Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Nomad

Re: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

Hello, I was able to reproduce the crackles or pops with another camera connecting a simple piezo microphone and boosting up the input volume, some "pro" cameras have what it's called "preamps" to adjust the imput volume of a microphone.

What I think is that GoPro Labs that is launching firmwares to unlock technical features could look forward to implement an adjustable imput volume to avoid the popping which I'm pretty sure that it's caused by having the volume too high because compared to my other camera (in default volume) the audio of GoPro it's much louder.

Also in my tests the most loud and problematic microphone it's the front one below the lens.

GoPro Labs can be reached to their forum where people ask for certain features and this one could be it. Don't give up!

PD: maybe I'll upload video samples of all this tests demonstrating the cause of the poppings in the future if I have time

Hiker

[ New ]

@isaakonfire  Nice! If it's the case with GoPro, then you did better and faster job than GoPro... Let's just hope it is this, and will be fixed with software update.

Nomad

[ New ]

I've been waiting four months for someone from GoPro to determine when the sound defect will be fixed. I purchased a damaged camera and cannot get a refund. Can someone from GoPro finally give a meaningful answer? And not only our team knows the problem and is working on it.

Hiker

[ New ]

A YouTube friend of mine in the USA contacted them about it and they claimed to know nothing about it so he pointed them to this thread!

Nomad

[ New ]

The administrator wrote three weeks ago that he reported the problem to GoPro, so they know it

Hiker

[ New ]

gli amministratori sono mesi che dicono la stessa cosa, nel frattempo sono usciti ben 2 aggiornamenti a distanza di molti mesi uno dall'altro ed il problema non è stato minimamente affrontato.

Non ci crediamo più

Hiker

[ New ]

Yes, but the people dealing with customers aren’t aware so anyone complaining might well have a tough time getting money back or replacements when customer service don’t think that there is a problem.

Hiker

[ New ]
ho dovuto acquistare Adobe Audition per eliminare i CLICK/POP dai filmati che ho realizzato, l'unico modo utilizzando lo strumento cerotto per eliminare questi fastidiosi rumore ed evitare di innervosirmi e tirare una martellata a questa maledetta gopro hero 9
Hiker

[ New ]

Absolutely Andregixxer. Gopro are keeping very quiet.... probably because they can’t sort out a fix for it. That has been the problem with quite a few past GoPros. They get so far and then release a new one when there are still bugs in the old one. Then the support dwindles in favour of the new one.

Nomad

[ New ]

@andregixxer wrote:
ho dovuto acquistare Adobe Audition per eliminare i CLICK/POP dai filmati che ho realizzato, l'unico modo utilizzando lo strumento cerotto per eliminare questi fastidiosi rumore ed evitare di innervosirmi e tirare una martellata a questa maledetta gopro hero 9

I have to pay 25 euros a month to get good sound from GP9? Thank you very much

Hiker

[ New ]

My GoPro has been in the box since I bought it in October. Used it 4 times before I discovered the delights of freezing camera, heating up at 4k and 5k, a face that looked like it had makeup on and audio popping.

On a camera at this price level, that’s pretty poor isn’t it really?

Tourist

[ New ]

Thought I'd follow up with my experience since my last post.

After contacitn support again, they had me do a full factory reset. I then grabbed the Hero Labs firmware since I wanted to be able to use the new QR code system (which works great so far for me).

At this point the GoPro base and with Media Mod seem to be behaving themselves and don't have pops. When I connect my Rhode external mic (the same one a huge number of youtube people seem to be using), there's a huge amount of pops when moving the camera and some lower level frequent pops when the camera is still. I suspect the previous poster about the pre-amp not playing nice sometimes might indeed be the problem, since that Rhode mic doesn't have that problem if I hook it to my S9+ phone to record with.

So at this point using the "fine but not great" media mod mic, which can't handle wind but my indoor footage is okay.

Tourist

[ New ]

I really do not want to spend more money to get a media mod but I did because damm audio pops issue. Moreover, the sound quality of the media mod is much much worse than the internal mic. I do not want to put an external mic to this compact camera, and where is my waterproof????

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello Everyone!

Sorry for any trouble caused.

If you continue to get audio issues, please reach out to Support to proceed with the next steps.

Please submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Will this issue be resolved in a future camera firmware update?

Or is it a problem that cannot be solved without replacing the camera body due to a defective product?

We will wait for the answer.

Hiker

[ New ]
@aragon ma quanto ci godi a prenderci in giro...
Nomad

[ New ]

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hello Everyone!

If you continue to get audio issues, please reach out to Support to proceed with the next steps.

Please submit a request for a callback or initiate a chat session through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Ctrl A- ctrl- C ctrl V and so on for four months over and over. Man, do you think we're idiots?

