoPro 9 and switching to another brand.

Tourist

[ New ]

They are working on it, but very very slow I guess because months passed by without any solution.

Tourist

[ New ]

This threat was started in September 2020. If after almost 8 months there has been no official statement as to whether it is a software or hardware problem, not to mention a solution....
Then I lose my trust in the brand.

Tourist

[ New ]

Went on a trip, returned to find minor pops on numerous video clips.  Any fix soon?

I recorded with 4K/30FPS/ISO 100min:400max/Wind Off/High Bitrate.

I'm nervous to take this on another trip as possibly ruining the footage.

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

Hiker

[ New ]
I can answer you by one word on all your questions: NO.
This is hardware issue, hopefully we will send back this **bleep** and will get 90% bonus on new Hero 10 😂😂😂
Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya 

Hiker

[ New ]

@godv quit your spamming and filling my inbox

Dude! take it on the chin that gopro CAN'T fix the problem move on already as i did - sold my 9s months ago to divers that don't care about the Gopop , happy insta customer now. they will GoBroke soon enough

But for F$*k sake shut up please! its not getting you anywhere