Hiker

[ New ]

è evidente che lo pensano...

sono fortunati che non possiamo vederci di persona.

Tourist

[ New ]

@manfrednt wrote:

@aragon1006 wrote:

Hello Everyone!

Thanks!

Ej

Ctrl A- ctrl- C ctrl V and so on for four months over and over. Man, do you think we're idiots?

Yes he does!

Nomad

[ New ]

how can a company be so incompetent is beyond me - anyone else identifies a problem and brings forth a plan of action immediately - ESPECIALLY when its a core fundamental flaw

"sorry any trouble caused, blah, blah, blah" broken record; is this be most formal educated answer this company can supply????  

No mention of a plan of attack appart from we're aware of please contact support and the infinite loop begins because they make it SOOOO hard to contact support people give up?? 

STOP PALMING US OF TO ANOTHER DEPARTMENT! you do operate as a "team" don't you?

COME ON GOPRO bring in the brains of the operation and tell us how, when and why - i'd hate to see your returns pile. 

Surely someone in your rabbit hole knows whats going on and quit buying time with your cheap copy/paste responses!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hello everyone.

I bought my camera on 25/1/2021 and unfortunately I also have a problem with the sound :( . 
In my case it helped to change the "wind" option to off. I would have to do more tests. And now I don't know the best option for me will be a refund or waiting for an update. We still do not know if it is hardware or software fault? I have the latest software manually installed, the sd card is original from the GOPRO website formatted in the camera . I regret that I did not read this forum before I bought the camera . Best regards and I hope for a quick response from GOPRO  :)

Nomad

[ New ]

@dzierzal  I replaced my camera and sound is much better now, I do a tripod test: see if camera pops alone, if it does then it's very bad thing for sure. My replaced camera now pass the tripod test, the old one was shameless popping only standing still !

With the older posts what I was implying was that my replaced camera still pops when the mic gets directly hit or rubbed ( I think it's the lateral "drain water mic"), so could be that it's a matter of input volume, that there's nothing wrong with the microphones but a bad input threshold, only lowering the volume could solve it . Maybe this is a drama for a brand to be incapable of doing it right since the launch of the camera, never officially recognise...anything? (as other problems that are happening)

Tourist

[ New ]

I did more tests and I have a problem with each setting. it doesn't matter if it's on a tripod or not. I'll have to contact GoPro to see what they do. The camera is useless :(

Nomad

[ New ]

Unfortunately, GoPro will not fix this glitch. You have to accept it. Teach for the next time :-(

Tourist

[ New ]

but I don't think every camera is broken

Nomad

[ New ]

Well an irrefutable proof that your camera is faulty from factory, therefore the seller must replace the unit or return money, is a recording of video or audio sample where the camera pops alone, popping by touching directly a mic is harder to proof malfunction since, as I said, could be alleged that the microphone is high sensitive and, as all microphones do, if the signal gets overloaded it's natural to pop.

Hiker

Rif.: Hero 9 audio pops

[ New ]

Sto riscontrando il problema su ben due GOPRO HERO 9 CHE HO ACQUISTATO!

È inammissibile che non venga affrontato da GoPro la questione in modo serio e venta trascurata la cosa. Specie quando acquistando prodotti alternativi come INSTA o DJI non si riscontrano queste problematiche.

GoPro... non lamentatevi se state perdendo quote di mercato. L'ASSET principale per ogni azienda come la vostra è rendere felici i vostri clienti. Poi ora, con Amazon, è facile restituire i prodotti e prenderne uno di nuovo avendo tutti i soldi in dietro. Quindi è facile passare alla concorrenza.

Spero risolviate.

Hiker

[ New ]

@isaakonfire  So after the replacement you have no audio issues at all?

Nomad

[ New ]

Not with the tripod test, if you read my previous posts I explain the details with the tests and the two cameras I've had.

Sightseer

[ New ]

My camera seems like pops early in videos then stops.  Its annoying and seems to of happened hafter the latest firmware

Tourist

[ New ]
That's why I think this is a software problem
Nomad

[ New ]

Software or not it's technically a malfunction, trading laws are clear that matter. What I think it's incomprehensible for everyone is how much resources are being wasted, it's not like this company is new on tech, because the consumers won't just waste the money if it's not right.

Tourist

[ New ]

I agree with you , I hope it will be resolved soon .

Nomad

[ New ]

Well it certainly won't be fixed alone, it's been 5 months since this malfunction appeared publicly.

Tourist

[ New ]
I would like to exchange mine for a new one, but people get a new one and they have the same problem :(. you can't win. And it's a waste of time waiting for a replacement

Tourist

[ New ]

I sent feedback to GoPro with a link to this topic, we'll see what he replies.

Nomad

[ New ]

Oh, I replaced my GPH9 and the audio is good compared to the last one. I never buy online things too expensive for my budget, I recommend to buy directly to any big shop specialized in photo or video, those guys handle this situations on a everyday basis and if there's any problem the solution is straightforward simple: consumer rights

Tourist

[ New ]

@dzierzal wrote:
That's why I think this is a software problem

TMHO it is hardware related, I've had it with all the previous FW release too.

Tourist

[ New ]

people here said they had a problem after updating to new 1.5, I don't know what to think. I don't want to send and get a camera with the same problem. I will add that I bought a camera from their website.

Nomad

[ New ]

1- That's not true, this very post dates 4 months, before 1.5, the popping audio has been known since the launching of the camera 5 months ago.

2- My replaced camera have not this problem.

3- It's up to you if you accept a new camera malfunctioning

4- The majority of consumers don't want that and that's what it is being discussed here

Tourist

[ New ]

@isaakonfire wrote:

2- My replaced camera have not this problem.

3- It's up to you if you accept a new camera malfunctioning

For me the problem is that they will send you a replacement that is NOT TESTED for this issue, so if your a lucky you get a working cam. I was not lucky, same as EuroMillions lottery. ;-)

Regarding the "after new firmware" statement my guess is that many didn't notice the problem as they've only been recording in loud enviroments, but they read these posts after the upgrade to 1.5 and start testing in a quiet room noticing the problem and blaim the 1.5 FW. Also they may have changed the wind setting so they didn't notice the bug before, but after the FW update they are at standard settings and now they hear it.

Nomad

[ New ]

@myriamb3268 I don't think it's a lottery, I've had many "expensive" faulty products all via online trading, of course this is a factory thing except it's much easier to stitch faulty products when consumer is buying blindsided.

About the 1.5 firmware, really incomprehensible how a new firmware can introduce a big ass malfunctions as the vertical line problem, which I'm sure every GPH 9 have, after purchase It took me like 2 weeks to figure out if it was solvable software problem or a camera malfunction, one month later it still not being solved !

Then I read here about the audio pops, and my camera had it too, only passed me through because I was scrutinizing every graphic configuration of the camera looking for malfunctions, to then see here that someone got popping solved by replacing the camera, and that was it.

So yeah, I got replacement and the audio doesn't pop alone any more, confirmed.

Tourist

[ New ]

Do you test record with NO WIND ON and internal mic on?? If you set wind on the pops is gone but the sound is mono not stereo.

The camera must start in cold mode.

Tourist

[ New ]
that's why I think this is a software problem
Nomad

[ New ]

@vitalwave4384 Of course that I tried all the audio settings combiniations before demanding a replacement, not that I like to lose time negotiating a replacement with the seller, this is what that camera did only standing in a tripod: https://youtu.be/i2kPGWdGhtU

But yes, this seems to kill some residual poppings with the replacement when holding it by hand, when touching the mics as I described in earlier posts.

Thank you for the info, although I will make some tests to try pinpoint what is the exact hardware/software problem hoping that GoPro Labs, that is really the one making improvements, could do something with it. 

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006 

Will this issue be resolved in a future camera firmware update?

Or is it a problem that cannot be solved without replacing the camera body due to a defective product?

I only want to know about these two points.

We will wait for the answer.

Tourist

[ New ]

Add me to the growing list of users that have the popping noise with no solution in sight. Who is going to buy Hero 9 accessories for a defective product?

Nomad

[ New ]

Nobody will ever fix this problem. GoPro is counting on you to buy a faulty camera without it bothering you. Otherwise, they will exchange it for you three times from a faulty camera to the same faulty one. And then you lose the right to return and collect the cash. It is this company's plot to take advantage of the people.

Nomad

[ New ]

Sorry to hear that guys, don't mean to add more hatred to it already but what @vitalwave4384 said is true: only switching to WIND ON ( without RAW audio or anything ) disables the microphone that's causing the poppings.

Maybe it doesn't work for all the cameras, I'm sure that I tried it all before replacig my last one.

For last, there's a difference in the returning period that gives you a seller and the period that the laws of consumer protection gives you because of malfunction is much greater, like for months still the seller must find an agreement if the product is not good.

Hiker

[ New ]

"disables the microphone that's causing the poppings."

non è corretto, non viene disabilitato il microfono che da problemi ma viene invece applicato un filtro che attenua i rumori che vanno fuori scala come quelli del vento ed i cosidetti POP, ma se ascolti bene o analizzi il segnale audio con un programma dedicato anche se quasi impercettibile il POP/Click c'è lo stesso solo che fortemente smorzato.

Andrea